Oh, turn-based RPGs, how I love thee..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
..So, after reading about Baldur's Gate coming to iPad (and being rather annoyed that there are no plans for an Android device), I've gotten back into some of my favorite classic turn-based RPGs.

I just finished Fallout 1, and have started Fallout 2. I've also got Fallout Tactics, which I have never actually played.

I'm thinking maybe loading up the Baldur's Gate series again and playing that, but it's not really turn based.

Temple of the Elemental Evil was good, but I played that one to death.

What am I missing out on? What are you guys playing?

Also, this has me nerd-gasming.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Cool stuff with that Shadowrun news, I didn't know anything like that was going on. :eek:

Another PC RPG you didn't mention was Planescape: Torment.

I never played Icewind Dale 1 or 2, but those were also from Black Isle Studios, so are probably also good and have good ratings on GoG.com.

I also heard nice things about arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura.

If you're willing to stray outside of PC turn based RPGs then you might enjoy old school jrpgs like Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Earthbound, or even Action RPGs like Secret of Mana (and SOM2), Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Castlevania, ect.

Also, I'll just link my similar post from another thread: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=2521921&highlight=icewind#post2521921

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Speaking of older Fallout games
I hope Wasteland 2 won't be cancelled and will be made

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Speaking of older Fallout games
I hope Wasteland 2 won't be cancelled and will be made

Holy hell, what did I miss in the past 3 or 4 months where that Kickstarter website became a new thing with awesome new projects poping up everywhere.

wiki said:
Composer Mark Morgan, who created the soundtracks of Fallout and Fallout 2, was also hired to compose music for the game

Hell. Fucking. Yes. This guy is a genius, best game music I've ever heard in any game ever comes from this guy.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Neverwinter Nights is as turn-based than Baldur's Gate, meaning its mechanics are, but its presented in pausable real-time.

Arcanum is turn-based (with a bizarre option to play it in real-time, which I don't recommend unless you have super-fast reflexes :p) and I can confirm it's a very good game with a unique and interesting world. It offers the player a lot of freedom too.
Definitely one of the better role playing games.