Official Minecraft Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
for the sake of adding something to the conversation, I'll say that I have to agree with xMurphyx. in this case, Sleepy's defense of his piracy is pretty poor.
it shouldn't matter what you think the value of the game is relative to other games and/or the work that was put into it by any number of people; whether it's one or one hundred.

the point here is that you clearly enjoy(ed) the game; to the extent that you've played it for many hours, are still playing it, and even hosted a server for others.
you think Notch is a lazy developer. maybe he even admits that. but he still created something from nothing with his time that you have enjoyed using. it wouldn't be here without the work he's put into it and you would have never played it. that's the value right there. that's why you should pay for it. he's not asking an exorbitant amount.

you play the game. you like the game.
how does this not justify paying the asking price? it's obviously of value to you and it's still much bigger and more involved than even the most expensive iPhone apps on the market. the fact that you'd only be willing to invest "3-5" dollars in Minecraft after the amount of time you've put into it is simply dumbfounding. you're making yourself look really low on this one.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Not trying to convince anyone it's justified, it's justified to me and I gave my reasoning after comments arose.

What's the point in starting crap with me when I am the least of piracy's problem? Like I said I'm probably better than most gamers out there when it comes to piracy. Only game I've pirated.

What's up with the random insult too? Don't be an ass. If I'm an idiot then according to that logic a lot of people here must be complete retards, maybe even you. For all I know you've pirated something before. :rolleyes:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
it's obviously of value to you

Yes it's of value to me, I told you how much it's worth to me. If there was no possibly way for me to download it then I wouldn't have ever played it because I wouldn't have paid that much.

you're making yourself look really low on this one.

Again, I don't see the point in picking on me out of the millions who pirate a lot more.

Are you really sitting here telling me you've never pirated a single thing in your life? What about you Angel? This is getting ridiculous.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
What's the point in starting crap with me when I am the least of piracy's problem? Like I said I'm probably better than most gamers out there when it comes to piracy. Only game I've pirated.
only starting crap because I think your reasoning is whack to the max. it doesn't matter how you think you compare to others. to be honest, your claim that Minecraft is the "only" game you've pirated makes it even worse.

if you could only pirate one, why do so with a little indie game that you clearly enjoy?
do it with Call of Duty or something where you can stick it to the man. don't do it to the lone guy who poured his free time into everything he's offered you.
If I'm an idiot then according to that logic a lot of people here must be complete retards, maybe even you. For all I know you've pirated something before.
I've never kept a game on my hard drive that I didn't pay for, and I don't pirate any other software.
I rarely pirate music and only after exhausting a legitimate search for the music in question.

I think your logic sucks in this case because it just doesn't make any sense based on what you have exhibited here. anyone who even casually graces this thread can tell that you've played the crap out of this game. you know a lot about it and you even help others.

you've put in more than enough time to have gotten (what should be) your money's worth. I cannot see how this doesn't justify paying for it. it really seems stupid to me. if you had made a different argument entirely, then maybe I wouldn't care. but the one you put forth just doesn't hold water. I'm sorry.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Fair enough, while I admit I have pirated a shit ton of music in my teens, I hardly listen to music now, but still have a small pirated music collection. I've watched some pirated movies too. When it comes to games though, I don't really play many, so I buy em.

I think my reasoning for pirating Minecraft as opposed to COD is fair, if you disagree, oh well. None of the devs that worked on COD are millionaires probably. Notch is. Proof is in the pudding. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

You don't have to insult me though, insult the people who haven't paid for a single piece of software in their life.

I think the personal time invested argument is as weak as you think mine is. Should all games be subscription based at the same fixed rate? I played Blockland just as much as Minecraft, if not more. That game has an extremely similar concept and that was completely free at the time and it was also in Alpha/Beta.

PS: The "never kept a game on hard drive" wording is extremely convenient and you've only had to pirate like 10 songs to make it as bad as me pirating Minecraft.

PPS: We've really gone off track in this thread, but it's fine as it's still minecraft related and there was no gameplay discussions going on. :p

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok yeah, calling you an idiot without a reason was trolling, but I throw around insults pretty loosely.
so be it.

from my point of view the bottom line would be this: why does it matter that Notch is a millionaire?

are you saying you don't buy from millionaires?
you've got a millionaire boycott going on?
how does that work?

you played Blockland and that was free.
great. we love free things.
but Blockland is not Minecraft.

