(360/PS3) Dark Souls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Man I really hope the rumor of it only being able to run at 720p and 30fps is hugely falsified. That would be a huge kick in the teeth and plus it would look blurry as hell.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think that news outlets are reading too much into the news. It will be on Steam, but it's still likely it will just use GFWL unless it uses some horrible hybrid system like Batman Arkham City.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
aR8A4.jpg

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Prepare_To_Die_Edition

Most notable this

While PC gamers will finally get Dark Souls, don't hold your breath for graphical improvements, much less high-definition graphics. Prepare To Die is a straight port from consoles. The framerate will be locked, gameplay mods will be non-existant (due to the company's lack of experience with PC titles), and mouse and keyboard support will be minimal. FromSoftware wants to closely emulate the console experience as much as possible, and recommends hooking up a controller to the PC.[1]

So I guess the rumor of locked 30fps and 720p resolution is looking a reality. That is going to kinda sorta maybe fucking suck. I will see what others say when the game releases and if it is horrible then I might just get the PS3 version.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Prepare_To_Die_Edition

Most notable this

So I guess the rumor of locked 30fps and 720p resolution is looking a reality. That is going to kinda sorta maybe fucking suck. I will see what others say when the game releases and if it is horrible then I might just get the PS3 version.

Meh, you're quoting a wiki, which cited a source for the information. That source says simply:
On the other hand, while there will be new, PC-exclusive content, Miyazaki went on to say that this version is "mainly a port," and "in terms of visual quality, there will be no difference between the console version and the PC version." He's also strongly recommending that we play it with a gamepad and not mouse and keyboard (though both will work). From Software has little experience in the PC realm, so I'm expecting this effort to be playable, but certainly not flawless.

Which, you know, doesn't discuss locked framerates or the completely and utterly preposterous assertion of locked at 720p. You won't get higher res textures, but your resolution isn't going to be capped.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Meh, you're quoting a wiki, which cited a source for the information. That source says simply:

Which, you know, doesn't discuss locked framerates or the completely and utterly preposterous assertion of locked at 720p. You won't get higher res textures, but your resolution isn't going to be capped.

http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls...ps-720p-resolution-reports-famitsu/35-543568/

Meow and then some

I might have misinterpreted the resolution as it only applies to the assets. 1080p resolution or above will be present but it won't make a world of difference. The 30fps lock however seems to be very real unless I hear otherwise.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Of course it will make a difference. Higher display resolutions, even with the same art assets look better. Would it be even better had they redone texture resolutions? Sure, but it should still look good. I'm also willing to bet that the framerate lock is the same as DS and easily bypassed by unchecking vsync in-game and enabling it with gfx card controls.

Honestly, none of this stuff is as annoying to me as GFWL. That's where all of my hopes and dreams lie.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Dark Souls is most likely going to use GFWL from what I've read. Oh well, guess I'll be the only one getting it. Enjoy those other games then folks.

I'm just waiting on that DLC. Have only a few things left to do in the game as it stands already.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doubt most people will. At $40 with GFWL it is going to bomb pretty bad IMO.