Patch, sounds

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Sorry but, why are the street sounds different, then the other ones form 8.5.3 not to mention that all my foot step sounds in my map are gone. How do I get around this, do I need to zip the old (INF_Mapping.u) file in with my map. The old street sounds were prefect for marble floors? If they were going to change the sound, it could have been added as a new sound instead of changing the original. Doses that mean that every map out there will now have a different sound then what to author wanted? Just opened up Azteca, and the sounds on the steps are different now, ...nice notice!

Street 1
Street2

Last edited:

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
If you want a texture to use a different sound than the original you will have to export it then reimport it into your own custom texture pack. By doing what you did and just changing it then saving it you overwrote the old texture pack which means if you try to play online you'll get a version mismatch and it would let you join.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
No, I didn’t change the original, I exported the texture, and then imported it Into the MyLevel PK with a different name: then I applied the sound to my new imported texture. I already knew about that.
The problem is: you don’t provide a sound for the community, and then go changing it, now every map out there has a different sound then what the author wanted. Sounds are the mood or the feeling of a map, It’s like taking an instrument away from a song.
I would have to guess that the reason who ever it was that changed the sounds (street_1), 2, and 3 , is probably because they didn’t resemble real street sounds close enough.
That’s fine, But who ever it was could have at lease keep the original and renamed the sound files. There was a sound that had very marble like sound that made a click when you walked across it, (Very cool sounding) now it is not even in the pack. It was a common sense move, and not the wisest.

Including my own sounds is not a problem, It becomes a problem when you submit your map on the net, and then a new version comes out and..Well you get what I’m saying.

"I guess I’m going to have to include my own sounds, because I can’t be sure if they will be there in the morning."

Last edited:

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Hey Starstreams, you're the "Mike" that emailed me about footstep sounds, right?

Well let me respond in this thread then. To add a footstep sound to a texture imported into "MyLevel", you do as you do w/ any costum pack you're creating. First go to the sound browser, bring up the INF footstep sounds, select the one you want. Then go back to the texture browser, bring up your "MyLevel" pack, right-click on your imported texture, select "edit properties" (or something to that effect). This brings up the settings for that texture. Down the list a little you'll see a setting for footstep sounds. Open it up, & hit the "use" button there. It should add in the INF footstep sound you selected in the sounds browser.

Hope that helps.

As for the changed footstep sounds in 2.85.5, all they did was modify the sound for combat boots on concrete/hard surfaces. It still sounds like you're walking on concrete/cement/pavement, only more realistic (I think). So I'm pretty happy w/ the change myself. That old sound made you feel like you were wearing dress shoes or something... :D

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Hello Alpha_9

Yes that is what I did, so that is no problem. :)

I do agree that the new concrete sound doses sound more like real concrete, however the original sound would have been a perfect candidate for a marble floor, it had a unique sound, (Click..click type of sound) I would think that they would have renamed it, instead of just throwing it out.

No big deal, I was able to get the old sound by temporally reinstalling 2.85.3 exported and renamed it and put it into my own custom pack. It’s probably better that I make my own pack anyway incase any other updates come about.

Thanks

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Well I am confused SS, Are you able to hear your NEW sound, I would be very surprised if you can.. !

I was under the possible misapprehension that all the sounds were hard coded into the Inf_Mapping.U file.

The reason I say this is because you give a wooded floor the "Wood1" sounds and it plays "Wood?" where ? is 1,2 or 3 so you get a random woody sound.

So if you added a sound package which contained Marble1, 2 & 3 what logic would play your sound if it is NOT one the code knows about... ?

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
I know what your saying, because the first time I tried it, the sound just got reverted back to the new one, so It was a no go the first attempt.

Yes in fact the sound doses play. After I uninstalled 2.85.5, I went into the old U pack, and exported it as a wav, giving it a new name right off the bat.
Then after re-installing the 2.85.5 again, I imported it into my own pack.

I acutely have the old sounds, (The ones that I like) if you would like them to see what I mean. They are about 1 mb. I only took (Street 1), and (Street 2)

Mike.