Unreal Engine 4 Video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Agent4054

Jan 25, 2008
U3 never even got so far as to implement FSAA, and it still doesn't even to this day (for which I have never forgiven them).

o_O

Might want to recheck your information there. FSAA has been usable in UDK for quite some time now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Uh huh. Except that the demo ran on a single Kepler card (GTX 680?). Those are expensive, but quite available to consumers. After a few months, they'll be pretty much of medium price.

Also, argh! It's Unreal Engine 1, Unreal Engine 2, Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Engine 4. Not Unreal, Unreal II, Unreal III, Unreal IV, two if which are SP games and the rest hopefully will be SP games in the future.
Can I just add my voice that this drives me insane as well?

IGN is calling this "Unreal 4 Engine". They have been calling the engine the wrong name since 2001 when UE2 was announced, probably intentionally as a clickbait to capture anyone who happens to be searching for "Unreal 4" on Google.

Stupid amateurs.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Just checked IGN and it's "Unreal Engine 4" now on the homepage. Well, at least IGN pay attention to it. But on Gamespot, you can't find the videos. I did a quick search and all I can find are some user posts in the forums.
So sometimes they are more than stupid. But so what, I never care about GS videos coz I have GT to like.

And the demo is running on a GTX680 which means after one year or two the platform for UE4 will be cheap enough for many TRUE FPS FANS!

But UE4 is supposed to be developed for next-gen consoles, right? So why worry about if your PC can run it smoothly anyway? The consoles are always better choices for gamers who don't want to spend too much.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I'm quite interested to see if having a more physically realistic lighting engine would mean a lot less hand lighting to make scenes look good. Extra lighting can be applied just to spice things up.

That's the point of the realtime GI/reflection/... For most common environments, one or two main light sources, and done! Just like in photography, usually one or two main lights with some thoughtful shadows and angles, are pretty enough for amazing pictures.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Can I just add my voice that this drives me insane as well?

IGN is calling this "Unreal 4 Engine". They have been calling the engine the wrong name since 2001 when UE2 was announced, probably intentionally as a clickbait to capture anyone who happens to be searching for "Unreal 4" on Google.

Stupid amateurs.

Ahh it also drives me insane. A lot of the iOS blogs say it as well when talking about Infinity Blade.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
very pretty. so with that techdemo, does that mean we get an ut4 with every lightning reduced to "barely visible", color reduced to "grey & black", & cray-exclusive specs ? why is there no showcase of how awesome and fantastic the gamespy integration is ? ;)

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
This demo has nothing to do with UT4. It basically shows you how easy the building of lighting, but that does not indicate the lighting will be barely visible, or not, neither about the color. These are things to be concerned by level artists, not the engine.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This demo has nothing to do with UT4. It basically shows you how easy the building of lighting, but that does not indicate the lighting will be barely visible, or not, neither about the color. These are things to be concerned by level artists, not the engine.

I think you missed the sarcasm in the post you were replying to ;)