Recommend a bargain-bin game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
strange... some people say NOLF 1 was funnier... i haven't finished playing through NOLF 2 yet, because of a strange bug that stops all dialogue and music, so i'm having a hard time being immersed and get bored easily :(

PainAmplifier

Evil by Example
Have you played Shogo yet? It's a nice medium length FPS, in Big anime robots no less. I got more fun out of this title than I did Unreal2. And as a bonus it comes in a two pack with Septerra Core - A console style RPG that so far isn't too bad. Shogo is slightly old but it still plays well and because it's anime styled the graphics don't seem too dated, although A couple of the faces look weird. (I think they tried a bit too hard for the 'anime' look, so I consider this intentional.)

Or for $20 look for the 'Stand-alone' expansion for Disciples2, Guardians of the Light. If you like turn-based strategy, this one will suck up a huge chunk of hours like they were chiclets. You could possibly get the full game for around the same price, but that is redundant if you get the expansions since they contain (half-each) the original game also.

If you haven't tried Kiss:psycho Circus yet, it's worth a try. It's a theme based (Duh) FPS, but some of the level designs are interesting. A bit repetitive for monsters, but some of the weapons are new takes on old standbys, although be careful the first time you try the 'Star Cannon'.... :eek: (The Star Child's super weapon...I think that was the name for it.) Not quite as good as the Serious Sam games, but worth playing once at least.

You might also see if you can get Aliens Vs Predator 2. Very good game, although the original is kinda crappy. (Aliens move way too fast...they should be fast, but not so fast they *warp*... :mad: )

Last edited:

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Battlezone 2 (if you can find it)

I have a copy of No One Lives Forever sitting here that I never even installed. It came with my GF4.. I'll try it one day when I get bored. That's not a problem for me right now. Sometimes I wish I had time to be bored.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Thrash123 said:
So, that pretty much just leaves Quake 2 and 3, and RTC Wolfenstein. I'll add those to the list to look for (I can only get one, however).

RTC Wolfenstein is a really nice game! I finished the single player, and it's a load of fun. Haven't played the multiplayer, but I've been told it's pretty good.

hal said:
I didn't see anyone mention Serious Sam 2. If you've never played that, I highly recommend picking it up ($8.00 - WalMart) if you even remotely enjoy first person shooter games.

Hal, ever since you first posted that a few weeks ago, I've been looking for it in every Wally World in my area. No luck. :(

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Heres ones I found cheap that were winners
  • Hardw[a]r. Looks like crap on the box, but overall its really fun. the economy is well put together, and you can just play multiplayer games, on your own (with AI pilots) and have just as much fun as in an online game. Though, the netcode sucks, so don't play online unless you get to be the server.
  • Total Annihilation (If you can find it)
  • HyperBlade (If you can get it to run right... don't even try in XP unless you want to screw around with settings all day.
  • Rise Of The Triad (Old, but I saw it at Computer Success last week :con:
  • Blood. Old like ROTT, but more fun than a barrel of burning monkeys with C4
  • Star Siege (Paid 0.99 ^.^)
  • Tribes 2. If you don't mind downloading the 86 meg patch, its multiplayer will addict you so fast.... But the SP missions are really just to get you into multiplayer. they really suck.
  • Unreal. if you don't have it yet, by it. Read the translator messages if you want to really enjoy the plot :)
  • Earth 2150. The skirmishes are a bit ****ty imo, but the single player is brilliant, once you adjust.
  • Dungeo Keeper 1/2. A bit hard at times, but wickedly addicting.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Warcraft II battle.net edition- lots of RTS bang for the buck.
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force- plauged by bad support and a buggy expansion pack, but the main game is good as gold, one of the best star trek games available at the time. Still quite a few multiplayer servers.
Rollercoaster Tycoon (not gold edition)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nolf. Both great single player, both great graphics, both great fun!!! :)

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Welp, I bought SS2. Great game so far, whacking monkies is fun. :) Keeps me on my toes too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out next time I hit the bargain bin.

On a side note, I also bought 2 new pairs of pants, "The Art of Deception" (Kevin Mitnick book), and "The Language Police" (A look at overzealous political correctness in textbooks and education materials). It's been a great birthday.

Corsair1009

hippie in love
Jun 7, 2001
feh
freespace 1 & 2 and Independence War 2 own all :p
(that and TFC)...

hello once more all! :D
surprised my name still works...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Renegade Retard said:
Hal, ever since you first posted that a few weeks ago, I've been looking for it in every Wally World in my area. No luck. :(

You're probably looking in the section with all of the boxed games. You'll find it in the "shovelware" section with all of the games like Deer Hunter, Card Games, etc. It didn't come with a box, just the jewel case.

ApostleX3000

unit 3000-21 is warming
Jan 7, 2001
New York
Visit site
hal said:
Actually they are the same price at the stores I visit. Either 19.99 or 14.99.

NOLF 2 introduced the hide system and allowed you to search the bodies. Both of which introduced a lot of strategy to the game. Not to mention the power up for finding intelligence which changes the way the game plays towards the end. Then you have the little branching levels and far superior humor.

Not to mention NOLF2 looks much, much better. I prefer NOLF 2 in every way. :)

I found it for 24.99 @ EB and it was worth every penny. Thanks for the heads up on this game...it freaking rocked!!

One of the best things is eavesdropping on the conversations of the enemys.

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Total Annihilation (and expansion packs)
Unreal 1
Dark Forces 2
Quake
Mech Warrior 2
Rainbow 6 Covert Ops (or any of the rainbow six series)
System Shock 2
Dark Reign 2
Starcraft and Broodwar
Warcraft 2
Diablo
Baldurs Gate 2 (I saw it somewhere in the bargain bin)