Mr. Blockland was not obligated to ask for money for his creation, neither is Mr. Minecraft (Notch).
but Notch decided to ask and obviously many people agree that his asking price is fair enough that they were willing to support his creation.

if you've played both games "just as much," then I don't see what there is to object to when it's Notch who is asking for financial contribution.
does his success make you jealous?
are you jealous on behalf of Mr. Blockland? who (I assume) hasn't made as much money from BL as Notch has made from MC.

doesn't make sense to me.

PS: The "never kept a game on hard drive" wording is extremely convenient and you've only had to pirate like 10 songs to make it as bad as me pirating Minecraft.
convenient and true.

I only pirate to rent. no shame.
you can tell if you're going to like a game within 20 minutes. games that I like I buy from Amazon. not just because I want to support it, but to get my hands on a legit serial key/registration number instead of continuing to use cracks. makes it easier to get patches and updates. games I don't like are swiftly uninstalled having not been played for any longer than it took to arrive at that conclusion.

my system works in my mind because I'm always paying for what I keep.
I don't get how your system works in your mind. to me it just sounds like "that guy has enough money so I won't pay, also because this other similar game was free for awhile, so I won't pay." which doesn't make sense.

/thread hijack

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Since we've pretty much gotten everything out there now, I'll try to make this reply short.
from my point of view...
Nah, I pirated it because I thought it was extremely overpriced but I still wanted to play. If I really wanted to play ME3 but it was $300, I'd pirate it. Maybe I'm immoral for not going with their price, but whatever. I don't do it on a regular basis.

I only mentioned the COD thing cause you did. I mentioned the money thing just to "padden" it, it wasn't an excuse or reason, just saying it won't hurt Notch as much as it would commercial devs in this case.
convenient and true.

I only pirate to rent. no shame.
you can tell if you're going to like a game within 20 minutes.
I'll word this in a format you're familiar with:
Mr. Publisher/Dev is not obligated to release a public demo, ect, ect, ect. ;)

"my system works in my mind because..."
That's cool, honestly you could pirate everything to hell and there's not much I could do about it. Different people do different things for different reasons.

(don't bother defending yourself here, like I said there's nothing I can do and I don't mind if you pirate to demo, I'm just showing you how things can be seen in different ways)
how your system works
If it's extremely overpriced (I'm reasonable in determining this), but I still really want to play the game, I pirate it. :eek:

This has been the only case. *gasp*

Last edited:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
already started and is planning other projects.
Just want to point out that the only other Mojang project, the card game Scrolls, has very little to do with Notch. Notch has repeatedly said his main focus is Minecraft. He's never announced any other projects.

Also you're kind of a dick.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Damn it, now I'm a dick? Why am I a dick? When did I ever say anything bad about anyone? :(

For some reason a decent amount my posts on this forum are extreme flame-bait, but I swear I'm not that bad in person or in chat. :crysmile:

It's funny cause people talk about pirating major games like Crysis 2 or expensive stuff like Photoshop and no one gives a crap. I mention I have a unlicensed copy of Minecraft and all the sudden I'm an idiot and dick and extremely low (scum of the earth?). :lol:

Edit: Oh, apparently I'm a hypocrite now too. It looks the total opposite from my POV. :p

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Damn it, now I'm a dick? Why am I a dick? When did I ever say anything bad about anyone? :(

For some reason a decent amount my posts on this forum are extreme flame-bait, but I swear I'm not that bad in person or in chat. :crysmile:

It's funny cause people talk about pirating major games like Crysis 2 or expensive stuff like Photoshop and no one gives a crap. I mention I have a unlicensed copy of Minecraft and all the sudden I'm an idiot and dick and extremely low (scum of the earth?). :lol:

Edit: Oh, apparently I'm a hypocrite now too. It looks the total opposite from my POV. :p

