how too get more pll in ut3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
OK everyone what do you guys actualy want to happen to UT3 and the UT series future? By bitching about the games we are all just throwing negativaty at the hole situation.

Maybe we should be trying to posatively sort out the problems and deal with stuff atleast so the developers dont start to hate what thay worked hard on and the game isnt as bad as everyone says in my opionion.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Anyways, my main point was to admit problems don't ignore them. How are you to improve anything if you think it's great right off the bat?

You'll never get a for profit company to admit problems publically unless there is no other way. Simply because someone doesn't admit there are problems, doesn't mean they're oblivious to them. See Forum Patron Resolution #1:

1) When confronted with 0-1% of the information related to a development effort, I will refrain from believing I know everything going on.

What happened? :(

You went crazy? :)

«MechikTaj»

lolol First blood betrayals
There's really no hope left is there? :lol:

For everyone's sake, if you don't like the game, MOVE ON. Considering the type of posts people who hate the game and don't enjoy it write, the expansion won't be swaying them over. (Pure speculation on my part) So move on now and save the people who play and enjoy the game the otherwise inevitable forum pollution of "0mg teh xpantion suuuuuxxx it maedd da gaem even wors!!!11".

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Well I'll give you props for coming in here Jeff and taking a lot of **** so perhaps it is a good time to reconsider where we're going with this debate so I'll start by saying that once the expansion pack is released, good or bad, i'd like to see the Cliffy B Ownage award ressurected if only to get the community interested in mapping again and garner some notoriety.
I'm of the opinion that it's nowhere near as active as it used to be.

Lruce

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic should patch the demo and make it so retail can play on demo servers again. That was 90% of the players in UT2004 :p

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Who's not admitting anything? Some dedicated Unreal players don't like UT3 and have left the game. They get it. They're rational consumers. The ones who don't like UT3 and HAVEN'T left the game are the ones who are broken in my opinion :).
Care to explain how "not knowing what they're talking about" equates to your reply? :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Okay. Lemme see if I got this all straight.

1) As long as there's gas in WT's Ferrari everything is fine.
2) See #1.​

Mr Fixit

Dec 31, 2008
Well I don't think you can expect to get a large increase in the number of people playing UT3 at this stage, perhaps if the expansion pack is stellar, AND standalone, you may get a few stragglers, and of course, you may get the interest back of some of the people who already purchased UT3, but I don't think people who don't own UT3 already will be beating a path to the local game shop to buy UT3 AND the Expansion Pack when it is released, the damage is already done. No matter whether you think UT3 is the best or a turd, the perception of most people I know is the latter, and I can't see them buying it, let alone playing it.

Player numbers will undoubtedly spike after the release of the expansion, but I think they will drop back to the abysmal numbers they are today very quickly. Of course I could be wrong, but only time will tell.

Standalone Expansion pack, or new game (UT4) would be the best bet I think, or UT is finished.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I have to go with what JohnDoe641 has been saying all along -- fix the bugs in the game so that UT3 can fulfill it's potential. Unfixed bugs means unfulfilled potential for UT3 and that's what I believe he's been trying to point out all along ( correct me if I'm wrong JohnDoe641 ).

Granted, at this stage it may not bring more players into the game, but it certainly won't hurt & it's definitely a step in the right direction, regardless.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
OK everyone what do you guys actualy want to happen to UT3 and the UT series future? By bitching about the games we are all just throwing negativaty at the hole situation.

I don't want anything to happen with UT3, i'd much rather they say "we stuffed that one up, lets move on" and make a really good UT4, i think thats the only chance the UT series has, anything with the "UT3" name on it will allways carry its negative stigma aswell, and i fear that, even if this expansion they are making actually is really good, people wont even check it out because "eh, an expansion to UT3? that game sucked, why would i want more of it?".

