sound for footsteps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

daggo

Oct 21, 2003
I really think it takes away from feeling immersed in the scene that you do not hear your footsteps in the demo map. Does anyone know how one could add them?

daggo

Oct 21, 2003
So far we have used the Quake3 engine to produce visualizations of interesting mathematical surfaces. It really helps when you walk on a surface and it really sounds like metal ... Just look at the screenshots at

http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/geometrie/gallery/vr/vr.shtml

It would definitely be nice to be able to distribute this stuff to colleagues, students or anyone interested.

Vito, does your joke imply that is impossible to add "feet" just by using unrealEd?

Last edited:

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
Sort of.

Footstep sounds are normally generated when animation notifications are triggered. That is, when an animation reaches a certain frame (usually the frame when a foot hits the ground), it calls a function that plays the sound.

Since you have no animations (indeed, no animations), we didn't set up any notifies to play footstep sounds. So at the very least, you'd need to add in a little code that plays footsteps at regular intervals.

daggo

Oct 21, 2003
Thank You!

What would be the place for this code to be inserted? Would it be possible to have it triggered by movement of the player?

MeanFish

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Hao Niu-rou said:
if you checked the players movement and what physics state they're in you could prolly do that

Would it be possible to do it by monitoring keyboard interactions? i.e. if you're holding a walk button and you're in walk mode...couldn't you create an interval using the Tick() (at least I think this is the function you would use for interval calculations) function or something similar that would trigger a sound without a single animation involved?

I'm kind of a newbie, so if anything I just said doesn't make any sense feel free to laugh and point.

I think that's what that last guy just said anyways. He just said it easier. I think. Unless he said something different. Gah. Need more soda.

Last edited:

daggo

Oct 21, 2003
Ahhh, ... now that the sources are out it seems to me that my footsteps problem could be solved by specifying under defaultproperties in UnrealEngine2Runtime\Runtime\Classes\RTPawn.uc a more sophisticated Mesh with proper animations that trigger sounds via suitable notifies. Is this correct?

daggo

Oct 21, 2003
Tried this:

- Added an AnimNotify_Sound with parameters

sound: SoundEffectsTest
volume: 1.0
radius: 0
NotifyFrame 0.0

to the boxrun animation of Animations\RT_Box_K.ukx, saved it as Animations\TestBox.ukx

- created a file Test\Classes\TestPawn.uc which looks like Runtime\RTPawn.uc except for declaring TestBox.BoxModel as its default Mesh

- changed in the URL section of System\UE2Runtime.ini the line "Class=Runtime\RTPawn" to "Class=Test.TestPawn". Added in the end the line "EditPackages=Test".

Now ucc make still fails to generate Test.u and I see no effect. Moreover UnrealEd complains about not finding a package Test. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

rodrigoelp

Feb 1, 2004
i am very interested about this topic, cuz i am making a game right now, and it is a 3rd person play, so, i do watch the feets of my character and i would like to hear its steps :(