UE3 - UT3 Please help with bot pathing/attack questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stradigos

Mar 23, 2009
Okay guys, I'm having a few problems getting my bot to do what I want it to do, and I just can not find any good tutorials on Bot AI. Please answer my questions! I need to get this figured out for school.

I know how to create a spawn point, add paths, spawn the bot via "addbots 1" and then have the bot follow those paths and deviant from those paths to come after me. That's easy.

And I know how to make a trigger to spawn a bot and have the bot move to different path nodes in a waypoint fashion and then stop and shoot at me from a still position.

However, I don't know how to spawn a bot, have a bot move to different paths nodes, and then after reaching it's destination, switch into deathmatch mode to where it would then proceed to seek me out and kill me. (So basically, I don't know how to combine the two things I know). It seems that once I add add any kismet or triggers, the automatic 'seek and destroy' instinct of the bot is lost. How can I have it move along a scripted path, but then after completion, get back into 'seek and destroy' mode to where it would come after me and not necessarily follow the path nodes?

Thank you in advance, I really need this working for school. Our team depends on your knowledge!

Stradigos

Mar 23, 2009
Let's try this again...

Okay, I guess the question I have is: How do you tell a bot via Kismet to go into the seek and destroy mode that deathmatch has it do? There doesn’t seem to be anything out in the open to do that. Once I have the bot spawn in using a trigger instead of using "addbots 1", I have no idea how to set it back into that deathmatch state of mind.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah last I checked there isn't much you can pick from the AI nodes in Kismet. You can tell a AI to go to a specific node at a specific moment, but to do what you'd want them to would require Uscripting.

Now that is completely another topic, I can not help you with either.

Stradigos

Mar 23, 2009
Kantham, do you know if setting up a Move to Actor and having the destination the "player" would work? Shouldn't that mean that the bot would move towards the player? I have set it up, but it doesn't work. Here is a screenshot of Kismet:

2009-03-24_0327.png

Are you fairly sure it doesn't work just out of Kismet? If so, do you know where I could look to find the code? Good tutorials/examples are far and few between for this, and I'm a bit surprised.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well technically yes you could tell it to follow the player (the first Move to actor node is useless), but it's really tricky, the bot may avoid a lot of task while doing that in a loop. I thought you wanted a specific "Seek and destroy" command.

Stradigos

Mar 23, 2009
I do, but I guess that's not it eh? How would I go about doing that if not with Move to? I need to be able to put him back on task again.

Here's my latest progression. I put it in a loop, like you said, and now he follows me like he a magnet lol!

2009-03-24_1607.png

Any ideas?