I refuse to play, CTF-Face on public servers again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I haven't found many llama's on my server when Face rolls around.

Last night, a guy named Davester was sniping A LOT... but the only time he took a shot at a spawner, I think it was me, cause I killed him immediately after jumping for the sniper rifle. Rooster vs Davester - 17 to 8 - anyone that kills me 8 times with a sniper rifle is going to get special attention. He was really accurate with it, but ... he stood still for so long.. I launched ONE ripper blade at him from the hump, got almost to the bottom of their base.. when "HEADSHOT". Lol.. guy never saw it coming.

Anyway, if you're playing on my server, and someone's spawn camping, let me know and his äss is gone.

bullet2.gif

|C|Rooster|PuF
Defenseman for |C|ondemned

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
I agree with all.

I like the map, because I like sniping snipers...but not cheap sniping (i.e., spawn sniping, trying to put yourself in impossible-to-find places, or cheat skins).

I like the idea of a game (maybe Halo will have this) where you have team where everyone has a specialty, and that's one of them.

I am fairly adept at finding a strategic position, switching quickly to my S.R., zoom-aim-headshot, and moving....which I think is a real skill if you're not lame about it..., same as jumping in circles while aiming and preloading rockets...the default skill it seems.

But it gets abused much to much on that map, and it's frustrating....particularly when you have players that camp above spawn points.

Sometimes I play Face *just* to go after the spawn campers. But in the end, it ends up being such a llama map, that I get depressed, rather than feel vindicated.

At least it raised the awareness of these issues for other mappers....

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

SkummyB|BuF

Would you like to see me dance?
Feb 19, 2000
Liverpool, UK
www.bombardiers.org
That's it, I've had it with that llama map.
Over the past month or so I haven't been able to play a game on Face without being spawnsniped constantly, and now I'm sick of it, and the current skin llama situation it's even worse. So you won't see me on any Face servers from now on, unless it is a Ci practice.

bullet2.gif

<[Ci]The_Dopefish|PuF> *snaps fingers* last I checked, I had genitals...

<]LoL[MrSmallberries> Everyone - Dope just checked his genitals.

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff, and have your say.

Skumboytag.gif

PuF|Hertston

Dec 23, 1999
Plymouth, UK
Visit site
/me agrees too.

What worries me is that Face has traditionally been the llama haven, because of both it's opportunities for llama-like behavior, and the number of servers it was run on. The current skin-cheat epidemic is spreading fast, and soon I suspect ALL maps will be equally "infected", as the llama scum-bags look for ways to exploit the others as well.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Hell, if it were up to me, I wouldn't play on public servers PERIOD and play exclusively on the lowest pinging servers in North America. Instead, however, I don't play much by myself. I almost always play when there are a few PuFfers on one server. That way, I have someone who can empathize with me and vice versa when llamas are afoot. In all fairness, however, I agree that Face is Disney World for UT llamas.

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Well this is why i like Face][ so much
the only way to spawn snipe is to camp down below, and even then its kinda difficult due to the bars blocking your shot.

Face ][ IMO is a lot more fun. Snipers are easier to hit and those windows give them very limited views.
And basically, if you want to avoid the snipers, the map is short enough to chuck your x-loc more then halfway across it :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I love the simplicity of the map. In that respect it's pure genius. The smallness of the map encourages the lame behavior... the xloc punting, the Redeemer flag return, spawn sniping, etc. I was really hoping that Face][ would take care of some of those things...instead it seems worse.

bullet2.gif

Visit the PuF Home Page. hal{PuF}

hal{PuF}

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
Hmm, someone should just go into UnrealEd and move the spawnpoints to better places. Would solve alot of the problems with the map.

If the map author doesn't want that, maybe a campaign of nagging e-mails is in order.

Poet*

Jun 22, 2000
canada
Visit site
Ikind of like Face. Llamas are always easy to kill and i take a lot of satisfaction doing so. Rooster's server is pretty good (as mentioned), but he odd time I did notice a llama I fired him/her off the map (teammate or not) and they usually changed skin/tactics.

bullet2.gif

"And oftentimes excusing of a fault
Doth make the fault the worse by the excuse."

Blatant Bastich

Bite Me Fan Boy!
Feb 8, 2000
Culver City, CA
Visit site
I have had my best matchs on FACE and my most frustrating. In the right situation this map is fast paced, action packed, and intense! But, one or two llama's can turn it into a one-sided, kick-your-computer event. The one good thing is that you can always find another game of FACE ;) because it is run on every server it seems!

bullet2.gif

Blatanizer|PuF

Pentuim III Computer $1300
UnrealTournament $49
Bottle of Tequila $19
Falling into the lava while drunk...Priceless

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
The best games I've had on this map are always on Rooster's server. If you can catch DragonAsh or |C|arnage or any of the |C|ondemned members after they're done with clan matches or practices, they'll usually mix up with some PuF'ers for a very brutal, but llama-free game.

As Rooster said, anytime someone attempts llama tactics on his server, they're usually in for an äss-kicking.

With that in mind, games on Rooster's represent CTF-Face at it's best - fast-paced, lightning fast assaults, harrying flag runs and chases, large scale Shock Rifle battles, and best of all, awesome teamwork. It is very possible to have a good game on Face.

On public servers, unless some of my clanmates, fellow PuF'ers, or members of other clans I recognize are on, I just don't play this map. CTF is about teamwork, and this map only results in everyone clustered together and spawnsniping. While it can be fun to kill the snipers, what usually happens is that my own team hunkers down in their base and the whole game turns into a sit n' snipe orgy, and I'm usually the only one on offense. I'll take November or LavaGiant any time over Face on a public game.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
-]LoL[ Counter-Sniper and Shock-Ho
shockwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Wolf Blackstar (edited 06-26-2000).]