As for my dream UT4, here's some buzzwords:

• Tourney! not war.
  • PC exclusive, UT is PC and UC is Console, that formula worked, please stick with it (or just plain forget about the Consoles, its not like the UC titles sold well anyway).
  • Pack it full of features, we liked all that stuff, we liked custom crosshairs, we liked tweaking the gameplay rules to our prefrences, we liked player skins, we liked all of thease things, and we do not like not having them!
  • The server browser of the 2Kx series was great, don't through the baby out with the bathwater.. give us that, maybe give it a touchup to make it just that tad better, but please do not replace it with something thats worse!
  • Please! no Gamespy! and none of that other horrid DRM stuff either, UT used to be great userfreindly games you just installed and played, lets have that back, a CD-key i can live with but nothing more than that.
  • Maybe there actually are people out there who likes playermodels who look like steroid junkies, i don't know, but please provide some "normal" charectors that actually look human for thouse of us who don't aswell, there is nothing wrong with variety.
  • No really, variety is a good thing, and this also goes for texture and map themes.
  • Put some effort into Instant Action, the UT series has allways had a large following who played the botmatches, Epic themselves belive that 50% of UT2004 players never went online with the game, 50% of your customers is not a group of people you want to ignore or screw over..
  • Some community options would not be a bad thing, many online games have them thease days, people like them, they would probably like them in UT aswell.
  • The UI is not an unimportant cluster of code you can largely choose to ignore, people obviously aren't happy when its not good, make a good UI.
  • Graphics options should be readilly avalible and tweakable, sure its fine to run a system with "basic" and "advanced" settings, so everyone can use it, but the "advanced" menu should actually be "advanced" and allow us brainy PC gamers to tweak the game.
  • The UT3 gameplay, at its core, is good, i recommend no big changes to it, but the maps do need to be better, many UT3 maps do not have great flow, item placement or item selection, Epic should be able to do a good job of this when community mappers can.
  • UT has allways been a mod platform, and used as such, having the games files and folders sorted so its easy to deal with for the end users (like it used to be) is a good idea, having it all over the place and spread over multiple files and physical drives UT3 style is not.
  • Polish the hell out of it, no UT game is going to be fresh and new at this point (and most people would not want it to change drastically either), so make it worth our while by making it a quallity product instead, Valve showed us it works with TF2.
  • Bots should prefably pay more attention the the fighting than the pickups, and have reaction times and skills that human players are capable of keeping up with.
  • UT is not GoW, GoW is not UT, keep this in mind.
  • PC players do not use a gamepad to play FPS games, keep that in mind also.
  • Test the game, alot, and don't give it outdated drivers from 2006 and then blame other companies for the CTD's like last time.
  • More stuff that we all know goes here.. etc etc..

Maybe we should be trying to posatively sort out the problems and deal with stuff atleast so the developers dont start to hate what thay worked hard on and the game isnt as bad as everyone says in my opionion.

You are welcome to feel the game gets an unfair rep, but i found the game unplayable, seriously, it's zero fun to me, its many problems just drain away any fun i could be having with it and i'd rather it had never existed.. im just saying, there's many opinions out there, and judging by how empty the server browser is, i'm not alone in not enjoying this game ;)

Last edited:

JEnepas

Feb 5, 2008
You'll never get a for profit company to admit problems publically unless there is no other way. Simply because someone doesn't admit there are problems, doesn't mean they're oblivious to them. See Forum Patron Resolution #1:

Fair point, and it's a competitive industry, signs of weakness etc, but apart from you Jeff there is no developer /community relationship, it's as though the corporate 'suits' have taken over at epic , somewhere locked away discussing adding in 'cool stuff' that wasn't necessary, while the basics weren't even right.

As for why people don't just 'move on' , it's not that clear cut -nobody hates 100% everything bout this game...then it would be stupid hanging around , not even 50%. It's more frustratement than hatred imo. Players on the whole like the basic gameplay(even if some weapons are too spammy now), but just want it to be better and there is general consensus on relatively simple steps, that could make a dramatic improvement in player enjoyment-often these steps involve putting things back that were already in 2k4 -how did you think removing them was any sort of acceptable game evolution? Did you think people wouldn't notice? There are so many novice errors & bugs that still leave the collective user base thinking; why did they think this was ok , why have they done that , why can't they just fix this already.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Seriously Epic needs to get some new PR people pronto because they all spout stupid crap that makes them look bad.

