Crash when attempting to play OGG music?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
I recently tried to have some music playing in a map and ran into a crash problem. I tried the same methods using a completely un-modified version of the Runtime and got the same crash, so I'm fairly certain it's nothing I changed.

I tried to get the music playing in two ways. The first was using the Audio section of the LevelInfo's properties; I typed in the name of the OGG file I wanted (no extension) and when I tried to run the map I got this crash:

General protection fault!

History: UALAudioSubsystem::RegisterSound <- UALAudioSubsystem::playMusic <- UObject::processEvent <- (RTGameInfo musictest.RTGameInfo0, Function Runtime.RTGameInfo.PostLogin) <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (musictest) <- ClientInit <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I tried another method, using a MusicTrigger that gets triggered whenever the player enters the map, and got the exact same crash. I checked the code for both approaches and they both use the same function.

The OGG file itself is kosher, I even tried substituting an OGG from UT2003's \Music directory, and got the same crash.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
oneirotekt said:
I recently tried to have some music playing in a map and ran into a crash problem. I tried the same methods using a completely un-modified version of the Runtime and got the same crash, so I'm fairly certain it's nothing I changed.

I tried to get the music playing in two ways. The first was using the Audio section of the LevelInfo's properties; I typed in the name of the OGG file I wanted (no extension) and when I tried to run the map I got this crash:

I tried another method, using a MusicTrigger that gets triggered whenever the player enters the map, and got the exact same crash. I checked the code for both approaches and they both use the same function.

The OGG file itself is kosher, I even tried substituting an OGG from UT2003's \Music directory, and got the same crash.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

well
The runtime's audio feature only supports .umx files and you will get an error if you try to play back ogg files. This ogg file playing back should definitely be added in the runtime, since the umx file is just like midi file, which you can't possibly, or very hard to, convert from mp3 or ogg.

I would like to know if there are other types that can be played back by the Runtime and that the new version of the runtime would support it..

When is the new runtime going to come out???

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
Are you sure? UMX support was dropped fairly early on in the development of the second generation Unreal engine, and OGG support was added not long after. UT2003 and all other games using the 2nd gen engine all support OGG. I was under the impression that it was broken specifically in the runtime.

Anyone know if any Epic / UDN people read this forum, or am I just wasting my time?

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
Yeah, the editors are different. Also the Runtime uses UMX files instead of OGG files, which is a slight difference. Another thing is parts of the runtime are quite different.
Yes I am pretty sure that the runtime is specifically designed so that it would play back UMX files.

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
patrickrho, uh, you're wrong. UMX files are long dead.

I don't know why music is broken, but it apparently is. We'll be looking into it.

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
Vito said:
patrickrho, uh, you're wrong. UMX files are long dead.

I don't know why music is broken, but it apparently is. We'll be looking into it.

Excellent, thank you very much sir!

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
It's confirmed that Ogg music playback is definitely broken. Don't know why. It's on the list of things to fix. We may or may not do a bugfix release before the post-UT2004 version, but we'll know "soon."

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
Nagshi said:
Does any one know of a working link for the files metioned above it would be great to have them, thanx in advance.

Cheers.

Attached. Attachments to forum posts should hang around for a while, right? Hopefully everyone can grab it here.

Attachments

• UE2RuntimeVorbisDLLs-22261903.zip
    68.8 KB · Views: 77

Leionaad

Jul 12, 2004
I looked in the UT2k4 files some time ago and I saw there are umx's in the sounds directory, and ogg files in the music directory. hmmm. I don't even know what I am trying to point out.