Will combining 70 small brushed into one massive one help at all?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
I have a castle situation, barricade to be precise. I have copied the front wall and pasted it twice on a big hunk o rock.
Now, the top part of the wall, where you can walk (with the gaps in the side) has been made using about 70 small subtraction brushes, i moved them out, and made a box round them, did the old intersect and made one hell of a complicated bruch out of them.

I then subtracted the big kahuna from the top of the wall and it looks the same as it did before, but the building takes half the time.

Was this a waste of time or have i stumbled upon a handy dandy Ued trick?

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
Actually, in some cases, especially with really complicated brushes, doing what you just did *can* be the source of BSP errors. Doing what you said is great for decorations and things like that, but if you did proper intersection/deintersection on the original brushes (and it plays fine in the level), I'm tempted to give you the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I know what you mean though...it's nice to tidy things up like you mentioned, and I do it on occasion...just make sure you fully test the map afterwards and save a copy with the brushes still intact so you can revert back to it if needed.

Jeff

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
i think it has helped

When i fly over the level in Ued (software mode) it has a faster framerate (i think) than when i had all the small ones.

And when i tested the level it loaded quicker and had a smoother framerate, or maybe its just my soundcard upgrade (Yamaha32 to Soundblaster128)

Anyway, im sticking with it. Faster Rebuilding is always a good thing.

+ my level was going to have 600+ brushes so with me simplifing it like this i will only have 400+

niiiice

Arkive

May 10, 2000
members.home.com
Yes, if you can do that and get no adverse side effects, then by all means, conglomerate as many brushes as you can. Just remember to do two things:

1) Make sure you're done with basic editing (i.e. if you combine a room with comlumns into one brush, you'll have a very difficult time moving the columns around afterward since they won't be individual brushes anymore).

2) Test your level thoroughly afterwards to make sure you don't have any probs...and keep as many backups as possible, so if you ever have to revert back for an unexpected reason, you won't lose too much work. I always start my levels off with a unique name like Test001.unr, and increment the counter by one digit after every couple of hours I invest in the level.

Jeff

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I've mused muchly on this.
On one hand, DOM-Sesmar uses an hugely complex brush for the building around the Ankh control points. DM-Morpheus makes each tower out of a single complex semi-solid. Try opening the level, it's very strange!
On the other, in DM-Curse][, the u-turn bit you pass on your left when you're going from the big lift to the SB, that's made from 4 sub. brushes, where 3 or even less would have done. But then CliffyB uses complex semisolids for the torch holders, and for the corners of the main corridor.

It's certainly nice to know it seems to make a difference, and good news for my map (600 brushes, and I havent yet made the red base...).

PS add a number to the counter after every couple of hours? sheesh, either I'm paranoid, a pessimist, or you've had far fewer bad experiences with computers that I have! I change the number after 30 mins or so, and save every minute or so in between!
Nothing makes you wary like 3 hours of page layout on Quark XPress and somebody catches the plug with their leg... wail!