I wonder if the "50% of the community doesn't know what they are talking about!" flies at Valve or Blizzard. Pretty sure it doesn't. :)

e: poster above is basically BU echo chamber and I agree with him.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
[*]PC exclusive, UT is PC and UC is Console, that formula worked, please stick with it (or just plain forget about the Consoles, its not like the UC titles sold well anyway).not enjoying this game ;)

You got that straight.

And agree with the rest of your post.

I think for a time they where trying to make it so Consoles could play with PC and Along with GoW stuff and developing their engine how much time was really put in UT3-PC?

I think the money was in the consoles so it was pretty much geared toward consoles and then they just ported it over for PC with a few tweaks here and there. Everyone's seen the videos of the testers with controllers in there hands so I don't think its a big secret.

And the player models are really disappointing. I'm not kidding when I say I think the UT99 models looked better. And the uniforms looked better. I guess I can go on and on but I think I'll stop now and play a few round of UT99.:)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Grobut, UT3 doesn't have any DRM except the CD Key. What are you smoking? Gamespy is used for the server browser alone. You don't even have to have a valid CD Key to have an account.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Gamespy is used for the server browser alone.
Actually the Gamespy account is also used for certain very basic things, single player progress being one of them.
No internet access? You have to start over again.
Gamespy server down? Tough luck, see above.

Never ever should the offline experience be completely tied to the availability of some server on the internet. I see a point in one-time registration of the game, but make it mandatory even for stuff as simple as remembering screen brightness settings? :con:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Ive started playing UT3 again and theres ONE NW CTF server here in Europe that i can play on. Its set to 20 players or something but hey, i cant be picky can i ;)

I noticed Crytek had another Free Holiday Play for Crysis Wars, atleast theyre fighting for their game.

The only thing that can "save" (i dont even know what that means anymore) UT is either,

1. Make the "expansion pack", announce a Free Weekend Play to coincide with its release and PROMOTE IT LIKE HELL! and i mean REALLY promote it (in case all those big letters didnt make it through ;))

2. Make UT4 and do it right this time.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Actually the Gamespy account is also used for certain very basic things, single player progress being one of them.
No internet access? You have to start over again.
Gamespy server down? Tough luck, see above.

Never ever should the offline experience be completely tied to the availability of some server on the internet. I see a point in one-time registration of the game, but make it mandatory even for stuff as simple as remembering screen brightness settings? :con:

Ya, totally.
You just can't paper over the cracks with what Gamespy did to the release of this game and trying to justify it's inclusion into the game is just plain crazy - so 1) that would be the first thing to go imo.
2) And as alreay mentioned, get rid of the Gears connection and suit up the characters in stuff they could actually move around in, let's humanize the game again and shoot at flesh and bone instead of someone with a dustbin wrapped around them.
3) Levels - lots of them but you know, make them look different from one another and have some interesting themes, let the level designers decide what themes to use instead of some guy who thinks wrapping octopus tentacles around everything is somehow cool - also,the futuristic stuff is getting on my tits tbh. More Deathmatch and CTF - I still play Curse and Turbine for UT and they play infinately better than anything on UT3 - that's just taking the piss.
4) Someone turn the lights on? - Seriously, the levels need brightening up a bit, dark and gloomy maybe trendy and cool but Mirrors Edge was like a shot in the arm as far as lighting levels is concerned. - Epic pay attention to what's going on around you - no harm being influenced by your peers.
5) De-grunjification - Some of the textures need cleaning up - grunge looks nice if used sparingly on brighter surfaces but everything caked in crap is OTT imo.
6) New texture sets - expansion definately needs an overhaul of textures, a brand new set for each level, maybe utilise a few from UT3 but not many - a simple texture set change would transform the game.
6) Music - how about something decent? Maybe give a choice of genres instead of this rock/grunge stuff - so 4 years ago - again Mirrors Edge had some beautiful ambient techno type music - very refreshing.

Just a quick bunch of stuff off the top of my head.

Lruce