CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
When my Internet is extremely f**ked up it takes CoD4 forever to launch. Not 5-7 minutes but at least 1-2. Been having connection problems lately?

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Got back into playing this earlier today after a 6+ month hiatus (they're starting a weekly session up at work), and although I'm sure this is not news to anyone who has been playing it the past half year, I was baffled at how I filter-searched for partially filled non-hardcore, non-passworded servers, and with 20000 servers found none that matched the filter.
I never quite understood the drama involved with people using grenade launchers before playing this afternoon's session of hardcore, and I was immediately appalled at the frustration it invokes. I hope they're not deciding on hardcore at work :/

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Got back into playing this earlier today after a 6+ month hiatus (they're starting a weekly session up at work), and although I'm sure this is not news to anyone who has been playing it the past half year, I was baffled at how I filter-searched for partially filled non-hardcore, non-passworded servers, and with 20000 servers found none that matched the filter.
I think there is and always has been something wrong with the server browser, to be honest. Try browsing through Xfire to find more results. Of course, you can't filter things as well so maybe that's just as useless. :p

I never quite understood the drama involved with people using grenade launchers before playing this afternoon's session of hardcore, and I was immediately appalled at the frustration it invokes. I hope they're not deciding on hardcore at work :/
The tube is only a problem in hardcore. It's a minor inconvenience in normal mode (don't listen to "Killer") but in hardcore it becomes incredibly overpowered. In normal mode its kill radius is rather small (half that or so of a regular grenade) but in hardcore it kills in a huge radius. That radius coupled with its speed means you can't avoid it. If someone wants to kill you with it they will.

It's been ages since I played a hardcore match but I enjoyed using the tube in HQ games. Whenever everyone's camped around a capture point the overpowered tube racks up kills like crazy. :)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Oh, I guess I didn't think about hardcore, but that's okay because hardcore is terrible and people who play it because it's "realistic" are annoying as hell.

Sjosz, it's likely the server browser just broke at that point. Mine breaks all the time and I have to restart the game to get it to work again, sometimes I even have to restart a few times. If I hit the refresh button on it, it will usually break. It's so stupid. You'd think with all this great technology you could come up with a working god damn server browser, but a lot of games **** this up lately.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Oh, I guess I didn't think about hardcore, but that's okay because hardcore is terrible and people who play it because it's "realistic" are annoying as hell.

Sjosz, it's likely the server browser just broke at that point. Mine breaks all the time and I have to restart the game to get it to work again, sometimes I even have to restart a few times. If I hit the refresh button on it, it will usually break. It's so stupid. You'd think with all this great technology you could come up with a working god damn server browser, but a lot of games **** this up lately.

So, with the server browser, what is the deal with there being no apparent friends list or anything? I've looked but there doesn't seem to be such functionality.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
So, with the server browser, what is the deal with there being no apparent friends list or anything? I've looked but there doesn't seem to be such functionality.

Yup, no friends list. You'll have to use XFire or ask your friend for the IP on voice chat or something. :( It sucks. This is one of the things I was speaking of when I was complaining about the server browser. It's 2009, people, these are basic features!

Mar 6, 2004
I think there is and always has been something wrong with the server browser, to be honest. Try browsing through Xfire to find more results. Of course, you can't filter things as well so maybe that's just as useless. :p

The tube is only a problem in hardcore. It's a minor inconvenience in normal mode (don't listen to "Killer") but in hardcore it becomes incredibly overpowered. In normal mode its kill radius is rather small (half that or so of a regular grenade) but in hardcore it kills in a huge radius. That radius coupled with its speed means you can't avoid it. If someone wants to kill you with it they will.

It's been ages since I played a hardcore match but I enjoyed using the tube in HQ games. Whenever everyone's camped around a capture point the overpowered tube racks up kills like crazy. :)

****in right it's overpowered, any idiot can do great with it and take out 6 guys every time. Or when on count down as you start the game you die INSTANTLY because some ******* wants to make his e-penis that much bigger. I only play HC now if my aim fails me in normal mode, which is not that often, or i want a break. I still do fine in normal mode (2-1 or 3-1 ratios) if i am not tripple teamed. I use SMG's or the AK47 mixed with the Carbine.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ooooookay so I take it everyone else just double click the exe and their game load in like 20 seconds which is entirely normal. What the hell is wrong with my COD4? :(

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
You said you backed up your profiles... Did you put them right back when you reinstalled? In other words, did you try running the game completely fresh? I remember whenever UT2004 f**ked up it was usually just a matter of letting the game produce new UT2004/User.ini files and it was fixed. Maybe you need to let CoD4 do the same but for your profiles.

Also, you run the game through Steam, right? Maybe that has something to do with it. D:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You said you backed up your profiles... Did you put them right back when you reinstalled?
Not from what I recall. What I did try is to backup my profile first, then see if that was the problem, when I saw the problem persisted I decided to try a re-install, and deleted all the remaining files before re-installing just to make it really clean.

Also, you run the game through Steam, right?
Yes.

Maybe that has something to do with it. D:
Maybe. But then this started a little while back, everything was fine before.

Mar 6, 2004
Son of a bitch, can't keep a 4-1 ratio, or even my 5-1 ratio, i gotta have a suck streak at the end. Finally ended my suck streak and had a 4-1 and 5-1 ratio almost all map and end up with a lousy 2-1.

26-5 on Creek, ended 37-17 or around there.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Nobody cares. Seriously.

But I care!

Today I found a server where people are actually enforcing the rules... and then I got to witness an aimbot in action. Fun fun fun... so who'll bet money on them fixing all this stuff in MW2? I'm not that optimistic.