Washed out textures?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Not sure if it's my imagination, but i don't seem to remember textures being washed out like this before. Maybe I'm just noticing stuff now. Anyone got any ideas, or is it just me being picky. Sorry if the pick is too dark. I tried to brighten it up without distorting what I was trying to show.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
hmm, i can barely see it but i think i know what you mean, dunno never saw this before, change some brightness settings, both in ut, as for your 3d card if possible and maybe your monitor, or maybe try new drivers for the 3d card

opengl gives the best colourcontrast to what i heard but is a bit dark, while d3d can get washed out at times, but never had the possibilty to check that for myself, so im not sure, but if you really want full colours try opengl though,

http://unreal.epicgames.com/ info and new opengl render thing for ut if intersted

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Hey, glad to see you in the forums Hourences!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to see. I recently went back to my Voodoo3 card because UT just looks and runs better in glide IMO (don't want to open that can of worms!), but I don't seem to remember having that little problem before. It could have been there all along. You wouldn't suggest running UT in opengl on a voodoo card would you? Every time I switch to opengl (on my gladiac card), i have problems with masked textures, like skyboxes turning black and stuff. The voodoo card in glide still provides the best performance for me, so i'm going to stick with it until U2 comes out, but i just wondered if there was a simple fix for this. Thanks.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
yah offcourse, if it is an voodoo card stick with glide, maybe try some other drivers though or it could just be your card, i got a voodoo2 wich also seem to wash things out, everything is very bright on my pc and the colours dont have full contrast stuff....

MikeB

Oct 23, 2001
Visit site
I also find textures appear washed out ,when I run the game in Direct 3D ,openGL gives better image quality imo .For my old system ,upgrading today :) ,D3D was faster but visual quality was quite average .

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
open GL looks so much better because the contrast is set at 50% in D3d, leading to a washed out look

lightmaps also don't 'green out' as much in OpenGL as they do in d3d, the downside is that maps lit for d3d are often total white-outs in opengl ;(

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
i hear they are super-fast , and its either elsa or creative , and i wouldnt touch a creative with a 10ft barge poll..unless its a sound card

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
well, i don't think the elsa is any faster than the creative since they use the same chipset from nvidia. the issue would be the support and drivers and such. most people usually d/l the nvidia reference drivers anyway instead of using the ones that came with the card.