First encounter with a cheater

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Who remembers the first time they saw a skinhack, aimbot, or other blatantly obvious cheat online? I clearly remember mine: this was before aimbots had become a big problem in UT1, pretty soon after I bought the game. I was playing some zeroping instagib deathmatch, and this game joined the server with the nickname 'aimbot'. He said 'ok, I'm just testing this guys' and proceeded to win the 15-frag match in like a minute without dying once. I had no idea what was going on, I was just like 'wow, no human could possibly have that fast of reflexes'. Later I realized it was a cheat, but I thought that an aimbot meant that it was a program that somebody ran on a server which would play the game for them, like an aimbot couldn't even be a human. So for awhile, whenever I saw somebody with suspiciously good aim I'd just try to talk to them and if they answered, I'd be satisfied that they were human and not a bot. :lol:

I went for a long time without seeing another aimbot, although I accused a couple people of it. Much later, I played two guys with the clan tag 'C4E' on a zeroping instagib CTF server for like 20 minutes, and after awhile of them killing me before I ever had time to shoot, I decided something was up. I accused them of cheating a few times, and they stoutly denied it so I was like, ok, maybe they're just the best players I've ever seen. After a couple games one of them said something along the lines of 'hahaha yeah we're perfect.' 'But perfection requires a little outside help.' I should've left the server a long time ago and not let them actually have the fun of playing a couple games.... everybody else knew what was going on and left right away.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
First one I saw was that hack for ZP where it would just
kill everyone on the server each time it was used, that
was pretty annoying :p

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I've had my fair share of aimbots :/ . I can't really remember the first time I saw one but I do remember one time when a player called bulls*it entered the server and mowed most of the players down. I specifically remember Liandri being the map and marvelled at how one guy who said was an assault player dodged into his side to deliver a powerful blow with shock primary, fragging "bulls*it" while he was painting the whole of the room green with a plasma cannon. I think I still have a demo of that somewhere.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
only time I ever saw one was when the UT'99 bots FIRST surfaced. Rodzilla (then, DarkReaper), got a hold of one and got me in IRC to join the server (I think it was The Web). So, we're on Coret and he's standing in one of the hallways with the Shock Rifle. So I just start jumping and dodging all over the place, and sure enough, his starts flailing EVERYWHERE (while standing in one place) trying to shoot me. Evidently, the only thing he was doing was holding down the fire button. I don't know if he had lag or what, but he had a hard time getting a lock on me.

At the time it was hilarious (many LOL's ensued). It looked ridiculous, and didn't really seem very practical... but OH what a horrible outcome the development of those programs had.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Webby, his ping was probably too high for the aimbot to keep up with you. :) One good indication of an aimbot is, if they're missing people, that they consistently miss a certain distance behind them.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
The first one I ever ran into was the crosshair skinhack on a LMS server. It was Hyperblast and the guy was sticking to the outside area and the back of the ship(flak/goo area). I believe it was one of the clans known for cheating at the time. Their name escapes me since they aren't worthy of me remembering that detail.

I can only remember one aimbot find on a server. I believe it was on Deck16][ and you couldn't go out in the open without getting shot. He'd pick you off with sniper as soon as you came near him. He would always track the closest player and as soon as that guy died he lock onto the next one. Again the name escapes me. I only remember his lameness.

[MUTTS] Hiteche5

Rodney-like
Jun 15, 2000
Groton, Connecticut....again
Visit site
I remember the first one I saw. It was on Lava Giant. Remember when that invisible skin was out? I was defending in that game and was going after the flag carrier when I see a floating flak cannon. I had already heard of the skin from the forums so I knew what to expect. For me it was an oddity.

I don't think I would really know an aimbot if I saw one. So many people really do have wicked aim...look at Rev.!!

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
[QUOTE='[MUTTS]I don't think I would really know an aimbot if I saw one. So many people really do have wicked aim...look at Rev.!![/QUOTE]

I thought Rev WAS an aimbot!?!?!

Geez, so much for me posting my first encounter then! :p

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hmm. I'm pretty sure the first aimbot encounter I had was on (surprise) UT's Face. Spawning on either side of the tower makes you a pretty helpless vicitim for someone with an aimbot.

I couldn't even spawn and move without suffering a headshot. It didn't take long for me to wise up and leave.

I've seen countless numbers of annoying skin hacks in UT.

About the only cheating that I've seen in UT2003 was the floating body hack. Other than that, it's been remarkably cheat free.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
I never played UT online, so I didn't get the chance to see any cheats then.

I saw the floating body hack once, but didn't know what it was at the time. The person using it lost the game by a large amount anyway.

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
The first cheat I ran into was really more of an exploit in the code of CS (don't flame for say mentioning that game on this forum). I the early versions of CS, you could shout through the entire map with the AWP rifle. You could could download a skin for the model that made the barrel a mile long. Then while someone else was spectacting, they could guide your extra long barrel that reached across the map to the closet enemy. Then, bang! He would die from a shot from what seemed to come out of nowhere. Hopefully that all made sense.

Other than cheats in Half-life, I haven't really dealt with much in the Unreal games. Perhaps that is because I couldn't play online with ut99 unforgiving netcode.

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
My first "aimbot" experience was also on Face. It's was a LowGrab/InstaGib server (long before these dominated UT/UT2003), and 2 guys were standing in the Redeemer room shooting literally everybody that come out from our base. In a matter of 5 minutes both had racked up 100+ kills without dying once. Needless to say, I quit playing on that server, along with all other Face-Only servers.

CSHP did come out not too long after. Not that it made a major difference...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Mine was in Unreal in Deck16, A looooong time ago.

This guy was headshotting everyone from the upper rifle spot. So I started ducking and it took him 3 shots to kill me (which is how many body shots it takes with the rifle). So I knew he was probably botting and I spectated him and he started jumping around and was spinning in the air and was still headshotting people that you could barely see. I started calling him names, and of course he thought it was funny. But it was pretty neat to see how a bot works from the behindview 0 spectate mode. It didn't last long though, everyone left.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Hanover_Fist said:
Mine was in Unreal in Deck16, A looooong time ago.

This guy was headshotting everyone from the upper rifle spot. So I started ducking and it took him 3 shots to kill me (which is how many body shots it takes with the rifle). So I knew he was probably botting and I spectated him and he started jumping around and was spinning in the air and was still headshotting people that you could barely see. I started calling him names, and of course he thought it was funny. But it was pretty neat to see how a bot works from the behindview 0 spectate mode. It didn't last long though, everyone left.

It's funny how most bot encounters happened on Deck or Face in UT... ;)

It seems like most of the botters have moved to instagib though in UT2k3.

Camel

dduurrrrrrrrrr
Jun 26, 2001
blarg
Visit site
The first one I saw was in Facing Worlds. A guy from the other team was sitting on one of the high ledges of my teams base, sniping everyone as the spawned. He never missed so I figured he was botting. So I left the game and came back in as a spectator to see if he was cheating. He was.
I came back into the came and when I spawned on the other side of the base opposite from the cheater, I ran into the base an picked up the RL. I went in the teleporter that takes you to the very top of the base. I started loading up rockets and jumped off the edge. As I passed him on the way down I let 6 rockets loose in his face. :)

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
A skinhack.
A dude who could change his skin.
He wore a black, green and also transparent skin (not the powerup), and as I was a newbie, I wondered how he did it, because I wanted to try it.
Thought it was a part of the game.

I've seen some suspicious players from time to time, but nothing I can confirm...