Leaving your spoon or fork in the microwave damages the microwave.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Can anyone actually prove or disprove this?
I mean its what i was told when i grew up. It really doesn't make any sense, considering the inner hull of the microwave is made of metal. As far as i can tell it's there to deflect the microwaves.

Varpu

Novice Nali City Reviewer
May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
It depends on the shape of the spoon.

If the spoon is electrically "in tune" with the microwaves it will start to radiate the microwaves backto the magnetron and may cause damage in there. Today the magnetrons are pretty durable and usually don't get the hit.

You can do funny stuff with your oven:
ball lightning in microwave ovens
Unwise Microwave Oven Experiments

And so on ...

Microwaves can be fatal !

Stakhanov

Invisible Pink Unicorn
Apr 7, 2002
France - Paris 14eme
Visit site
Whoa , pretty freaky links Varpu ! I've already seen small discharges (metallic object form an arc with the oven ceiling) , but never thought you could cook a plasma ball inside your kitchen... lol.

As for the neon tubes lighting inside the oven , it sounds pretty logical to me , theses voracious gases absorb different sorts of energy.

Superheated water is an other interesting but dangerous physical phenomenon , it is scary to think a coffee mug can become that mean...

Edit : just tried this simple experiment (leave a 1/3 filled glass of water for 2 minutes inside the oven , let it cool down a bit , then cook again) , and it works ! The water obviously boils at first , but "cools down" unnaturally fast , and as soon as you switch the oven back on , the big bubble of steam explodes... in fact I might be lucky to not have it blow up in my face :eek:

Last edited:

The Purple Bunny

Super Mario Breakdance!
Jun 27, 2003
Hot South GA
www.bunnyhaetsu.net
I've had forks give off blue sparks when in the microwave. Maybe this has to do with the rotating plate. Maybe it has to do with superconduction. Maybe it's ghosts. I don't know. As long as the microwave doesn't blow up killing everything in a 5-block radius I don't pay attention to it.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I wanna try nuking a cd now, but I gotta wait till my parents are out so I will be able to get rid of the smell after, and also, I don't want to blow up the microwave. Most sites seem to say that modern microwaves won't be affected. Ours is about 1 year old, though it was a horrible cheap one for about £40 I think :hmm:

Stakhanov

Invisible Pink Unicorn
Apr 7, 2002
France - Paris 14eme
Visit site
Since the smaller oven is isolating microwaves anyway , I don't think you would see anything special (sparks from a metallic surface to another)

Interesting things might happen if you keep 2 identical microwave ovens next to each other with their doors removed so that microwaves can travel freely between the two ovens. Not sure if it would cause interferences or just create a bigger microwave chamber. That's something to experiment , pile in lots of glasses filled with water , and see which ones are boiling. Perhaps you would see a "nodal plane" between the 2 ovens , where microwaves have no effect.

Varpu

Novice Nali City Reviewer
May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
Fis

Bot_40 said:
I wanna try nuking a cd now, but I gotta wait till my parents are out so I will be able to get rid of the smell after .. <snip>

There is one thing you should be careful with - the FIS (Factory Installed Smoke).

From experience I know that all electrical equipment has FIS inside. Once the FIS comes out of the equipment it usually becomes defunct. And it is very hard to put the FIS back in once it has escaped. :lol:

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
My friend was microwavings something wrapped in tinfoil. I couldn't remember what at the time, we were both in the kitchen with the lights off. We throw the stuff in the microwave turn around and all of a sudden the room started flickering, we look and the microwave is sparking inside all crazy. So turns out they dont like tin foil. It still works fine, but im sure its damaged some how. Maybe one day when im bored I'll test it in my house with a bunch of silverwear.