OT: Time for yall to help me now. =)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Okay. After going through TWO FREAKING bad motherboards from ABIT, I finally got a working one.

My Dad paid me in October to build him a 1Ghz T-Bird, and I finally have it together.

I'm installing Windows 2000 Professional.

Athlon T-Bird: 1Ghz
Motherboard: ABIT KT7
256MB PC133 Athlon Approved RAM
Voodoo3 2000
15GB ATA66 7200RPM Drive
52X CD
8x4x32x CD-RW
no name Sound card
no name NIC
Extra Printer Port (ISA slot)

Now... here's my question:

Aside from the usual driver hunt for the noname stuff, what compatibility issues with Windows 2000 should I be concerned about?

Thanks!

Vikin'

Jan 26, 2001
Visit site
Lemme get this straight...

You build a system to be used with Windows 2000 but neglect to check the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) put out by Microsoft on the W2K page?

Best of luck to you now..the system is already built.

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Heh heh,

Welcome to my world...

Abit KT7-RAID (in non-RAID config)
1.1 GHz Athlon
Asus v7700 Geforce2 GTS
Win2000
(2) 45-gig IBM drives
Plextor 12x CDRW/32x
Zip
Floppy
256 MB CAS-2 RAM
Acoustic Edge Soundcard
D-Link NIC

Check out:

http://www.icrontic.com

Their forums just got hosed, but it's the most knowledgeable place for this sort of thing

The only major issues I've had is when I've tried to install a DVD drive (Creative and Toshiba)...it all goes to sh!t basically...sound crackles and I get no hardware accelleration.

For some reason, there's some problem with my sound card/DVD/Win2K combo...

But otherwise, there are just some things you can learn at icrontic about issues with DMA and the BIOS settings.

Check out the KT7 faq, which will have most of them.

Hope that helps!

Hahahahahaha - Roost is getting advice from the Mac guy....doh!!!!

-Scott
[muTTs]_Das

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
The ONLY way to learn is the hard way. :D You can read all you want about it but everything you learn goes to heck when things go wrong.

It took you a while to get that comp set up Das but, I'll bet it was one heck of a crash course in PCs. :D

I'm going to set up another comp with most likely the same parts. Let me know how it goes Roo. :)

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Well, considering the OS was a last minute consideration... yeah, I didn't bother looking at MS's HCL list, as it's usually shit anyway (I've seen all kinds of stuff work that's not listed there).

We were gonna do WinME, but I couldn't find the CD.

And it's not really a trial thingy here... he lives 1000 miles away. Yeah, he's computer literate, but man, I would not want to talk him through fixin' something.

He runs his own computer based business, but he and I butt heads on a few things - so it's not always easy.

Anyway, so far, install went great. Had one instantaneous reboot - Explorer locked up once.

Got W2K SP1 installed, O2K SR-1, SP2 installed... all the critical updates from MS.

So far so good. I'll finish up tomorrow or Sunday (D&D on Saturday :D).

Night guys.

Thanks.