Fanatics of Realism Mods

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Originally posted by Nemephosis
As long as people support garbage, garbage will be all that we're given. The new Infiltration comes out, with more tweaks, unoriginal weapons and bugs than before and everyone falls all over themselves downloading it.

Yeah, obviously since it's a fucking realism game they shouldn't use the guns that most militaries use! They should just make up laser-beam shooting OICW look-alikes, since people have tons of those in real life! "FUCKING MILITARY, THEY ARE SO UNORIGINAL, ALWAYS USING THE SAME M16!!"

Meanwhile truly great mods like U4E and U4E Fortress get little to no recognition cause the mindless drones are all out playing Infiltration/SF/TO/CS/whatever.

Uh-huh. Because there has only been about 2,000 ultra-crazy weapons mods since quake 1. Obviously since someone decided to play a mod you don't like, and decide to not jump on YOUR bandwagon, they must be a mindless drone!!

"Oh I get to play a game with an MP5!" whoopdie-doo. I can go to a gun range with an MP5 and its the same thing.

Yeah, everyone can afford MP5's! Everyone lives in a country where MP5's are legal! Everyone has a gun license! Well, whoopdie-doo, I can get a large rambo-esque knife and stab people to death and it's the same thing as U4E! I can get a howitzer and gib people at will just like U4E!

Maybe if the unrealism mods had an MP5 and an AK47, people would download them. But then the people would ONLY be using the MP5 and AK47.

Yeah, it's called a fad, smart guy. A few years ago the fad was TFC clones. The quality games will survive and retain a small following, while the shitty clones will be rooted out. Besides, Infiltration is from before the whole "realism-craze". Maybe you should do your homework instead of just spouting inane bs?

realism lovers. I just wanna smack every one of them with a copy of Rainbow 6 and say "YOU'RE PLAYING UNREAL TOURNAMENT! WRONG GAME SUCKA!"

unrealism lovers. I just wanna smack every one of them with a large hammer and say "YOU KNOW MODIFICATIONS EDIT GAMES IN ANY WAY YOU PLEASE, SUCKA!".

Originally posted by modsquad
Why do so many people want to play realism mods when they are playing a game called UNREAL Tournament?

LOL

I love this quote.

its like saying "Why do so many people want to play realism mods when they are playing a game called Half-Life?"

a name of a game should not dictate what mods your allowed to make for it :p

I guess those star wars mods should take a hike becasue they are not apart of UNREAL Tournament!! and those TRON mods too, also those damned sword mods :D

love the logic this guy :D

Re: Re: Fanatics of Realism Mods

Originally posted by phatcat

LOL

I love this quote.

its like saying "Why do so many people want to play realism mods when they are playing a game called Half-Life?"

a name of a game should not dictate what mods your allowed to make for it :p

I guess those star wars mods should take a hike becasue they are not apart of UNREAL Tournament!! and those TRON mods too, also those damned sword mods :D

love the logic this guy uses :D

EDIT
(doh can I spell and complete sentences :p)
BTW, guys don't take our roasting to seriously, we are a bit fanatic at times about our Fav MOD (INFILTRATION), so try not to take offence :p

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
woah...woah...i mean, WOAH....

and here I thought these forums were timid. First of all Lifesbane, could we maybe consolidate a bit here?

And, with the size thing. Counter-Strike in it's entirety is about 100 megs. TO is two files, one 100 mb and one 30 mb. I'm trying to download it as we speak, and it's pretty difficult to track down...the download list is mostly out of date (note to TO guys - email your mirror sites). StrikeForce is over 250MB not including MAP PACKS.

Now, I understand that TC's, by definition, rewrite everything. But you can't compare apples to oranges. CS is 100 megs large because it got a huge community and they had a retail CD release. When it started, it wasn't that large. And it's the smallest of most of the realism mods.

I'm just saying that mod makers should realize that downloading the mod is the first step to anyone joining their community. The larger and more difficult the file(s) are, the less likely people will be to just try it out.

rgx :minigun:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of SF, but if i recall it's the textures that cause the downloads to be so huge. In all honesty though the maps SF uses are pretty impressive looking, so maybe it's worth it.. nah.

The reason why CS gets to be the smallest DL is due to the Half-life engine, and it's "real world" setting. Where as Unreal mods that try to recreate "real world" settings often can't utilize any pre exsist retail textures, and thus must be created specificallly for that map and downloaded.

Why the craze for the realistic weapons? It's probably because First person is the closest thing to VR for an average person and there for is the best way to "simulate" a given situation. Now it's a given fact that "action" movies have a much larger demographic than "sci-fi" or "fantasy" at least for movies. So i don't find it surprising that the majority of people prefer playing with weapons that they can relate to either from movies or books or some other media.

Personally i'd prefer a good mix of realistic weapons in unrealistic situations. Metal Gear solid, the matrix, Half-life, resident evil, or even Aliens to some extent are good examples of mixing realistic weapons with science fiction.

now if i were to make a game, i'd take a good selection of realistic weapons, and then drop that person in a world like doom. Lots of dumb bad guys with big teeth, and unworldly powers vs you and your friends with your M16's and Mp5's ect.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by RegularX
And, with the size thing. Counter-Strike in it's entirety is about 100 megs. TO is two files, one 100 mb and one 30 mb. I'm trying to download it as we speak, and it's pretty difficult to track down...the download list is mostly out of date (note to TO guys - email your mirror sites). StrikeForce is over 250MB not including MAP PACKS.

