received some sound ranting - please be honest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I

INF_Neo

I took a look at the SF forum and checked a topic that concerned my sounds.
Everyone said that my sounds were muffled, too silent and without any bass.

Now please be honest. What do you (really) think about my sounds? I really try to get the best ones but if this is not good enough it might be the best if the team gets a better guy who's in charge of the fx.

The thing is that the Ueditor seems to muffle the sounds that are imported. If I compare the original ones on my computer with the ones I hear in the game I'm sometimes shocked.
Shall I add more bass in the sounds? Until now I didn't want to do that just because a Beretta doesn't have ANY bass when fired but if you all want it I'll do that. But please don't tell me to add just a little bit of bass. Either I put bass in or I don't.

I also could amplify the sounds so you all get headaches when you play longer than 15 minutes but not because of the loud sounds but because of the crap that comes out of your boxes. It would be much louder, that's right but you could not recognise the sound anymore. A Barret would almost sound like a PSG.

Please, be honest when you answer.

Thanks,
-Neo

F

farrp

When I first played INF, like 4 months ago, I thought the sounds where perfect. In anticipation of V2.7 and V3.0 I've become familiar with HL mods. Counter STike is one of my favorites. The sounds ARE perfect. But that is for the HalfLife engine. The Unreal/UT engine isn't as good with sounds. (or so i've been told) I think you do the best that anyone can do with Unreal/UT. The sounds do sound a little muffled, but it's not because of you.

Just my opinion
Kisel /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Z

Zaren

I don't have any complaints about the sound quality. This might be due to the fact I play with headphones on (so as not to disturb sleepign family members), but the game sounds good to me. If I can hear that guy reloading around the corner, that's all the extra sound I need /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

D

disturbed

Your sounds are very good. The only sound I really have any complaints about is the M3 Super 90. It sounds really muffled. It's really lacking in the higher freqencies. It sounds like someone turned down the higher half of an equalizer.

I have downloaded all those animations for the INF 3 weapons and the accompanying sounds are excellent. Not one complaint in that department.

In other words, don't quit /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

B

Billdog

I love the sounds.
They are a bit muffled, I'm convinced that you're capable of handling it. Maybe you can get a few secrets out of Epic or Legend.
You're doing fine.

------------------
-> If you haven't seen this, you know nothing about Infiltration: The Roadmap!
-> Are you having trouble with the Editor or is it the other way around? Kick this!

P

Psg1

In all honesty the sounds are great. I've noticed that sometimes when there are a great deal of things going on at once that some sounds are muffled or dont come through at all but that happens with the stock UT sounds as well. Frankly your right on weapons like the beretta and the M16 don't really have an audible bass note to them. I would like the sounds to stay just the way they are, My two cents take it for what it's worth.

------------------
"In a world of compromise, some don't!"©Heckler & Koch

C

Catalyst

Most of the sounds for 2.7 are much improved! Great job Neo!

S

ShakKen

Personally, I think your sounds are good=) cept for the silenced weapons, they need work.

IMO, CS's weapon sounds are crap. They sound good, but their real counterparts don't sound like that.

I mean for god's sake, I never believed someone could ph**k up an M4 carbine til I played CS. I'mean, the scope is anti-reflect coated on the wrong lens and check out the CrAzY ejection gate! Most 5.56 silencers are rated 50 rounds milspec ball ammo on full auto before the disks start to melt.

I

INF_Neo

Thanks guys! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The MP5SD has already got another sound and yesterday I sent Warren a new Benelli sound.

------------------

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man
stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to
the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and
blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the
great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he
wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while
daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who
know neither victory nor defeat."

- "The Man in the Arena"

R

Repairman_Jack

Don't touch the Bass! Your sounds are great.

------------------
SEZ
Jon
--an armed society is a
polite society-

D

Dragon

I don't know jack about real weapon sounds but I think you do a Kick A** job with the souuds INF_Neo. Keep it up!!!!!

D

disturbed

By the way, how many of the weapon sounds do you have done for INF 3? After going back and listening to the .avi animation files I came to realize that there's nothing wrong with your sounds. They kick ass!

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

K

Kibbles-N-Bits

Hey Neo, you are probably THE #1 sound engineer out there on 3rd Party teams! I've had friends compare INF and Unreal SFX and they COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY! Your work is excellent!
Ok, now... as for bass... I believe weapons like the shotgun and rocket launcher need more bass... but I agree with you on the fact that certain weapons don't need it. Great Job!

---------
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
---------

I

INF_Neo

For 3.0?
Hmm, I think I should have sent all firing sounds.
You know, it's not hard work getting a real sound. The work is to make the sound "fit" on the gun when playing.
I.E. I had a real M16 single shot sound but it sounded like crap on the M16. I tweaked it for about an hour and got a better one.

------------------
Anybody out there knows what a Tigger is?