Locking up my PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I apparently have someone in my family who plays on my computer when I'm not around. I found this out by outting my computer into sleep mode while I was at work. I came back, it was out of sleep mode. Hmmm.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to set it up so that windows needs a password in order to boot up and load. How can I set one of these up?

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
enter your bios and you will see a option that lets you set a password. just dont forgot your password or you will never be able to get into your computer again :D

you get into your bios when you start up your computer. there will be a button to press like backspace or esc.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by TTRStryker8
as stated use a bios password and/or screensaver password

problem with a screen saver password is that someone can just restart the computer. problem with the bios password is that most mother boards have a switch to flush out the bios on them to get rid of the password. but this is hard to do and you have to know what your doing and looking for. but doing both is a smart idea and will guarentee that you keep people out.

Snipeo

Happy lil Camper
Jan 10, 2001
#beyondunreal Sanity: [|||------] 23
It's easy to get thru BIOS passwords btw. you just switch some jumpers (or wotever) to reset the BIOS, Ive done it once or twice, damn my memory ;) .

Best way for setting up a windows password is to make use of the 'User's thingy. (Start>Control Panel>Users) and just setup one (you) and password it. Dont mention to anyone that you can press cancel on the window that now pops up on startup asking you for the password and you'll go straight thru anyway though :D

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by Snipeo
It's easy to get thru BIOS passwords btw. you just switch some jumpers (or wotever) to reset the BIOS, Ive done it once or twice, damn my memory ;) .

Best way for setting up a windows password is to make use of the 'User's thingy. (Start>Control Panel>Users) and just setup one (you) and password it. Dont mention to anyone that you can press cancel on the window that now pops up on startup asking you for the password and you'll go straight thru anyway though :D

everyone already knows about that though. :p

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
guys, the person I'm trying to keep out is so stupid when it comes to computers he'd never know to switch a jumper or whatever. He doesn't even know what one is.

I've tried a bios password but windows keeps booting up without ever asking for one.

[edit] and yes the idea is not to press cancel to just bypass the password. That kinda defeats my purpose here :)[/edit]

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
there might be an option in the bios for security settings that will be set to setup or something. change that to system, and it'll ask for the password when you switch on

Evc

Represent
Dec 22, 2001
Dreamland
www.fastlanehw.com
Originally posted by [RSU]D-Stroya
there might be an option in the bios for security settings that will be set to setup or something. change that to system, and it'll ask for the password when you switch on
Thats what you gotta do.. change it from setup to 'system' and he wont get past the BIOS screen:D

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Another way to clear the BIOS, is taking out its battery, wait a bit, and restart. (please switch the computer off for this ;) )

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
lmao @ afkik :D:lol::D

that would definitely work! :D

but I just set a bios pass and a screen saver pass. The guy I am trying to keep out will never get by this. I know anyone else who knew anything about a bios and stuff like that could, but c ome on. This is my family we're talking about here ;)

they: "I MOVED THIS ICON, HOW DO I MOVE IT BACK"

me: "well, how'd you move it to start with?"

"well I just clicked and dragged, and I... HEY! whaddya know! thanks!"

me: :rolleyes:

;)

my bro knows more about computers than my parents. My dad's the one I'm trying to keep out of here. He'll never bypass this. Never :D

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
lol, thats how my dad is, he thinks you have to click on the little arrow on some icons to get into them, so he sits there forever trying to get a perfect click on the arrow, then he waits a second and clicks again and gets pissed because "i double clicked it and the damn thing wont open, i hate these computers"

I just walk off laughing :)