No crosshairs with AKIMBO POWER.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
Alright how about this fellas.

You're going to allow crosshairs only when aiming a weapon, right? Well, then if people want to use akimbo weapon power, then there should be no crosshairs EVER, because you can't aim akimbo weapons like you can a single uzi or pistol. The kickback should be doubled as well, because you'd only have half the control of the weapon with one hand.

Please don't tell me this is TOO REAL. And please don't tell me you can aim akimbo weapons just as easily as a single weapon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Its unfortunate that you're even including akimbo weapons. While its cool for John Wu flicks and gangstas, what seasoned professional goes akimbo?

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
I agree with you on that point Mojo, as I've stated many times. But it's not my decision, so I'll learn to accept it. I just hoping the INF team makes Akimbo almost impossible to use effectively, since that would mimic real life, and hopefully people won't use it. And if they do, I'll enjoy popping some rounds through their teeth, while they're running around with dual uzis looking like crazed lunatics with this look on their faces - /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Yknow, it might actually have a real use... I know a professional soldier wouldn't go akimbo, but I could see a bodyguard whipping out 2 UZI's and going nuts on the sniper's position, (of course not hitting anything) just to keep the sniper down to buy enough time to evac the vip. Or maybe a terrorist after Special Forces raided his base and everything went ape-shit, he has to traverse around inside so he leaves his sniper rifle, and grabs his dead buddy's Five-seveN to use with his own M9 (they each have about 10 rounds left), and goes around trying to blast several holes in some American scum from up close, where he doesn't need accuracy.

I'd probably never use it, but it could be a fun addition (maybe even useful once in a great while) as long as it doesn't work too good too often.

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
Yes, but I get the feeling most people out there are looking to be an akimbo bodygaurd, instead of a professional soldier. I just think it will detract from the realism seeing a lot of akimbo-ing going on all around you, instead of a lot of professional military tactics. Just wait until you get TK'd a few times in the back of the head by someone who thinks "Hell, it's cool to use akimbo uzis, who cares if I TK a few people, and provide absolutely zero usefulness to my team."

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Well hopefully when those idiots realize they don't get as many kills with akimbo, they'll stop... and if that happened I'd switch teams just so I could blast that retard a new one with my M4... scratch that, I'd use the M203.

*bloop!*

*KABOOM!!!*

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
dont you guys get sick of this topic?

I think these fears are so far fetched that i simply have to laugh for even mentioning them. (I'm worried that all i'm going to see is a bunch of people running around with dual pistols)

Consider this for a moment. In order to get 2 pistols your going to need to kill someone (versions earlier than 3.0 at least) Then consider that on 90% of maps there is an extreem abundance of larger guns. heck in most AS-maps there's somekind of stock pile. So players don't even get a chance to use akimbo pistols till they're out on the field, and by that time they've already 1)been killed or 2) got a SMG or AR. I seriously doubt that your going to see droves of people passing by obviously superiour weapons just for akimbo pistols.

Frankly i think your affraid of seeing Action Q2 gameplay showing up. But I remind you that that is impossible. The reason akimbo was so popular in AQ2 was simply because there was only one Mp5 in a map, only 1 m4, ect ect. and with people dieing everywhere, akimbo was the easiest thing to do.

in INF there are no limits to how many people can be running around with m4's or SMG's so in gameplay terms the akimbo pistol feature is little more than a fill in the gap between M9, and UZI.

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
Who says you can't just by two m9s to start the round? Isn't it possible to do that in the real world? And yes, I agree with you, I am concerned about seeing AQ2 style gameplay showing up in INF. I honestly don't believe the INF team would do that, but akimbo ability is a step in that direction.

btw, Gryphon, why would akimbo m9s be allowed and not akimbo uzis? or akimbo mp5s? or akimbo m16s? or what the hell, akimbo grenade launchers? Because it's UNrealistic? hmmmm. I'm a little fuzzy on how the line on akimbo realism is being drawn, when, HEY its ALL UNREALISTIC. *sigh*

Sorry about the tense reply. I'm just trying to validate my paranoia. I truly do have faith in the INF team, and I'm not losing sleep over it. I just think, well, I guess you already know what I think. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warren

Infiltration Project Coordinator
Nov 24, 1999
Portland, OR
www.sentrystudios.com
This is really a mix between politics and facts. The fact is, Inf will try to be as realistic as possible. No need to worry, we will draw the line somewhere.. if you think dual pistols is going to lead to jump boots and dual rocket launchers, I'm actually disappointed in how naive you think we are. I say that with sincerity of course! The political part is, we want people to play Inf. Sometimes that takes a little bit of persuasion. Picture the young guy who loves the thought of dual DE's.. then picture that guy getting slaughtered time after time because he buys two DE's and not much else. Most people learn to adapt and overcome- in which case, that guy will learn that dual weapons really isn't the way to go. It's one of the few 'fun' factors that isn't impossible by any means and brings over people who enjoyed that feature from AQ or other games. Then hopefully they'll see a lot of other 'cool' factors in Inf and learn to shy away from dual weapons, but maybe once in a while try it out cause it's so fun. I personally want to try a botmatch or two on an easy skill level and play a little too. (no god complex here!) Have fun with it! Obviously it's not going to change the balance of power, so worry more about the guy who has mastered the fine art of using the .50 caliber bolt action sniper rifle at great distances, unseen because he's far away, lying prone on a perch or rooftop and you can't even pop your head up to see where the flash is coming from! Sure, everyone says they hate politics, even I have, but you can't avoid it regardless of what you may think.. it may be as small as how you deal with your parents, or as large as dealing with young dual DE lovers all over the world! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
Warren
Project Coordinator
i n f i l t r a t i o n
http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration

Questions? Are you a FNG? Check out our Roadmap.
Then check out our FAQ.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
I really hate to disagree with Warren, although he shares the same name (or maybe is) my old second level from ACN/USIT, but, in short, people will abuse akimbo, because it is effective. In AQ2 (because I couldnt' get Weapons Factory not to lag out) I used akimbo pistols, and I survived every round. In UT, I used akimbo enforcers. why? Because they were so goddam effective. They dealt more damage per round, plus a steady rate of fire, without the erratic bouncing around of the minigun, with a decent kill rate. Exactly how is INF going to balance akimbo-ness? Akimbo is an extremely powerful combo, even in real life. I have, myself, fired two M16's in single burst akimbo (for an advanced recon squad, mind you, and it hurt my goddam biceps like all f#(@ing Hell) to test their effectiveness. Results: Two head shots left, one chest shot left, three head shots right.

Warren

Nov 24, 1999
Portland, OR
www.sentrystudios.com
Your accuracy won't be very good, because to be honest, dual weapons won't be much good outside short distances. Your reload time will be doubled, at best. The aiming reticle won't be very useful. You won't be able to stop your bleeding because both hands are full. I personally haven't ever played any Action mod, but I assure you, it won't be pretty.

------------------
Warren
Project Coordinator
i n f i l t r a t i o n

Then check out our FAQ.

mp*lennon

Mar 3, 2000
From despair to where
Visit site
My thoughts on the whole akimbo thing:

I think it's great that INF will have akimbo weapons. While I love realistic gameplay, I also enjoy movie-like action (that's the reason I'm making maps for "The Opera" http://www.halflife.net/opera).

If Infiltration will have realistic akimbo weapons (which would be great), I do believe they'll prolly be extremely fun against Novice bots (or at LAN parties). I don't think that I'll use akimbo weaps when playing infiltration online. I'll stick with effective weapons online.. But akimbo weapons will be extremely fun if the INF team can balance them properly.

BTW so what weapons can be used Akimbo?

BTW 2: Will the Infiltration player model have akimbo animations? The regular UT models didn't have animations for akimbo enforcers..

Mr. T

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
Well, I didn't want to sound like I was accusing any of you of being naive. I was arguing my case, because I know you're not naive, and would understand my point. On the other hand I understand yours too. I'm not saying I agree with you totally, but I understand your reasons, and I know you just want what is best for the project. Anyway, thanks for your reply Warren.

Warren

Nov 24, 1999
Portland, OR
www.sentrystudios.com
no worries! everyone has good opinions on this subject, and as always, we unfortunately can't please ya'all. I personally get frustrated when people say doing one thing will always snowball, turning Inf into something totally different. As long as everyone knows we do have reasons for the major things in the game, everything should be kochure /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Warren
Project Coordinator
i n f i l t r a t i o n

Then check out our FAQ.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
As for Mr T's question as to why automatic weapons will not be going akimbo: You cannot fire an automatic weapon with any accuracy in akimbo. I had a hard enough time controlling the burst fire, and I nearly broke my left arm doing it (though it was deadly accurate -- but keep in mind I only fired three rounds, steadied at the hip.)

And addressing something Warren said about politics: I suggest you be very careful in that area, because as some people might decide to switch to another weapon, other people might decide "Forget this, I can get my John Wu/Chow Yun Fat fix from another mod" and go bugger off. Plenty of games do offer that "cinematic" experience (although in inconceivably shoddy ways since cinema has the wonderful realm of stunt doubles and special effects.) That's just the thing that makes me uncomfortable too. I like the cinema feel as much as the next guy, the brutal unreality of it all, but I'm kinda hoping Inf will give me that one fix that I never really had, and that is the professional soldier feel.