Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I might have to pick up the book after seeing the movie. I don't usually read but if it's that good then perhaps it'll open my mind.

As I said, I wasn't a big fan of Battle Royale. I definitely enjoyed The Hunger Games a lot more. But you know, different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Trollers gonna troll. These movies have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Yes I don't see the connection.

I hate those trendy teenage vampire films. You may as just watch American "Idle" and drink a pint of sheep's blood.... much the same thing; my opinion.

If I've seen Battle Royale do I need to see the Hunger Games?

I've heard almost nothing but good things about these books tho.

Good point. I knew the whole games angle was ringing some bells.........

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Don't get so mad about a little teasing and use reverse trollology on me. :mad:

My teasing was perfectly legit considering how much they are compared everywhere and because of the similarities, despite how much you want to deny them. :)

Fortunately, common target audience is not an indicator for the quality of the production.

That "could" be true, but what if I already think THG is as bad as Twilight and that they are similar? ;)

inb4 your opinion sucks/troll

Plenty of other people agree with me. Even for the people who think those works are good, they are compared heavily. From a neutral standpoint they are compared all over the place too. :eek:

Doesn't really matter though, since I was just teasing.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
didn't read much of the stuff before but here I go :
Hunger games : 4/10 (read "below average")

I enjoyed some moments, but most of it is a total snore for me.

The first 5 minutes of the movie are horribly shot : it's overzoomed, it shakes in every direction. really horrible to watch. I guess I got used to it afterwards.

It's hard to tell much of the movie without spoilers, so I'll resume it like this : it's battle royale for harry potter fans
If you liked battle royale, don't go there expecting something like it. The battle is for me the worst part of the movie. the training is where all the stuff happens.

time for stupid spoiler time :
shallow characters ahoy ! a 5 minute death scene for a character that we see 5 minutes and has 3 lines of dialogue... sorry, but I don't feel anything for someone who was going to die anyway.

it's supposed to be a spectacular event where people kill each other. How is making dogs appear in the middle of the night spectacular ? it beats the principle of the whole "game".

the fake love story was taken too far, we don't see that she's faking it. and there's no reason for her to suddenly fall in love with stupid. (book-readers told me that she was indeed faking)

there's no ending ! wtf is with that ? "they go home and that's it".
I heard afterwards that it was a trilogy, but it's still a letdown.

that's all I can think of at the moment, but when leaving the theater, I was unstoppable on criticism. :p
gimme some real movie, not some stupid shallow stuff for people with ADD !

I'm intrigued by the universe that has not been fleshed out barely enough and that might be the only reason as for why I'd be reading the books.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Network (1976) - 9/10
Well-written, humorous adaptation of the original novel, excellent screenplay and surprisingly relevant to today's problems with sensationalism and bad journalism.

Chinatown (1974) - 8/10
The writing leads the viewer on quite well, and provides a sense of suspense not present in modern films of today. The impact that the last scene had was impressive. Left you feeling bad for the girl and the detective.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (English Adaptation) - 8/10
I know I've been giving these films high ratings, but because they engage the viewer quite well. Another good one to add to the library. I'd give the original Swedish adaptation of the novel a higher rating, but that's just me. I like viewing things in their native format.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Hunger Games 0/10

Stupid faggy chick flicks. Longest scenes in the movie were the scenes where women in the audience would cry because something cute died or someone finally fell in love. This is the only reason it's selling so many tickets. I went expecting bloodshed, not hide and go seek with funny beards. Now I get to hear about the sequels nonstop over the next couple of years, yay.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Responses in spoiler tags.

time for stupid spoiler time :
shallow characters ahoy ! a 5 minute death scene for a character that we see 5 minutes and has 3 lines of dialogue... sorry, but I don't feel anything for someone who was going to die anyway.

Mostly agreed. It didn't have as much of an impact as it could've, but in the time alotted, you can only develop the minor characters so much. At least she came off as a genuinely likeable, kind hearted person. And most of the audience did seem saddened by her death.

it's supposed to be a spectacular event where people kill each other. How is making dogs appear in the middle of the night spectacular ? it beats the principle of the whole "game".

Yeah the dogs were a bit weird for me, but apparently that's how it is in the book too. I think it's more about the capitol having control over them and manipulating them like puppets (fireball scene comes to mind). They are sick people who get joy out of controlling (and ultimately killing) the players in the game. Plus it's the "finale" of the game, so they want to end it with a bang.

the fake love story was taken too far, we don't see that she's faking it. and there's no reason for her to suddenly fall in love with stupid. (book-readers told me that she was indeed faking)

I wasn't a big fan of the love stuff, but it wasn't the focus of the film. I just really wish the "damn you" scene was removed, because that was just embarassing.

there's no ending ! wtf is with that ? "they go home and that's it".
I heard afterwards that it was a trilogy, but it's still a letdown.

Which is why I would've preferred the suicide. But still, for no characters dying (besides Donald Sutherland forcing the other dude to commit suicide in a locked room with poison berries), it wasn't a bad ending. It left me thinking what was going to happen next. I mean obviously Donald Sutherland was PISSED and planning his next move.

