Photorealistic texturing (for Angelheart)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
I've been having a few problems turning my photos into textures -

First off, alot of my images are distorted - I'm using a 35mm lens on a digital camera, which fish-eye's about 35% of the image;

Second off, what are the best hours of the day to get pictures? I've noticed that the digital works pretty well with indoor light, but is worthless at night. Also, what are the basic tips for creating a good tiling texture?

Thanks,
Manzell Blakeley

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
photoshop is quite complex...if youre new I recomend painshoppro..its much easier on the wallet too :)

then theres a button you can press to make the texture "seamless" and psp does it for you.

why are you using a fisheye lens?

also, always do it in the daytime...if needed you can easily darken it, but brightening lowers the quality.

now, Ive never actually used a dig. camera before...but that just seems logical to me.

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Err... the fisheye is inherent with a 35mm lens - theoretically a 50mm would give you a "flat" image; but I can't just pop any old lens onto a digital camera.

I'm using photoshop and/or photopaint, all of which are free (to me). I'm really looking for tips of the trade.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
psp can do seamless? i thought only PS could do that with the "offset" filter? which filter does that with PSP? i'd be extremely grateful if you could tell me... :)

Dec 18, 2000
home.hot.rr.com
Im not sure what the images you workin with look like but if you want the basics, play around with Hue/Saturation , Brightness/Contrast , and fart around with the Unsharp Mask Filter. And don't forget your crop tool ;)

If yout tring to basic seamless textrues read this Seamless

Post a pic so we can see what shape your photo is in :)

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Seamless textures can be done in just about any graphics program. I used to do seamless stuff in PSP when I started texturing, all you have to do is do a feathered rectangular select, copy, and paste mirrored on the other side (don't ask me to explain). Then you redetail the side that you just copied to so it doesn't look blurry on the sides.

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Okay, this doesn't really have a fish-eye problem; but as you can see I've started to address the tiling issue - at least horizontally. vertically it's still a mess; and I'm not sure any amount of clone stamping can fix it...

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Thrash123
Seamless textures can be done in just about any graphics program. I used to do seamless stuff in PSP when I started texturing, all you have to do is do a feathered rectangular select, copy, and paste mirrored on the other side (don't ask me to explain). Then you redetail the side that you just copied to so it doesn't look blurry on the sides.

or you hit the "make seamless" button :)

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
or you hit the "make seamless" button :)
oh, hell and damnation... i've been using psp since before summer, but i've never ever known about the "convert to seamless texture" function... :con: maybe the fact that i've never had to do so might have something to do with it though... :D
thanks, jb, j00 m4h h3r0... :D