[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
What are your views on Epic bringing back the old UT99 snip[er rifle in UT2004?

Personally, I think it's a very bad idea. The Sniper rifle was removed in UT2003 for a reason. Unless something about the UT2004 sniper rifle is seriously nerfed, it's going to be just as unbalanced as the old one was. Also, where does this leave the lightning gun? Is that now obsolete? Or will it fill a different weapon "niche" in the game.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I believe it's only for the new gamemodes. Right now we've no clue will the ltg be removed from tdm and ctf.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
All this talk about weapon balance... you people don't realize how good you have it!

[old coot]back in my day, we didn't HAVE balance, we had
  • 2 shotguns with way too much spread
  • 2 nailguns that I'm pretty sure shot out corn kernels
  • a worthless grenade launcher that was powerful, but you never knew where they were going
  • an overpowered lightning bolt that could clear out most National Forrests
  • and a super fast and overpowered rocket launcher
and we LIKED IT![/old coot]

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well at least the ut sniper rifle doesn't look ridiculous :eek:

The SR can be "spammy" (you know) in the hands of a llama...

Would it hurt to bring the old SR back? And maybe nerf it a bit (not too much), so people won't nag, nag ,nag and nag til they drop about yet again a spammy, destructive weapon?

Maybe make it look more like ehm.. remember that preview movie of unreal championship in (I think it was) march 2002? It looked pretty good then.
Would suit the more futuristic look of ut2003-4 I suppose?

LG was a horrible idea btw .. uh. >_<

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think the lg was a great idea. You no longer have any of the problems with the sniper rifle. Yet even with fixing all those problems and sugh the lg is still arguably the most powerfull gun in the game, although it takes lots of skill to get there. I think you should KEEP IT! Adding a sniper rifle would sorta be self defeating.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
spammeh?!?!?! :O

upon hearing someone load a rocket launcher behind me,*bullet time*, armed with my sniper rifle i used to cleanly take their head off within a split second. nowt spammy about that.

now what is spammy: is a silly little lightning effect which doesn't even hit anywhere in the crosshair.

in basics: i like a weapon what fires in a straight line and hits the middle of the crosshair dead on. tis what i trained with, tis what im good at. cam and scope you say? nah, most of you would of seen me running about taking heads off without even zooming much. least with the sniper zoom it's the place where i aim it at. with LG it just flaps about and ends up way off target.
[/rant]
thank you. :)

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I'd rather have a new original weapon instead of an old weapon that's got a good replacement.
Unless they cut the power & zoom-factor I wonder why anyone would want a weapon that could compete with the lightninggun.

Besides : there's the ChaosUt2 Sniperrifle ... so an 'official' sniperrifle like ye olde gun already exists.

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
They are bringing it back as a NEW weapon, so that means the lightning gun will still be in there! Im sure the sniper rifle is optional! :eek:

also, with UT2004 being backwards compatable with UT2003, thats even more reason to believe that its optional

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
this new sniper will probably be found only in onslaught and overlord maps which will supposedly be absolutely huge. Still there are problems with the old sniper rifle and I don't want to see them come back. If they are going to add a sniper

It must have a visable trail.
It should be completely worthless for anything other than extreemly long range shots. (ligtning gun for mid to long range and this sniper for extended long range).
Cannot have a rediculous rate of fire/damage.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
TWD said:
this new sniper will probably be found only in onslaught and overlord maps which will supposedly be absolutely huge. Still there are problems with the old sniper rifle and I don't want to see them come back. If they are going to add a sniper

It must have a visable trail.
It should be completely worthless for anything other than extreemly long range shots. (ligtning gun for mid to long range and this sniper for extended long range).
Cannot have a rediculous rate of fire/damage.

Sounds like tribe's laser sniper. :lol:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
DeaJae said:
spammeh?!?!?! :O

upon hearing someone load a rocket launcher behind me,*bullet time*, armed with my sniper rifle i used to cleanly take their head off within a split second. nowt spammy about that.

now what is spammy: is a silly little lightning effect which doesn't even hit anywhere in the crosshair.

in basics: i like a weapon what fires in a straight line and hits the middle of the crosshair dead on. tis what i trained with, tis what im good at. cam and scope you say? nah, most of you would of seen me running about taking heads off without even zooming much. least with the sniper zoom it's the place where i aim it at. with LG it just flaps about and ends up way off target.
[/rant]
thank you. :)

I think they with spammy means that the 'old' sniper had no reload- or charge time. You could just hold down fire and it would constantly fire until it was out of ammo.