UE3 - General [UEng2/UEng3] Seamless looping music.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
It's pretty rare now to find other musicians active in this community so I hope this effort isn't in vain. Over the years the few I've met have had hard times getting a natural loop (mostly for 2k4). This is a simple process I thought I'd share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_L_vS_TKXU
Basics:
Duplicate the loop
Export
Locate the halfway mark
Delete all audio before it

GeckoYamori

Apr 27, 2008
I've made looped music in games before so I have some experience with it. Basicly I load up a .wav export of my song in any common audio editing software, set the BPM to the same amount found in the song's project file, find desired loop point and split it into an intro file and a loop file. Then of course it is dependant on the game itself to properly play them seamlessly without hitching or anything.

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
Is there a way to take a song and seperate different pieces, then rebuild it in an interactive way for UT to play it? I personally think some daft punk songs would be awesome to take apart and use for a map, but i've no actual music skill, and i really just know the basics of Audacity, of course i'm willing to learn something if it means making my own music.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
The tut was written to introduce proper decay into the beginning of the loop and use simple math to split it at the precise point. Unless you can render from source you're stuck following the "by-ear" method.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Great stuff- had a go doing a similar thing from FruityLoops + Adobe Audition.

If only UT3 could have leadin/run off for each sample - as any track imported needs to be pretty generic (and have no real delay/echo) in order that each sample run together.

Say if you wanted to import something with a lot of violin/organ that had a lot of reverb on it, you'd be better having a sample with cues to mark out the loop, then the ends outside the loop would overlap onto the next loop, rather than simply cut-off dead which is how UT3 appears to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to do something more ambient for the game. :)

Attachments

• looptheloop.jpg
    looptheloop.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18

UTNOVA

French cat under acid
Dec 8, 2008
France
sebastiennova.wordpress.com
Say if you wanted to import something with a lot of violin/organ that had a lot of reverb on it, you'd be better having a sample with cues to mark out the loop, then the ends outside the loop would overlap onto the next loop, rather than simply cut-off dead which is how UT3 appears to do it.
Can you explain that a bit plz.

I use Fruityloop too and I would know if I have to cut my sample (with reverb) just a the point loop or can I export the looping part with the option "leave reminder" so the sound can be loop with overlap the reverb part on the next loop? Ut3 ed can loop a sample with overlaping the sound ?
Sorry for my english.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
zynthetic said:

lol - guess I've got no excuse then!

UTNOVA - I'll make a selection on beat or however long each side of the segment - for example - if I'm rendering stuff down to save CPU - it exports 'sliced' meaning when you import into audition (or back into flstudio ) you'll get markers/cues that are placed in.

I'll try write something up over the weekend ( and have another go at compiling a custom track in UT3 )