My "Thing I'd like to see in Envy" thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
One major thing I'd like them to do for the new game is capture that "arena tv show feel."

The whole point of this thing is it's supposed to be a futuristic pro-wrestling bloodsport with guns.

UT captured that pretty well with it's map designs and backround.
2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... then kinda forgot about it during the level designs, etc.
2K4... welll... 2k4 is more of a wargame than a televised bloodsport and feels nothing like what it's supposed to be.
UC2 from what I've seen from the videos it seems like they tried to stick with it and bring that feel back, (although I'm still mad at Epic for changing Gorge from a psycho penitentiary planet killer to an eyeliner fan-jealous malcolm-wannabee wuss. DAMN YOU!!!!)

I'd like to see lots of backround and a more "televised event" type atmosphere in Envy. Hell even if the map is placed in the woods somewhere, a little camera placed here and there in a tree would totally bring that feel back and remind you millions of people are watching you merrily frag away.

I'd also like to see this reflected more in the single-player. Maybe some reall short cut scenes before a match of the opponents entering the ring. Remember in the 2k3 intro when Malcolm hits the big red button to choose the playing field? How cool would THAT be. Playing a single player tournament and choosing random-type levels with the push of a button. It would be different everytime you played it.

Just some ideas... can ya tell I'm bored at the moment.. hehe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It would've been fun, in UT, if you had been able to wander around the Liandri building between ladder games.
See the crowd cheering for their favourite clan.. watching dozens of televisions broadcasting the next ctf-as-dom game etc...

Being among the crowd, visiting your quarters, chatting with your clanmates, taunting oppponents etc :D

You determine how long. If you return to a certain "room" (whatever... 0_°) the game switches back to the ladder menu.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
BooGiTyBoY said:
The whole point of this thing is it's supposed to be a futuristic pro-wrestling bloodsport with guns.

2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... .
I don't mean this as an assault on you personally, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. :lol: And I believe (I could be wrong) there's a quote somewhere in which Cliffyb expressed his dislike with the UT-Pro Wrestling association.

This is just my personal taste, but I can't stand pro wrestling and I'll feel both embarrassed and irritated to see it more closely associated (even just in concept) with my favorite online computer game. :hmm:

But...

NeoNite said:
It would've been fun, in UT, if you had been able to wander around the Liandri building between ladder games.
See the crowd cheering for their favourite clan.. watching dozens of televisions broadcasting the next ctf-as-dom game etc...

Being among the crowd, visiting your quarters, chatting with your clanmates, taunting oppponents etc :D

You determine how long. If you return to a certain "room" (whatever... 0_°) the game switches back to the ladder menu.
Now this I like. :D :tup: I think something like this would be a fantastic idea (well, maybe not the crowds part).

For people who just want to get on with it, you can explicitly direct them to their next match via a lighted path along the floors or walls of the Liandri Complex (anyone here read Ender's Game?).

Or if you choose, you could visit different areas of the complex to scout out your opponents by speccing their matches.

And offering some basic interaction with characters in the single-player story outside of the actual matches would provide a great opportunity to flesh-out their personalities.

I guess this would seem similar to The City section in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Hopefully Epic would muster a more refined and focused version of the concept. :hmm: :D

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Go&nd said:
Now this I like. :D :tup: I think something like this would be a fantastic idea (well, maybe not the crowds part).

For people who just want to get on with it, you can explicitly direct them to their next match via a lighted path along the floors or walls of the Liandri Complex (anyone here read Ender's Game?).

Or if you choose, you could visit different areas of the complex to scout out your opponents by speccing their matches.

And offering some basic interaction with characters in the single-player story outside of the actual matches would provide a great opportunity to flesh-out their personalities.

I guess this would seem similar to The City section in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Hopefully Epic would muster a more refined and focused version of the concept. :hmm: :D
I completely love this idea as well. While I doubt it will happen, it would be insanely cool. Even cooler if you could set matches this way - If the Juggs get sick of your taunting, they could challenge you.

