GeForce w/ compressed Textures?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathMachine[DER]

Nov 29, 1999
SLC
cc.weber.edu
I was wondering if the new GeForce Cards will be able to use the S3TC compressed textures. In the specs it has its own texture compression stuff, but will it support the ones on UT? Anybody Know?

------------------
Use the Der!

Destroyer

Nov 29, 1999
Visit site
It seems that UT only supports compressed textures with a S3 Savage4 or the older Savage3 cards using the S3 MetalDriver in UT.

But if someone knows a possibility to enable compressed textures with D3D please post it.

Homer

Nov 26, 1999
Hannover, Germany
www.bluestuff.de
If I'm not completely wrong i think UT supports texture compression on the Gforce via the DXT1 compression built into DX7's Direct 3D interface... not sure though. Give it a try and install the compressed textures... u surely WILL see if the gforce makes use of them or not /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Hope this helps,
Homer

Heresy

Saw on Voodoo Extreme that Tim S. commented on this.

Supposedly they had trouble implementing compressed textures in D3D (DXTC), so GeForce will not be able to use the compressed textures.

I am hoping that they see the value in this and work and try a little harder to get this feature working for GeForce cards

Just another selfish bastard. What can I say.

Wendy

Nov 10, 1999
Staten Island, NY
members.xoom.com
Yes, it looks like I am the only one here seeing those bad boys! SWEEET!
But, again, in heated battle u don't have time to look.

bullet2.gif

You walk the thin line between glory and despair, soon you shall cross over it.

Sachiel

Nov 29, 1999
Visit site
I gave the Hi-res textures a try on my GeForce. It seemed to make the levels take longer to load as the beginning of each match lags quite a bit until everything gets loaded. Don't see any difference in quality though so it may be that the hi-res textures don't truly work for the GeForce.