Some thoughts on some UT2k3 mods I've played

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Ok, thanks to the MSU contest, people actually have made mods and gotten them released (except of course for SAS ;) ) but anyways, I've played a few of them and here is what I think thus far:

Fatal Arts:
umm...wtf next one. (no rating as it confused the hell out of me)

Conquest Marines:
Excellent REALLY fun stuff and very creative. I like the classes and it is a very fun mod to play, wish bots were a little better and I also wish that you could aim downwards with the mounted guns 9/10

Jungle Warfare:
Fun but a framerate killer. The models and maps and everything just plain rule and hearing gunfire off in the distant jungle is simply amazing, really fun to play and also to look at. 8/10

Domain:
Pretty good mod with objective based maps, more creative then some mods but all of the weapons seem a little too generic for my tastes but overall pretty fun as well 8/10

so there you have it

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Jungle Warfare ...
Liking it depends on whether you like CS-lite in a jungle-setting or not ... ;)

There's too many maps for 'last man standing' and no reason to complete the objectives in 'sabotage'-maps.
Bots do work though, so it's not completely pointless download if you don't have a decent speed on-line.

// --
CM is a very fun & interesting mod. It's like Warpath (for TFC) with vehicles.
The vehicles & their guns do need some work. Because if you find that running over people is more effective than trying to shoot them with the weapons on your vehicle ...
The tanks are more useful as mobile gun emplacements, for everything else running over people is faster & more effective.

// Domain :
it's UT Assault with 'realistic' weapons, but without the rounds.
It lacks personality and the maps are confusing ...
It would have been better if they'd waited until it was ready.

// Air Buccaneers
Interesting concept. The fact that to control the balloon & shoot the cannon that's mounted requires teamwork to be effective is a brilliant idea.
Too bad that it lacks support for off-line play. :(

// Troopers :
it's a 'demo' (or a tech-demo). It's playable, but it isn't as much fun as it could have been. Better wait for the next release ...
It definitely needs more maps and a more balanced set of weapons.

adv1

Dec 7, 2002
www.advanceone.co.uk
I love Conquest Marines, I just wish it was more popular and there were more servers and players. With some bugfixes, more features and better maps, hopefully in a future release it will get the attention it deserves.

As for all the CounterStrike clones - I liked the maps in Domain but they were a little bit too big, Jungle Warfare has some good maps and is better with the latest patch, but I prefer to stick JWF's maps in the FaceOff/Maps folder, as FO is the most fun to play of the CS clones and works well on JWF's maps.

I didn't like Chaos, Troopers or Fatal Arts. And I had problems getting Godz, Path to Victory and Point of Engagement to work properly so I can't really judge them yet.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
Tried my hand at conquest marines today. Its actually quite fun too. The classes are great and realistic. The weapons were also great. I thought the gameplay reminded me of battlezone. And the computer terminals were a classy idea. But it managed to freeze up on itself once so I uninstalled it. Next I think I'll give godz a try. And still waiting for Total Annihilation for ut2003. Now thats gonna be packin some heat.

adv1

Dec 7, 2002
www.advanceone.co.uk
TWD said:
I'll have to retry faceoff. apparantly there's a speed bug
Yeah there is, you have to change game speed from the default (50%) to normal (100%). But you only have to change it once, and it stays at 100% for the next time you play it.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
GODZ is pretty neat. Very original content and characters, though I am not sure how well the third-person perspective works with the gameplay. I like that each character has its own set of powers.

Air Buccaneers is a sweet concept, but not being able to play against anyone, I can't really judge the play which seems like it could be extroardinarily difficult.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
ok here's a new one to add to your list:
Global Warzone:
This one is horrid. I hated it a LOT. The maps are boring, confusing, uninteresting. I heard a total of zero ambient sounds. The weapons sounds either 1. Suck or 2. Are ripped from regular 2k3. I set the bots at skilled because that's usually when they begin to grow a brain, apparently, they dont grow a brain at all in Global Warzone. The enemy bots would walk RIGHT PAST ME without so much as stopping to aim, they were dumber than that really really stupid kid you know from school. Dont even get me started on the default controls. I had to reconfigure basically EVERYTHING just to get them back to DEFAULT controls from UT2k3. The presentation is nice, although they're not fooling me with the intro video (you can plainly see that it's a spherical skybox because the stars all get way too close when it zooms in) the menus are set up pretty nicely and they do a pretty good job. I wish they would tell me recommended bot loads though. Oh yeah about weapons and the buying weapons system. I really have no idea wtf was going on here, the HUD was confusing, it wouldn't let me buy akimbo pistols, there were no primary weapons and I could only find one secondary weapon which was some lame futuristic tommy gun minus any stopping power the tommy gun had. Overall, this mod sucks, dont waste time downloading it until a later stage. 3/10

EDIT: About Fatal Arts. I didnt rate this one it was too stupid. I ran around DM-1on1Crash for about 10 minutes while Remus ran around acting like he was some sort of ninja but he wasnt fooling me with that default position, he WANTED to hold a gun. That and there were like 3 or 4 bars in the bottom left corner that made no sense at all except for I think Health but we all know what that does. The third person camera kind of sucks too. It's the annoying "LOCK ON TO HIS ARSE NO MATTER WHAT!" type so it's really no fun. I give this one a wtf/10 because it just doesnt make any sense.

Last edited:

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Metakill said:
GODZ is pretty neat. Very original content and characters, though I am not sure how well the third-person perspective works with the gameplay. I like that each character has its own set of powers.

Air Buccaneers is a sweet concept, but not being able to play against anyone, I can't really judge the play which seems like it could be extroardinarily difficult.
There's a first person view now, you can assign a button to it from the config menu or with behindview.
It's not bad, but UT99 version plays better for now.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Ok, new one for me: Faceoff

I REALLY loved this one, it's very fun and the models and maps are very well done, the small snow level is just awesome and the egyptian site CTF and DM level rules too. The AI is pretty good on this although it does have that speed bug which was kind of annoying but Faceoff needs a few more weapons too, overall though I give it a 9/10

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
TWD said:
Face off is a lot better with 100% damage. It's still the same old same old though. Come on show me something nobody has done before! Counterstrike clones have been make a billion times over.

yes they have "been make" a lot...

Also, you must be oblivious to some of the mods out there like Air Bucaneers or Conquest Marines.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Air Bucaneers is interesting, but I can't seems to pick it up for some reason.
Anyway, I just removed faceoff. It's the mod I played most online, but everytime, I ended up sh1t talking with the other players for some laughs. It didn't kept my attention with it's gameplay.
FO like troopers, is rather polish, but doesn't have the depth to it. Definetly not for those who developed a dislike for yarms.
So after downloading all those mods, what I'm left with is cut2. Kool thing is, it's a mute, you can play it with other maps.
I'm waiting for defence alliance.