So while I agree with a lot of your points, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. :p

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
The whole Hunger Games movie expects that you've read the book. As such, it's not really a good movie on its own. I think they did many things well and decently but on the whole at least one of my friends was completely lost. There's too much about the book that is internal monologue on behalf of the main character, and it's hard to translate into film. I give it a 6.5/10 for effort, but execution lacked style and some substance.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
The Black Hole (1979) 7/10

I know it's a corny movie but it does reactivate some childhood memories. :)

Favorite quote:

Dan Holland: It's only dinner.
V.I.N.CENT: Said the spider to the fly.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
One of the most desirable movie epics in the decade, except with the length of 3 hours and 17 minutes. I don't mind if I had brought the novel adaptation for sure. :)
Grade: A

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
I don't have the right thing to comment this movie. It is literally bizarre, violent and also truly the best IMHO; some figures will be caught by the personality of the particular genre, the science fiction.
Grade: B+

Jack and Jill (2011)
This is one of the baddest movies I've ever across. Not a truly comedy and I don't like the dual roles played by Adam Sandler. I meant that his movies from the past are actually good or average; after I saw this movie came out through the cinema, it's very despicable to me in incoherent way. That's why I don't want to watch this stupid movie again. Just never.
Grade: D

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The whole Hunger Games movie expects that you've read the book. As such, it's not really a good movie on its own. I think they did many things well and decently but on the whole at least one of my friends was completely lost. There's too much about the book that is internal monologue on behalf of the main character, and it's hard to translate into film. I give it a 6.5/10 for effort, but execution lacked style and some substance.

Hunger Games-6/10

I'd have to agree with you. I don't know the book(s) but I get the impression from the film that the flick doesn't play up the political commentary of the novel(s) as much as it may have.

.... the whole story about the entitled few in the Capitol and the impoverished masses in the sticks got glossed over in favour of a teen death-match angle.... we got teen angst vs. dystopia with a dash of the Coal Miner's Daughter.

In effect this film and story owes more to novels like John Christopher's Tripods books and the novels that Robert Heinlein wrote for teens (it's even got odd sniff of Golding's Lord of the Flies). From a film point of view it really owes a lot to Punishment Park, Rollerball (the original one with Steve McQueen), Logan's Run, Series 7, the Truman Show and, yes even Death Race 2000, to name but a few.

The lead character is cute and innocent-looking enough to bring the threat of a developing femme fatale that tends to drive the film along.
But this isn't a film about death-matching; it's a survivalist flick. The killing is secondary, in my opinion. Personally I think anyone who went along to see an out and out Battle Royale was primed for disappointment.

That being said I probably would have given this a higher rating if it wasn't for the 15 minute directorial mess that opens the film. The continual handheld camera, zip panning, re-framing, frame jitter and jump cutting becomes annoying really, really, quickly. It's a two hour film for f***'s sake not a rock video.

Death-matching for the MTV generations perhaps?

It's not the worst futurist film I've seen...........

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Negotiatior-7/10

Considering how old this film is I have never seen it all the way through until now (it was on t.v. and the missus wanted to watch it).

It's a good cops conspiracy story in my opinion with good acting. I enjoyed it.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Hunger Games-6/10

I'd have to agree with you. I don't know the book(s) but I get the impression from the film that the flick doesn't play up the political commentary of the novel(s) as much as it may have.

.... the whole story about the entitled few in the Capitol and the impoverished masses in the sticks got glossed over in favour of a teen death-match angle.... we got teen angst vs. dystopia with a dash of the Coal Miner's Daughter.

In effect this film and story owes more to novels like John Christopher's Tripods books and the novels that Robert Heinlein wrote for teens (it's even got odd sniff of Golding's Lord of the Flies). From a film point of view it really owes a lot to Punishment Park, Rollerball (the original one with Steve McQueen), Logan's Run, Series 7, the Truman Show and, yes even Death Race 2000, to name but a few.

The lead character is cute and innocent-looking enough to bring the threat of a developing femme fatale that tends to drive the film along.
But this isn't a film about death-matching; it's a survivalist flick. The killing is secondary, in my opinion. Personally I think anyone who went along to see an out and out Battle Royale was primed for disappointment.

That being said I probably would have given this a higher rating if it wasn't for the 15 minute directorial mess that opens the film. The continual handheld camera, zip panning, re-framing, frame jitter and jump cutting becomes annoying really, really, quickly. It's a two hour film for f***'s sake not a rock video.

Death-matching for the MTV generations perhaps?

It's not the worst futurist film I've seen...........

:tup: Decent analysis, you put it better than I could have.

Apr 11, 2006
Hunger Games-6/10

The first book has basically no political commentary.
Although the government of Panem is presented as evil, there are essentially no evil or unsympathetic characters in the book. Even the people who are government tools are presented favorably just because of their support for the main character (despite collaborating with the government in conducting the games).

If you wanted to read a political commentary into the book it'd probably have to be something extremely cynical like, "Teen girls don't care that their private fashion designers just sent them off to be killed, as long as they looked beautiful!"

The world building in the book is incredibly weak. It's said at one point that the population of District 12 is around 8000 people. If we assume it's not unusually large or small (it's never mentioned that it's exceptional in that respect), then the whole nation of Panem is looking at around 100,000 people. What happened to all the people? What happened to all the ruins of North America that surely would be left behind? Why is coal an important industry (and how can a miniscule town supply enough for all these people) when Panem has technology far in advance of our modern day?