Borderlands Screenshot

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The change in the art direction of Borderlands has been a pretty big topic of conversation with some bristling at the mention of "cel-shading" and others expressing interest at the twist.

Well, Gearbox has finally coughed up a formerly PC Gamer-exclusive screenshot of the game and I don't think it fits the idea I had in my head when I first heard that term tossed about. To me it looks more like a gritty high-quality computer-animated film. Sign me up!

WildFlower

Feb 26, 2008
This cannot be true. So many people are saying that UE3 games look all the same.

;)

Hehe, for me, this is the first time my interest in the game got sparked. It looks pretty great.

I wonder how much of that image translates into the actual game, i.e. how much of it is retouched or taken under dubious circumstances (screenshot: *cough* taken from our game as it runs on a Cray supercomputer in 12800x10240 with high quality textures that'll never ship with the game... and downsized by a factor of 10).

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, I had initial reservations when I posted the original news story awhile back, but that's not obtrusive at all.

In fact, I kind of like it. It does everything they promised it would, and the characters don't look like a flat, washed-out mess.

khindjal

Mar 1, 2009
for me, this too sparked an interest in the game.

i think it is much more pleasing to the eye now.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I think most people assumed that it would look like the relatively crude cel-shading techniques of about ten years ago. But this look great! Hard to see how people could be displeased at the new look.

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Do you think that kind of cell-shading is completely possible in the ut3 editor? I can't ever seem to get the line to be that thin, but I've also never tried it on any of my models before, only bsp. I guess I'm assuming it doesnt work well on bsp because the face is to large?

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Do you think that kind of cell-shading is completely possible in the ut3 editor? I can't ever seem to get the line to be that thin, but I've also never tried it on any of my models before, only bsp. I guess I'm assuming it doesnt work well on bsp because the face is to large?

It's probably some custom shaders or post process they've made for the game.