Slowdown in UT after re-install

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I had to reformat my hard drive :( the other day and after re-installing UT, it's seems slower than before. I have a 933mhz PIII, 383MB ram and a GeForce3 card. I'm running in D3D at 800x600 with 32 bit textures. I patched to 436 and installed bonus pack 1. There are no other mods/mutators/skins, etc on it yet, but it just seems slower. This is the same configuration I used before and it ran like silk. I also have the Detonator 12.41 driver for my GeForce card (Same as last time) and DirectX 8.

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Were you running the UT beta D3D drivers before? Can you remember any tweaking that you did before? And most of all, have you tried OpenGL with the beta drivers?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Don't load the most recent d3ddrv.dll drivers - they cut my frame rate in half.

Just use the 436.

Btw, whenever I make a system change (ie, format, hardware, whatever) I always benchmark - but it sounds like you're obviously having some issues here that were not issues before.

Make sure you load the latest mouse drivers - oh, btw, with that system you really should be running at 1024x768x32 - you can handle that NO problem.

Try Detonator 12.90 - been good for me.

Turn off Volumetric Lighting - that will likely take care of everything. (see my system if you think "Oh, my system can handle that" - but you got me on video card)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Whenever you uninstall UT, the folder and registry entries will still exist in your root directory. Always manually delete the orphaned UT folder and registry entries before a reinstall.

PHATBURNER

a.k.a. [DK]_-Outc@st-_
I have the same problem...even after I formatted, and UT was the first thing to be installed, without mods of any kind... just GOTY 436 in the raw.

That choppy mouse movement in menus is driving me insane! In practice games off-line I can only achieve 18fps ave!! And about 30fps ave on-line :mad: I used to get 75fps easy on-line with 1024x768 with eye candy on. Spec is Win ME, 384RAM, D800, GF2 32 mx.

I use the latest drivers for everything,but wondered what everybodies opinion was of the multitude of drivers available for my card- Geforce 32mx, is official better, or the beta detonators etc?

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
i've noticed horrible framerates only in vanilla UT :( Tac ops works fine as does Unreal. Lava Giant and Barricade are the biggest offenders. Also in all 3, the menu temporarily freezes when i go any where in the multiplayer area that isnt related to IRC.

For instance im chatting away and i decide to go look for a server.... there is a near 100% chance that during the time im looking for a server, or even the instance i press a tab, that i will get a Freezing episode. This happens between online matches as well (when a match is over and it is switching).
This happens on my friends comp as well, though my comp is much more powerful.
here are the stats:
800mhz athlon
256mb ram
28gig HD
GeForce2 GTS 64mb
DSL connection ( though this happened on 56k for me as well)

I run U, UT, TO o 1024x768 32bit color and high details, standard video resolution.
Nothing is overclocked.