ps2 Unreal Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
and probably nothing else. the system can't handle the last generation of graphics, how would it be able to handle the next?

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
There were rumours of a game called Unreal Assault for the PS2, but that's been canned now, if it even existed at all.

As Brizz said, the PS2 struggles to handle the original UT, so there's no way it'll be able to handle UT2004-level titles.

cole_bie

^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^
Jun 29, 2004
i think the ps2 could easily handle it. game designers are really pushing the limits of the ps2 and games are coming out that more and more resemble xbox games such as mercanaries.

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
While the PS2 is a great system (it's my console of choice...), I must agree with RaptoR and Brizz on this one.

The PlayStation2 just doesn't have the ability to push the number of polygons that current Unreal games require.

The only Unreal game for the PS2 is the original UT. But I can't recommend it because it's a pretty shoddy port. :(

Uncle_Bob

Sympathy for Mr. Vengance
Apr 12, 2004
www.naliclan.tk
Dues Ex is on PS2, that uses the unreal engine. I haven't played it but its suposed to be a bit jerky.

Far Cry is coming out on PS2 and it has really advanced graphics. It will probably scaled down loads in the detail department though.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
ps2 can sometimes handle a higher polycount than the avg ut2004 level on a normal modern pc can
polycount isnt the problem, memory use and the way its calculated and stored is
unreal wasnt build with ps2 and its memory/cpu architecture in mind so its really bad in drawing and storing things on it sufficiently
renderware engine and stuff are better for ps2

there are multiple u ps2 titles in dev atm tho

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I actually think the problem is more hardware rendering, iso-linear filtering, and antialiasing more than anything. the PS2 has none.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Turboman said:
unreal engine 2 does run on the ps2 without problems, splinter cell and XIII use ue2 and run on the ps2, those games have more detail then ut2k4 so i assume that would run fine too.
Splinter Cell doesn't match UT2004's graphics and XIII lacks detail.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
PS2 Splinter Cell doesn't even come close to XBox Splinter Cell. It's not really UEngine 2, it's a hack.

UncleThursday

teh suxx0r
Sep 6, 2004
Hell, AKA New Jersey
www.gamesarefun.com
cole_bie said:
i think the ps2 could easily handle it. game designers are really pushing the limits of the ps2 and games are coming out that more and more resemble xbox games such as mercanaries.

Sorry, but you're being somewhat of a wishful thinker there. The only games on the PS2, GameCube, and Xbox that have the PS2 being comperable, graphics wise, to the other two systems are the games deisgen on the PS2 first, then ported over with no effort put into the ports for the higher powered systems.

The PS2 can push polys, it does that fine. What the PS2 can't do is good textures and bit and bump mapping. It absolutely sucks at these, and the mere 8MB of VRAM bunched with the vector units and co-processing limitations doesn't help.

Compare Splinter Cell on the PS2 to the Xbox (or GC) version, and it's no comparrison which has the better graphics. Just try to find a game that has the level of detail of The Chronicles of Riddick (Xbox) or the graphics seen in the new Legend of Zelda trailer (GC) on the PS2. The closest you may find is GT4 or KillZone, but even then you'll be able to see better graphics on the other two systems, and see the faults in the PS2's graphics.

Not to bash the PS2, really. I love the RPGs on it, and the THPS series on it... but, when it comes to graphics "that more and more resemble xbox' graphics, you're living in a fantasy world. Then again, it is about gameplay, in the end, not graphics.

UncleThursday

teh suxx0r
Sep 6, 2004
Hell, AKA New Jersey
www.gamesarefun.com
Sir_Brizz said:
I actually think the problem is more hardware rendering, iso-linear filtering, and antialiasing more than anything. the PS2 has none.

To be honest, the GC and Xbox have kind of a hard time with antiailiasing as well. Tons of jaggies on all the systems. IT's too much of a processor hit to effectively AA games, at least with the current gen of consoles.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
With interlacing, you can't really tell anyways...but the truth is that every XBox game uses a form of Quincunx by default, although it's not exceptionally better, it does make a difference.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Kailonn said:
What are the games for the ps2 that are unreal? (ut also) I've been looking but..
actually, there's a port of Unreal 1 for the PS1. I've not seen any material on it, and seeing it's PS1 it's probably a pretty sorry port...

But then again, PS1 handled Quake 2 pretty good.

(No, I'm not a Quaker. You won't find me playing that stuff online. I had Quake long before Unreal though.)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Dark Pulse said:
actually, there's a port of Unreal 1 for the PS1. I've not seen any material on it, and seeing it's PS1 it's probably a pretty sorry port...

Unreal 1 on PS1, are u sure, i was subscribed to official ps2 magazine and there is no record of such a title. UT1 came out on PS2 but was allegedly poor (comparitevly) I'm not a fan of console FPS games i like using a mouse. (any smart asses who say u can get a mouse and keyboard for ps2 can shut up, i wouldn't buy one.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Not totally, the only reason I said that was a Tips & Tricks codebook has codes for it. Like I've said, I've seen no other media on it.

Keep in Mind Unreal is a less demanding game then UT99 - textures were mostly 256x256, whereas UT had ones that went all the way up to 1024x512 I think.

Last edited: