Gears of War 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I'm just pissed I can't rent it at Redbox. This is the last game I'll own before the xbox is sold off. I'll trade in Gears 2, which was the last game I bought for Xbox.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Started playing it last night. And my initial reaction is...

comment-friday-damn.jpg

The first level had me geeking out over the power of Unreal Tech!

Fucking awesome job on the opening dream level...that sense of deja vu was done perfectly!

I played SP up until the leviathan fight on Hardcore, and overall the visuals and combat spaces of Gears 3 are quite awesome.

But what I really enjoyed was MP, did a few rounds and got to level 5 last night. So much better in terms of connections, gameplay, and fun.

No more gnasher kiddies running around the map forcing you to use the same shotgun to have a slim chance of getting a kill. People still do lean to the gnasher shotgun but there are now so many counters to it that it makes the game fun again. I got quite a few kills with the double barreled shotgun and retro lancer last night.

And TDM with 15 spawns is so much better than warzone or execution versus modes with the respawn tickets as compared do dying and waiting 20 minutes to play again.

I have not tried Horde 2.0 or Beast but I think we need to get a Gears 3 Frag BU thing going on for the weekends. Hal, Brizz, can this be done? :)

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I finished the game this weekend. Overall this was the best in the series with more colorful and diverse levels, with improved combat and weapons to give an excellent gameplay experience.

The story was a lot better this time around and Epic nailed down the emotion they wanted to achieve with the whole Dom/Maria business from part 2. A lot of unanswered questions were resolved but one loose end remains. Why is the locust queen human, why does she support the creepy looking Locusts, and why does she look different from part 2 to 3?

Gears 2 Queen- Odd gray looking person with spikes on her back or something.
[screenshot]http://vorpalbunnyranch.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gow2locustqueen.jpg[/screenshot]

Gears 3- More human like with tons of armor.
[screenshot]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110616001320/gearsofwar/images/c/cc/89003_T_CharPortraits_LOC_High_my_normal.png[/screenshot]

Spoiler time!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, DOM is dead! :( Talk about taking one for the team, by killing himself to save everyone else from the lambent, locust, and lambent humans in the town of Mercy.

Oh yeah lambent humans....seriously messed up shit right there.

But worst of all, Marcus had to watch his father die right in front of his eyes after finally meeting up with him. So sad. I cried a little bit when I saw that happen...

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I wish Palace Guards were playable but I guess our armored Queen is an okay replacement.
Beast mode is the best thing ever made on the other hand.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
The campaign is amazing. I can see myself playing this a couple of times.:)

I agree that it's strange that the locust queen looks so human and it was never explained why, so in the end I just took it as a case of hottifying the tragic villain. Not sure why they took her classy humanness from Gears 2 even further and outright turned her into a pretty sister of Akasha from UT3.

Then again, it has to be a plot point that she's so human because she didn't die from the locust killing doomsday device at the end!
Which, btw. would have been a better end for her, imo. I thought it was extremely cold when Marcus stabbed her. I mean, they couldn't take her with them to the beach or something, but she could have killed herself when she saw she had lost everything or she could have had a concealed weapon too when she finally fell. That kind of thing would have made sense for her and Marcus stabbing her wouldn't have felt so out of place then. May be just me though...

Also, Horde 2.0 is awesome.:lol:
Bonus rounds, boss waves with random bosses, the whole fortifications thing... An absolute blast!

One thing I have to ask though: What are sentries for? I just unlocked them the other day and gave them a try because sentries are the kind of fortification I had been looking forward to the most, but my lvl1 sentry couldn't even kill a Ticker (!) on Casual (!). Apparently they stun enemies later on, which is nice, I guess, but the lvl1 one was also really really fragile! I'm not sure they are worth putting up. Does anyone have any positive experiences with the sentry guns in Horde?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Then again, it has to be a plot point that she's so human because she didn't die from the locust killing doomsday device at the end!
Which, btw. would have been a better end for her, imo. I thought it was extremely cold when Marcus stabbed her. I mean, they couldn't take her with them to the beach or something, but she could have killed herself when she saw she had lost everything or she could have had a concealed weapon too when she finally fell. That kind of thing would have made sense for her and Marcus stabbing her wouldn't have felt so out of place then. May be just me though...
After the way Gears 2 went and the way Gears 3 went, that didn't surprise me at all. It's not like it's terribly out of character for him.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I read that it was Dom's knife, which gives it more purpose if it's true.
Fine by me. It just kinda shocked me when I first saw it. Not what I had expected. But then I expected humans and Locust to team up against the Lambents from both sides...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I was pretty sure they were going to do that, too. It would have been horrible. I'm glad they went the direction they did instead.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Gears 2 Queen- Odd gray looking person with spikes on her back or something.
[screenshot]http://vorpalbunnyranch.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/gow2locustqueen.jpg[/screenshot]

Gears 3- More human like with tons of armor.
[screenshot]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110616001320/gearsofwar/images/c/cc/89003_T_CharPortraits_LOC_High_my_normal.png[/screenshot]
In Gears 2 she had her evening dress on )

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Finished the game, best Epic campaign. Seriously. Also the environment setting of the last two chapters was totally unexpected, but man, wow.
What's annoying in this game is how you unlock characters. They're throwing at you the most retarded requirements ever. At least I've got the Kantus. And I wish they would stop with these exclusive unlocks.

Anyway they announced a Campaign DLC for December, including chapters where you play as RAAM with all of its Kryll skills.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So since Epic are a bunch of babbies and won't release the 2nd and 3rd game on PC I simply have to know, is Cole Train still a badass?