Finally Played UTXMP...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elzergone

Oct 31, 2001
California
Visit site
Hi Everyone. I've been playing XMP since the first beta came out; its by far my favorite multiplayer game. Something about it, despite all its flaws, makes it such an amazingly enjoyable experience, that I cant find a more satisfying MP game to play. So, I finally decided to pick up UT2004, for the sole purpose of giving UTXMP a try. I have very mixed feelings about it.

First, the good:

The vehicle physics are such an improvement its hard to go back to the original.

It runs smoother, its far easier to hit and tell your hitting someone.

Bots (they're terrible, but I know they will be good someday.)

SOME of the new weapon effects look really good.

And now the bad...

The flamethrower is terrible. It looks bad, it acts bad, its just bad all around. And what the hell is with the alt fire floating in the air??

THE HUD!!! Why?!?!? Why oh why did you ruin the hud??? Its obtrusive, its distracting, and it looks all around bad!! Why cant we have the old hud?? Was something wrong with it? I mean come on!!

The announcer. Its really irritating to hear "monster kill" when I gut-blow more than one person. Its so...UT-ish.

The hacking effect. Thats ugly too! The old one looked so much better.

The raptor turret. Its no fun anymore - it lacks the uniqueness it had before, now its just a minigun.

The EMP grenade effect; just not as special anymore.

The Duster firing effect - looks like its shooting air.

Anyways, enough whining. Just please for gods sake fix the hud if nothing else. I'm greatly looking foward to Beta 2. Thank you for your hard work to keep this gem alive.

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
elzergone said:
And now the bad...

The flamethrower is terrible. It looks bad, it acts bad, its just bad all around. And what the hell is with the alt fire floating in the air??
The Changelog said:
10/04 Increased particle generation rate and size for gas and flame radiators attached to players

THE HUD!!! Why?!?!? Why oh why did you ruin the hud??? Its obtrusive, its distracting, and it looks all around bad!! Why cant we have the old hud?? Was something wrong with it? I mean come on!!
The number of threads that were started regarding the first HUD (all artsy and flowery) was huge. The number of threads started when the new HUD was released was almost the same. However I don't think it's a high priority thing, but I do remember someone saying that HUD-scaling was now effective. Can somebody back that up?

The announcer. Its really irritating to hear "monster kill" when I gut-blow more than one person. Its so...UT-ish.
The Changelog said:
10/04 Announcer voice level controllable via audio option (disable, play some, play all)

The hacking effect. Thats ugly too! The old one looked so much better.
The Changelog said:
13/04 New hack effects
The raptor turret. Its no fun anymore - it lacks the uniqueness it had before, now its just a minigun.
Fair point, havn't seen anything regarding this yet.
The EMP grenade effect; just not as special anymore.
There was lots of correspondence over this at first, but everybody got used to it since it is kinda cool after all.

The Duster firing effect - looks like its shooting air.
The Changelog said:
13/04 New Assault Rifle Effects

I think that's everything for now... Oh yeah, link to the changelog.

ScorpioProX

Sep 2, 2004
Hi elzergone,
I'm also a die hard XMP player, and yes its the best game out there!
Still play it with great joy!
elzergone said:
Alt fire floating in the air makes the game lagg like hell 2! One of the reasons I dont play utXmp.

elzergone said:
Yea the old hud is much better more pro looking,less intrucive. Its a really bad bad hud. A really cheap feel...still hope some one on FMI will FIX this! And with a FIX I mean the old hud!

But I wander you like the way the utXmp raptor drives? Cause I love the XMP one. Takes some efort to learn to drive and then there is nothing you cant do with it...the utXmp raptor well just drives takes no skill and well like i sad just good for driving....its more a road car while the XMP raptor is a off the road car!

Stoneblind

/\°§pèçtré
Mar 18, 2004
www.clanalpha.net
I'm totally glad to hear you're a fan of this magnum opus of a multiplayer game; don't feel worried that we're going to chew you up about your complaints, man, it's all cool, it's all been discussed already, and they're all being worked on as we speak; of course, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but the pace is out of our hands. If you're feeling impatient for a patch like most of us, don't be; play other games, but stick around, because this game's got so much to offer. I've never enjoyed a game in my life as much as U2XMP, and I'll be damned to ditch UTXMP for some mainstream, overrated piece of trash. Be sure to check out the live change log whenever you have the time too, never know what the crew might come up with.

KillaALF

Mar 9, 2004
ScorpioProX said:
But I wander you like the way the utXmp raptor drives? Cause I love the XMP one. Takes some efort to learn to drive and then there is nothing you cant do with it...the utXmp raptor well just drives takes no skill and well like i sad just good for driving....its more a road car while the XMP raptor is a off the road car!

Same here. U2XMP's raptor takes some time getting used to it, but it's way more fun than UTXMP's, which feels like it's glued to the ground and pretty much indestructable. Feels like a tank.

elzergone

Oct 31, 2001
California
Visit site
ScorpioProX said:

Well, the new Raptor isnt perfect. The boost doesnt seem to work right... it makes the nose point down sometimes, and yes, it doesnt feel indestructable. The other thing about it, is that it seems much harder to get it in the air. My favor for the new one comes simply from the ability to steer the thing correctly. The old one had this habit of oversteering and rapidly flipping all the way around. A little annoying.

Stoneblind said:
I'm totally glad to hear you're a fan of this magnum opus of a multiplayer game; don't feel worried that we're going to chew you up about your complaints, man, it's all cool, it's all been discussed already, and they're all being worked on as we speak; of course, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but the pace is out of our hands. If you're feeling impatient for a patch like most of us, don't be; play other games, but stick around, because this game's got so much to offer. I've never enjoyed a game in my life as much as U2XMP, and I'll be damned to ditch UTXMP for some mainstream, overrated piece of trash. Be sure to check out the live change log whenever you have the time too, never know what the crew might come up with.

Well thanks for understanding. :) I'm not going crazy waiting for the new version, I'd rather have it good and late than now and incomplete. I read in the changelog that now you can enter vehicles U2XMP style, which is fantastic. Hopefully they can bring the 'gridline' effect on useable items back. I can live with the new EMP effect, and the new incendiary grenade effect, but I really hope they fix the Raptors gun. If nothing else just increase the fire rate and give it the old sound again.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Personally, I definitely prefer the new vehicle handling over the U2 version. I think we all agreed that incorporating vehicle damage is a needed. And, the changelog lists that as a change that has been incorporated into the latest builds.

I am with you all the way on XMP being the best multiplayer FPS type game ever.:rockon: