*****How to stop abuse of aiming! (Waren, read please)*****

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
The bobbing is too little when running IMO, i like the idea of big guns being "hipped" automatically while smaller guns can be held in aim mode.

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

mademancolour5.jpg

punkass

Jan 2, 2001
Aiming issue

Aside from improving accuracy, a stock is used to ease the strain of the muscles while holding the gun up. The stock eliminates most of the strain, so theres no reason why the soldier would not have the weapon ready at shoulder during hot conflict

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
Well, how long you can hold the gun up should be weapon specific, as well as how much accuracy you can keep while moving... I think a Mp5 is easier to keep up than a M16 or a Shot gun, and that a Saw would be almost impossible to iron sight while upright due to it's size, weight and not being made for sniping...

I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
seals use the m60 rifle style and i think that's even heavier then the SAW (m249 right?). So it's not that impossible, and you will see that most people will be holding their gun at low ready since the gun obscures your vision a deal.

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

Mademanc.jpg

Nemisis-J

Cunning Linguist
Sep 8, 2000
Useage of the options

It seems to me the point being made is that the realsons for holding your weapon on the hip arn't good enough because when it come to the MP5 AK M16 or Pistols poeple automaticaly go into the aiming possition. I think the aiming system is revolutionary I love IT!!! but it beggs the questioin why have the hip position if its not used which is the case at the moment with forsaid wp.
So there should be a better reason for the hip position so that the feature gets used.

"Old painless is waiting..."

Curtz

May 31, 2000
*sigh*

I used to think the same as you guys, "The hip position is pointless, blah blah, blah".
But after playing 2.82 with the MP5 + aim point, I noticed something peculiar, you can't see the broad side of a barn while aiming with the MP5 + aim point. You can aim at stuff in front fine, but it REALLY obscures your vision. You may accicentaly shoot a team member *cough*Casull*cough* or not see that enemy sniper on the roff tops... the list is endless.

BeerSwrd.gif

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
The aimpoint makes it a lot harder to aim. The gun's own sights give you much more precision, especially at long distances.

I have found that there is plenty of use for firing from the hip. If I find I'm in a bad position and have to fight a huge group of the enemy, the inaccuracy of firing from the hip lets you "spray" them with gunfire. You can usually take out a lot more than way than aiming and picking them off one by one.

shot.jpg

Nemisis-J

Cunning Linguist
Sep 8, 2000
Spot On

Curtz&Rogue Leader I agree with you there definatly are advantages with off the Hip...
But as the general discussion seams to idicate that most poeple are using full aim all the time.
The point I was trying to make is that its such a exellent feature of Inf. to switch aiming modes that there shouldn't be the situation "I never use off the Hip" which is the situation at precent.
There needs to be a more definate reward for using this exellent feature ie can't aim for S**T wile running in aim mode or movement is slower in aim mode something like that.

Building on ones strenghts ;)

[This message was edited by Nemisis-J on Jan 19, 2001 at 18:20.]

Curtz

May 31, 2000
I would not like to be "slowed down" When I run in aim mode, I dislike the idea of being "Forced" to do something by the mod I play. I also thin that the reload anims for the weapons should be staggard if the bullets are flying by (Seems strange that all this adrenaline is going through your veins and yet you reload like your on Ritalin :) ).

BeerSwrd.gif

Staggard?

What is staggard? Not a flame, I really don't know what you meant. As for the speed of the reload, it's not at all slow. If you have access to a similar weapon, try it yourself. Simulate clicking on an empty chamber, realizing you must reload, finding the magazine release button and pressing it, grasping for a spare magazine, orienting it correctly, pushing it home, and finally positioning your weapon and eyes to aim again. I think you'll find yourself challenged to do all this in less time than the Inf animation does it. Depending, of course, on how fast or slow you have your game speed set.

-- Vipe --
viper.jpg

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
So what if some people use full aiming all the time. They will learn when the online release comes out that sometimes you need the visibility you get from keeping it at the hip. Its their problem. In fact, it seems realistic to be aiming most the time. I only switch to hip when I know there arn't enemies nearby and I want to look around. How many swat teams have you ever seen break into a home with their guns at their hip? When you know your in danger you want to be ready to fire. In no way is it abusive aiming, its realism.

shot.jpg

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
One thing, when your aiming in INF, the gun obscures only the bottom of your screen. Try holding a rifle at the aim position, and i think you'll realize that it cuts off your peripheral vision too. Just mentioning.

Guns have a point-and-click interface-
Lord Perrin

Curtz

May 31, 2000
As an example to what I suggested: Could you reload a gun as smooth as the Inf soldier, when a grenade has landed by your feet? you wouldn't in the slightest feel a little unnerved?

BeerSwrd.gif

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
One thing i know is that keeping the gun sighted has more to do to regulation than the "impossibility" to do otherwise. Most soldiers and policemen don't have a great aim, so they need all the support they can to ensure they hit (and don't do too much colateral damage). But with some training you can have a great accuracy without sight, scope, laser beam or any other hardware. Of course, at long range, they are nessessary, but in cqb, you don't need them...

In game, i can aim my gun from hip without looking at my gun directly (almost as easily as i do in RL). The damn idle anim is the only thing that keep me from mowing down bots as it makes me involontarily correct my aim...

I know enough to know that I don't know enough.