Do you want a FragBU 2k4 Video?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you want a 2k4 FragBU Video?

• No, but I would help if one were started.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
howl is the only one that's showed interest in actually creating the video. w0rf did at one point but he hasn't said anything lately.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
I have been absent while in the transition back intow windows from linux. I would be more than willing to edit the video. Because I enjoy video editing as a hobby, and my class load as school is minimal giving me a tremendous ammout of free time. Maybe this would give me something to do durring that free time.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
I voted "yes, I'd help" but it would probably involve more other stuff and less demo trawling. I could probably do some demo trawling, but it would probably be only about 10 demos a week, say. Estimating, we would probably get only about 20 hours of demos a week anyway, so about 60-70 demos. Given several views, though, it might take a lot longer.
  1. No.
  2. Probably not that many, but I might do a few.
  3. I think there's a fairly good chance if enough people put enough work into it. After all, the more work is put into it, the more quality comes out of it, hopefully.
  4. Yes.
  5. Edit: I keep forgetting to close them damn lists.

Turns2Ashes said:
If it's gonna be done, that is probably a bad system. What should probably happen is everyone looks through their own demos and submit to whoever's responsible for recording the videos the demo and times at which they got good frags, taking the responsibility off the people making it. I dunno about you but I would never watch a demo of 12 people from each of their perspectives over and over and over and over again for every map, nor would I ever want to push that task onto someone.
Agreed completely.

For finding good demos, I have a sort of system going where I have a roll of paper and I write down date/map/time information for whatever neat stuff (funny stuff, unusual frag, etc.) and then I can go back later and find that spot in the demo. I probably have about 40-50 such entries. (An entirely random headshot on Funkblast(?) in DM-Redkin comes to mind.) Unfortunately, if some people don't do this and we rely more or less entirely on that system, they might not get some otherwise impressive/amusing things in, so I don't doubt that we'll have to do other additional work.

As stated above, I'd like to help (and I've had some ideas for a video of my own, but maybe they could be integrated into a FragBU one) but the amount of time I'd be able to spend on it would probably be limited to around 4-5 hours a week.

Do serversides. Find some (temporary) hosting space, if you haven't already. Server-sides are so much easier to work with (I think) than client-side demos, and they can capture so much more (how many of you don't have autorecord on?) so I think it's important.

The more people we have helping, the better this video will be, so I think if you can even contribute a little (some demos, an editing idea or two, even just feedback) you should try to help.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We have a method of doing it, however neither of us are convinced that it is worth the effort.

Right now we have 10 people who want a video and are willing to help. This is going to cause the video to be WAY too focused unless they are willing to look for cool frags that people other than themselves have done.

We have 12 people that want a video and don't want to help. I figured that this number would be large (though, I expected it to be almost twice as large at least) because alot of people here don't want to go running through demos if they can just play the game instead. This is part of the difference (not good or bad, just different) between the community here in 2k3 and the community that is here now. I have felt, and still do feel, that the community based around FragBU is not as tightly knit as the community around FragBU 2k3, which doesn't mean much more than that I don't think we can do another FragBU video justice. I don't mean to offend anyone that thinks that is a direct attack on them personally, I just don't see it happening. For a multitude of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
Surely the people who don't want to help would at least submit their own demos? I keep track of funny/awesome stuff that happens to me, I already have a couple of FragBU demos I plan to force upon howl if this gets underway.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Linten said:
Surely the people who don't want to help would at least submit their own demos? I keep track of funny/awesome stuff that happens to me, I already have a couple of FragBU demos I plan to force upon howl if this gets underway.
Unfortunately, that's probably something that won't fly. If we DID do it it would have to be from the point we start onward, nothing in the past. That's part of the problem with doing it right now, FragBU has been going on forever and we have virtually no (if any) SSDs from then.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Linten said:
Surely the people who don't want to help would at least submit their own demos?

Already debuffed....

Dark Pulse said:
The need for Serversides is a must
Nereid said:
Server-sides are so much easier to work with (I think) than client-side demos, and they can capture so much more (how many of you don't have autorecord on?) so I think it's important.
etc

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Linten said:
You mean demos taken already won't fly, right? Because the point I was making still stands
I mean demos taken from your computer as well as ones that have already been taken.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Raffi's major concern with SSD's is the reduction in game play(-ability). Now i do not know the status or hardware of the server being used to run the vipers link. He is under the impression that the computer/server will be bogged down with the extra demands on the processor and hard drive to record and write the SSD's. I will say that this is one place I have little knowlege of, but when i did a bot test with 12v12 on face classic running a server side demo for 25 minutes. I only noticed a 2-3 avg fps drop from not taking an SSD the test before, and the demo itself was 22 mb and could be 7ziped (LzmA'ed iirc) to about 15mb. That is not a significant drop in fps or a major size delima(I would assume), granted the server is not my computer, but the server is also not rendering visual frames.

Any other thoughts on the matter of preformance with SSD's?

Next, Maybe the poll shold be re-phrased so that choice 2 should be Yes, and I will go through my own demos and tell the offical waters/frappers time, date, map, etc. and choice 1 would be Yes, and I offer to go through the SSD's and look for non reported frags/funny stuffs and/or be a frapper.

Frapper = My term for person using fraps to get the video file.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I don't know much about servers either, but we did SSD's on The Web (Webslinger's server), and I doubt his server was a robust as Viper's. Why would there be such a bog on our current server?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Fraps = sucks. Very sucks. I hope, provided the video gets made, that it's dumpframes'd, otherwise it'll look and run like poo, just like all Fraps video.

On that note, your computer is not a server. I don't know exactly what Viper's setup is, but I'm fairly sure he has a multiple instances of UT2004 running on each piece of server hardware. A good test, perhaps, would be opening UT2004 three times on your computer, each with a 6v6 bot match, and then take a demo. :)

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Not all servers are being loaded at the same time however. We may get an inconvienient time where the other 2 are running heavy loads then it might affect it more, but It would be nice to know what it would run like aka a test run some weekday before FBU.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Renegade Retard said:
I don't know much about servers either, but we did SSD's on The Web (Webslinger's server), and I doubt his server was a robust as Viper's. Why would there be such a bog on our current server?
ONS and AS would kill it IMO.