This could also factor a bit into the game "Lobbies" and the like.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I, too, do not like the "sport" feel. There should be some kind of story behind it, and the Liandri building lobby is a good idea, but it shouldn't be like American Idol with each team competing for a money prize or something while following the drama. It's just too cliche.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Go&nd said:
I don't mean this as an assault on you personally, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. :lol: And I believe (I could be wrong) there's a quote somewhere in which Cliffyb expressed his dislike with the UT-Pro Wrestling association.
This is just my personal taste, but I can't stand pro wrestling and I'll feel both embarrassed and irritated to see it more closely associated (even just in concept) with my favorite online computer game. :hmm:

Why would I take that personally? haha. You're entitled to your opinion.

But anyways did you even play the first UT? The whole tournament started with underground leagues that went mainstream and were televised. The entire backround of the game is based on this. Should I have used Major League Baseball with guns as my example instead? haha. ;)
I for one would like to see that idea continued and was actually annoyed that 2k4 kind of broke away from that a little.

Far as the lobby thing goes, I'd like to see something along those lines as well as long as it's kept simple in design. :D

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
IMHO the direction UT took for 2k3 was the wrong one, and i have a polar view on your first post boogity :)

I'd rather have the 'underground' feel back of assassins, mercs, cybers and the disgraced instead of supertroopers and pissed off aliens who lost their cats to a car.

But yeah, i'd rather see some greater character and tournament world development. Just none of this Announcer & Summariser pish.

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I really like the having to buy players thing in ut200X, taht was cool, brought back mech warrior memories. Customisability in single player would be cool, like outfitting on certain team mates (to increase their speed/aim etc), for example you could buy implants to increase their abilities, rather than buy an expensive team mate.
Also i like a little drama in my single player, instead of just arena match after arena match. It'd be cool if there were interrupted/invaded/sabotaged matches. Oh yeah and a singleplayer STORY.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
UT "story"

This may sound familiar ;O)

"In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-bared fighting.

Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions.

The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise.

The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament.

Now it is 2341, 50 years have passed since founding of DeathMatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions.

You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary.

The time has come to prove you are the best; to crush your enemies; to win the Tournament."

About the crowds well, maybe make it so you only view them for a short instance.
To get the arena feel.
(Nothing like the ut2K3 intro though, that one had the pro wrestling thing going on. Didn't like it.)

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
BooGiTyBoY said:
But anyways did you even play the first UT?
Don't mistake me for taking offense, but I know a few dozen friends and clan members who would laugh hysterically at someone asking me if I ever played the first UT. :lol:

;):tup:

(I've been dodging and shock-hoing since the days of the original Unreal. :D )

There is a distinct difference between the grim and gritty sci-fi bloodbath portrayed in UT and the brightly-colored flamboyance and contrived over-acting of pro wrestling. ;)

With the single-player intro in UT2K3 they took more of a pro wrestling approach. I viewed it as a departure from the distinct flavor of the original UT and when I viewed it, I got that sinking feeling that I would be sorely disappointed with UT2003.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Dark Pulse said:
Problem with the UT Story is that Epic fubared the timeline: UT says it takes place in 2341, whereas UT200x says UT took place circa 2293 (With 2003 being in 2302 and 2004 being in 2303.)

OMGEPICPLZFIXKTHX :p

Well I don't care that epic has changed the timeline. UT storyline/dates is/are correct for me no matter what changed in the next ut games...

Last edited:

Captain Kewl

I know kewl.
Feb 13, 2001
IN YOUR HOUSE
Visit site
The pro wrestling intro r0x0r3d (they kinda ruined it in the final build -- it was funnier in the beta). Compared to the boring OMG LOOK XAN IS IMPERVIOUS TO ROCKETS thing they had in 2k4 anyway. :p

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
I'd like to see something totally new, something like....

... Finally, as Liandri proceeded into its ___th year, they were confronted with rebels, this time, the rebels did not want to see Liandri in business so a whole new conflict erupted....

...and then make a whole Single Player game like Halo or Unreal2 that shows you (as a rebel) storming into the Liandri main office headquarters shooting people like a good FPS...like shooting enemies and a bunch of pillars in the meantime and admire those polygonal effects when the pillar is all shot up (like in The Matrix)

(but all of this would break the Unreal feeling)