Free until February: What to do?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
Soooo.... Now I've exceeded the 20 day maximum absence period of my current school, and I'm going to have to wait until at least February to transfer to a different school if I do at all. Obviously, I have a hell of a lot of free time now. I don't know what to do.

I'd greatly appreciate suggestions on how to use my time productively in this period .:)

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
I'm looking for serious replies, guys. Also contemplating just dropping out right now and getting a GED - what will I be doing to myself with that?

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
.altan said:
I'm looking for serious replies, guys. Also contemplating just dropping out right now and getting a GED - what will I be doing to myself with that?

Serious reply.

Do you have any intentions of going to a university or college? If so, you might look better to them by sticking in school and getting your degree that way. However, if you are great at taking standardize tests and are well-educated, the GED route is the way to go.

This advice is brought to you by a third year Graduate school student. :)

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
I'm fairly sure the GED is something I can easily pass, but going to a college at one point is something I might want to do. Boarding school is also looking like an option right now - since there aren't any other schools I can go to in this country.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
.altan said:

I don't know how community colleges are in Turkey, but I do have experience with them in California.

I always hated school. Ever since about 4th grade. I was enjoying myself in high school, however this was because I was not attending any of my assigned classes with the exception of orchestra, and my drama teachers' assistant period, with the exception of a few classes my friends were in. I was even opting to drop into honors english with a professor I liked, instead of going to my math class. In short, I was wasting a load of time.

I dropped out of high school after my junior year, taking the CHSPE (GED for minors in California) and passing easily, as I'm sure you will if you decide to take it. I was thinking (As you probably are) that community college would be a way to speed up my education, and perhaps it might even be more challenging. I was wrong on both accounts, but far more on the latter.

Community college was completely unchallenging. The school seemed like remedial high school, only one where cigarettes were allowed. All of the classes were dumbed down to the absolute lowest common denominator, and most had incompetent teachers. I couldn't handle it, I dropped out, and now I'm training to be a chef.

It requires a real drive to work and succeed in community college, if you're of a decent intelligence, as the desperation of attending a school filled with retards both teaching you, and as classmates, will get to you in time.

My girlfriend, who dropped out with me back in high school, stuck it out through community college and is now attending a good university (UCLA). She's enjoying herself, and learning new things, going on digs for trilobytes, all sorts of wacky stuff that she'd not have had the opportunity to do so without going to college.

If you plan on going to college, which you should do unless you have no aspirations that cannot be achieved through vocational schools, I suggest you avoid community college at all costs.

Additional information that I couldn't find a good place for in my post:

GED is essentially useless.

QAPete's suggestion is a good suggestion. If you enjoy writing, and interviewing, that is.

My suggestion: Do things you enjoy and excel at. Pursue them. People have been telling me this throughout my life, and I've never really listened.

Last: I like your photography a lot. It's good. The fact that you're using a digicam and manipulating the images to look that good is impressive. Maybe you could pursue that.

And I wanna ask you about the tricks you're using sometime too. :p

Short version: Blah Blah don't go to community college blah blah.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
Thanks for all the advice, and the compliments. KJAX, I don't think I'm anywhere near some of the mappers at the moment, especially ones like Tonnberry and Hourences etc., but I appreciate the thought.

I've applied as a writer for a game magazine that's just started up. It's one of two gaming magazines in Turkey, and they are in a real need of people who know enough about games beyond the LOL CS DIALBOX 2 ROX LOL stage most Turkish gamers are in at the moment, and I think I could fulfill that position. Interviews are also a great idea, and I'll pursue those as well.

The school has offered to have my slate completely wiped so I can return, but I just don't think I'm up to it. Looks like boarding school is the only option I have in terms of continuing high-school level education.

Thanks.

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
.altan said:
Thanks for all the advice, and the compliments. KJAX, I don't think I'm anywhere near some of the mappers at the moment, especially ones like Tonnberry and Hourences etc., but I appreciate the thought.

I've applied as a writer for a game magazine that's just started up. It's one of two gaming magazines in Turkey, and they are in a real need of people who know enough about games beyond the LOL CS DIALBOX 2 ROX LOL stage most Turkish gamers are in at the moment, and I think I could fulfill that position. Interviews are also a great idea, and I'll pursue those as well.

The school has offered to have my slate completely wiped so I can return, but I just don't think I'm up to it. Looks like boarding school is the only option I have in terms of continuing high-school level education.

Thanks.

No problem, dude. Good luck.