Now, I understand that TC's, by definition, rewrite everything. But you can't compare apples to oranges. CS is 100 megs large because it got a huge community and they had a retail CD release. When it started, it wasn't that large. And it's the smallest of most of the realism mods.

I'm just saying that mod makers should realize that downloading the mod is the first step to anyone joining their community. The larger and more difficult the file(s) are, the less likely people will be to just try it out.

Actually, StrikeForce official mappacks are in the 250 executive file. The mappacks alone took more than 200mb. You can compare by checking the map & texture folder and compared it with the system, sound and rest of the stuff. The codings took less than 50mb I'm certain.
The reason why mods like TO maintain a smaller size is because it's using a lot of UT's game physics. Meanwhile mods like INF and SF are pretty close to TC.

Counterstrike isn't a TC. The player physics is just like those of half-life with little or no changes made to them if you observe carefully. having new skins and new weapon models doesn't made a TC.

mods like infiltration intends to draw a large community but that is not the priority. Everytime mod makers wants to draw a large community(reducing D/L size for this instance) it had the chance of affecting the quality of how their mod could had turn out. Mods shouldn't be restricted by it's audience imho.

[imho]Unreal4ever doesn't work for me anymore. The weapons are always overly unbalance even with the best combination. It's still fun blasting those zombies with only-headshot-kills mode. But I really prefer to play a game of Weapon Factory instead. But this is really just my opinion.[/imho]

Also, having another mp5 in games really don't matters to gamers. Compare the mp5 of Infitration and Counterstrike. You'll realise it's two very different weapons actually. Both have a different impact gameplay wise. It's "what-this-weapon-will-do-for-my-gameplay-experience" that matters.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Actually, these days CS maps use very few of the original Half-Life tex's. But I imagine a less powerful engine also translates into smaller meshes, models, etc.

And I agree with the mixture, which is what I'm going for in my stuff. It was one of HL's thematic strengths.

rgx:shock:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by phatcat

*yawn* :eek:

I doubt you have even played INF.
I wonder why they even let you review mods with that kind of bias opinion.

if your going to review mods you should be open to all types, realistic and unrealistic.

you're yammering about nothing. *bonks phatcat on the head with a large "SHADDAP" sign ;)

OBVIOUSLY (or not so obviously) I'm not gonna review a mod I'm biased against. I've told Peter a couple of times that "I don't feel I can review this mod and give it an unbiased score, is there something else I can review instead?"

I may not like INF too much (I did try 2.75, didn't like that either) but you believe I would go and review a version of it? Honestly, I would have expected something a little smarter from you man, I've seen other posts and you're a good guy and all (hell you're a great guy) but think a little ;)

Donnellizer: what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Well seriously, what would the point be? It wouldn't be a review so much as a slander. I think it's safe to say I'm not stupid enough to do that ;)

Don't worry, I don't have a vendetta with Infiltration. *loads Shock Rifle and aims at TO* ;):D

j/k! :lol:

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
/me cocks his SAW and riddles Nemephosis with a hundred more air-holes
bigun2.gif
:p

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I was standing more than 10 feet away so all the bullets missed me :D:D:D

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
A SAW? Bah, I'd rather use this: http://www.metalstorm.com/videos/ms_36barrel_mpg.zip ;)

CS is 100 megs large because it got a huge community and they had a retail CD release. When it started, it wasn't that large. And it's the smallest of most of the realism mods.

When I started playing Infiltration, which was about version 2.3 or 2.4, it was about a 6mb download. Maps added maybe another 8mb. The game gradually started heading towards a more realistic path after version 2.75. I myself hated 2.75 so I never really played it, and I don't remember the download size.

When Infiltration started having greater file sizes, it already had a decent following. Sure, not one as large as CS. But, most of us were ready, able, and willing to download a file that large.

Now, you say that this will detract some people from downloading it. I agree that it may in some cases...especially those that have 56k or below. But the people who would truly enjoy Infiltration would probably have enough evidence from the screenshots that the game is worth the download. The other way we get people to play is via word of mouth, whether from Real Life or from other areas. I myself have gotten many friends to start playing Infiltration.

As I did mention in the posts above, you can, if you did want to play INF and not download it, get it on CD from FilePlanet. And, soon enough, there >may< be a CD from the INF team with all the base stuff along with possibly some communitiy maps.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Jesus fuckin Christ, Nemephosis. You're pretty good at whining and complaining about free mods, why don't you actually try and make one? Atleast spend more time on what's important, like the mods you do enjoy playing instead of wasting time bashing the mods you don't. :rolleyes:

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
this is my idea to stop biased reviews, btw don't flame me if its all ready being done here at modsquad.

Why don't the reviews review the mods that intrest them in there kinda genre. e.g. If a review likes RL mods then he should review all the inf's/to's/sf's, and the peeps who like TFC style mods review them and the peeps that like sci fi mods review them and so on. Then in theroy you should end up with a less biased review as the review know more about what he is talking about. Note: Alot of PC game mags do this so why don't Modsquad.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Yeah, what they say and for...

Originally posted by Nemephosis

OBVIOUSLY (or not so obviously) I'm not gonna review a mod I'm biased against. I've told Peter a couple of times that "I don't feel I can review this mod and give it an unbiased score, is there something else I can review instead?"

I'm happy that a guy who use Jean-Claude Vandamme as avatar won't review Infiltration... :p