Dude, just search for your own posts. You've been PMSing on this forum hard for over 6 months.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Nah, I pirated it because I thought it was extremely overpriced but I still wanted to play. If I really wanted to play ME3 but it was $300, I'd pirate it. Maybe I'm immoral for not going with their price, but whatever. I don't do it on a regular basis.
[snip]
If it's extremely overpriced (I'm reasonable in determining this), but I still really want to play the game, I pirate it. :eek:

This has been the only case. *gasp*
The reason why I replied to your post was because of your strong anti-piracy stance in a previous thread. Your excuses such as "I'd rather have that money go to hard working under paid devs that work full days for years to make AAA games." and the quoted parts above just make the situation that much more amusing to me.
I'll point out some more of your ridiculous arguments just because I can:
  • A game for $20 is just too expensive compared to the average AAA release of $50 or $60
  • Notch says that he's lazy, so I shouldn't pay any more than $5 for this game!
  • Pirating a cheap piece of software for entertainment purposes is comparable to pirating an expensive piece of software that's meant for professionals
  • Notch says that piracy isn't theft, so he's totally fine with me pirating his game
If you hadn't posted such things such as this, I wouldn't have paid much attention to your post. The fact that you said those things while you were also hosting a server of a game you had pirated (You posted maps of your server world a day after that linked post) makes this notable and worth pointing out.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Dang, way to take most of that stuff out of context. :(

And I never denied I stole Minecraft, I admitted it, there's nothing wrong with having made the post you linked.

Dude, just search for your own posts. You've been PMSing on this forum hard for over 6 months.
I know the posts I've been making. They may come off a certain way but when I'm sitting here I'm basically indifferent to it all. Also I think I tend to only comment on stuff that I dislike or bothers me, I never make other comments. :eek:

Anyways, this is getting out of hand. I guess you're all just gonna have to deal with the fact that I'm a filthy pirate. :hmm:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Setting =
server.properties > open in notepad > online-mode=false

Problem is that anyone can pick whatever name they want, but that is easily fixed, you can assign IP addresses to certain names, like yours. Also it's not really a problem if you're only playing with a few honest trust-worthy people.

Ehhhh I'm not really sure I want to let people come in under Alt's. That's risky and easy for greifers to fux with. I might open it up to pirates depending on if my friend wants to play on the server. He is moving to South Korea for a year and he's pretty broke so he can't buy a legit copy.

If I do I'll let you know.

And just as a extra note, I pirated the game in alpha and bought it a week later when it went into beta. Best purchase I've made in a while.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
As a concrete example of Jack's final point, I had to guess without looking who had said that the face model for Miranda in Mass Effect had a man's face.

I guessed you. And was right.

So yeah I think you should definitely post positive stuff once in a while. I'm sure it will help cheer you up too subconsciously.

Not saying you're depressed or anything but you come off as such over here. Depressed is probably not the right word though. Angry? Eh. I'm not really good with this type of stuff, especially in my second language.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Okay guys, enough stupid bullshit. I did a house on a private server.

HSdsTh.jpg

And here's the town it's in, a work in progress.

sgJ37h.jpg

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Hi all. Just a heads up, I have updated the SineCraft texture pack to v9.x, and it is now Beta 1.7_x compatible. I don't know if any of you use it, but if so, you can grab it at the release thread here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/123103-16x1617-sinecraft-v92-6302011/

Here's some screenshots of the pack:

[SCREENSHOT]http://sadpanda.us/images/546673-WX2Z53S.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://sadpanda.us/images/546674-JDXM9ME.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://sadpanda.us/images/546711-TJ73QYK.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Okay guys, enough stupid bullshit. I did a house on a private server.

HSdsTh.jpg

And here's the town it's in, a work in progress.

sgJ37h.jpg

This is sick, Arc. :eek:

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Unending sadness!

I switched over to Debian linux recently and it turns out the ONE game that decided to break under linux for me was minecraft. Manually updated to the very latest sun JRE and everything. The problem lies with the Radeon5850 catalyst drivers it seems... I guess I will just use the open source drivers till there is a patch.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Just updated my own Misa/Angel/Etc hack pack, but i figure I can grab your SineCraft while I'm here.
Looks real nice too.

@inferyes: The solution is, as always, get nVidia.
I hate my Ati crap. :(

Last edited: