How 'bout some civvies now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
This has, without a doubt, been suggested a score of times, but now I'm adding my voice to the damn crowd.

Some civilians in Infiltration would be great... unarmed bots who run from gun shots gun toting soldiers would add an element of risk to your game play -- a terrified civilian could very well give away a stealthy soldier's position.

You could even edit the pathnodes to make "cower points", where the bots will hide and duck and cower (like corners, under tables, etc.) -- they could run to the nearest safe cower point and stick around there.

Somebody could make a few different models (male and female/adult and child) and a variety of skins -- scientists and technicians in a laboratory or military facility, peasants in a village, etc.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Hehe, and you cold tell them what to do, and if they refuse you can blow their heads off!!!

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I think it would be cool to make a map of the Texas A&M campus and put a bunch of NPCs running around dodging your sniper fire and....nevermind :D

Newman

The Gump
lol

We need to have some school map like zundfolge said...wait this isn't a counter-terrorist mod, is it. Hmm...maybe a map set in the Alps. That would be so tight, on top of a huge mountain...maybe a cable car that works. It'd be like some army took over an old military fort/monestary (just watched a documentary on the movie "Where Eagles Dare" in which the Italians/Germans take over some fort in the Alps and the allies try to reclaim it. The story was fake, though.) So anyhoo, that's my .02.

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
not a CPU is necessary. they civ AI would be very simple. just follow pathnodes and hide/make animations of panic and scream for theyr lives :D if you have played infmonsters online you´d saw that 100 monsters in the map doesnt lag/charge the processor. and those civs doesnt need the intelligence of a skaarj.

/edit i like the idea /edit

/edit 2 makink them low-poly woulld help too. just put good textures to simulate quality /edit 2

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Ah, I've been misinterpreted.

Not like hostages or nothing, neither side has a vested interest in whether these bystanders live or die... they're just there, in the way, and that's it. They're like trees that move and walk and scream. Maybe you'll shoot them, maybe you won't. You don't have to go after them, and you don't have to rescue them. They're just some unfortunate blokes that got stuck in a warzone.

Galthor

antagonist, absolut
Aug 9, 2001
Rhein-Main
Visit site
civilians would be cool if they fit to the theme of the map. it would be even better if they belonged only to one side, so the defending team has to minimize civilian casualties while the other team doesnt care.:instagib:
i think that could be some kind of secondary mission goal in EAS.

Pleuresaap

Corporal Cock
Apr 18, 2001
up yours
Visit site
lol ramon, It is a Pleuresaap wich is a very special kind of monkey, so it looks high :D

I like hostages, or being a hostage, then grabbing a gun and shooting the terrorists :D

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
maybe they can be human shields, who knows... but i would like to see some kind of "im the hero" AI. where a bissnesman civ take out his calc and try to knock a soldier down :D

/pleuresapp: my dancin munkky ownz yurs!! they will get you! you cant getaway!
monkeys.gif
monkeys.gif
monkeys.gif

Pleuresaap

Corporal Cock
Apr 18, 2001
up yours
Visit site
aaaaaaaargh dancing munky's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/me runs away screaming
/me looks back and decides munkky's are small enough
/me runs to dancin munkky's and squashes them all with my feet :p
/me runs back to ramon...ramon, where did you get that cool dancing munky?

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
Perfection: Those who know of The Way do not speak of The Way.
Those who speak of The Way do not truly know The Way.

ermh, what was the question, please??
:p

/EDIT i screwed the cool phrase, plz read it again :) /EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I was thinking some Hero AI would be funny too, a civvie runs, grabs a dead soldier's gun, and tries to shoot people. But nah, to complex.

I was just thinking about the penalty for it, and there's not one really viable. I believe that under the Geneva Pact, it is illegal to kill a civvie knowingly and with full knowledge that he is unarmed.

What I thought was that if, at the end of the round, Infiltration had a "confirmed kill" board (individual or team score) (and that's a big <i>if</i>), you could take a major penalty for killing a civvie.

But I hate the idea of individual kills in infiltration (maybe a confirmed kill stat at the end of the game would be okay,) but all in all, the civilians should really just be treated as a mobile piece of the map. You shouldn't kill them, and most people's morals would prevent them from capping an innocent civvie, electronic or not (I would hope -- mine do usually) so, I mean, they're just there. They're part of the atmosphere, not a necessary part of the game. They run, they cower, they inadvertantly (I know I spelled that wrong, I don't care) give away your position. If you shoot them, they scream and make some noise, they thud when they fall down, so even if you're using a suppressed weapon, there's a chance killing a civvie will reveal your position.

All in all, think "atmosphere."

Meat Sac

May 30, 2001
PDX
Visit site
I see your point Mojo and I like the whole concept. Mine was just a question of "what if" you capped a civie. Hehe, I wouldn't go running around everywhere killing peeps either. Penalty could be tough with no individual scoring in 2.86 but maybe a big hit on the accuracy stats you will get. I would LMAO is they implemented a hero factor. Could you shoot him then? I think so...