Best of E3: Unreal Engine Edition

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Two of the challenges we've faced over the years of covering the Unreal Engine from its very beginnings have been that, first, there are just so damn many games using it. A nice problem to have to be sure but, considering it has evolved from being the solution of a handful of developers to virtually the industry standard middleware, our small elderly staff simply hasn't been able to keep up. Second, unless a developer comes right out and says "yo, we're kicking it Unreal-style" or something else official-like in a press release, you'd have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out which developers are using it.

It is on that note that I point you to the handy Unreal Engine Highlights From E3 feature on the official Unreal Engine website. Devil May Cry? Lollipop Chainsaw? Who knew??

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
^wow :)
Didn't know Lollipop was made with UE3 too, not surprised though since Suda51 also used the engine for Shadow of the Damned.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wait! What!? 1313 is UE powered? They kept prattling on during E3 that it was their own in house (GTTV inverviews). Even more hyped for that game now :)
They were literally full of crap. It was announced as UE3 a month before E3 even happened. It's also using the latest build like the Samaritan demo which is why it looks so freaking good.

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
They were literally full of crap. It was announced as UE3 a month before E3 even happened. It's also using the latest build like the Samaritan demo which is why it looks so freaking good.

I've been hiding under a rock :) Only heard about it a few days before E3. I was blown away (pardon the pun) by how awesome that corridor scene is.

It's definitely UE3. I've seen shots of it running in editor.

Not doubting it. Just VERY happily surprised :)

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Lost Planet 3 looks like a visual downgrade to me. Those guys have seriously no idea how this engine works.

P.S.: The latest Game Of Thrones game is using UE3 too, also Spec Ops: The Line as well, and that action MMO, Tera, which is rpetty darn impressive for the engine, and the list goes on and on and on, then again there are Tribes: Ascend and Blacklight: Retribution of which I don't recall any coverage posted around these parts :p

About 60% of the released TPS-FPS AAA action games are UE3 powered. Joy. Frankly I'm getting sick of the way how the new UE3 games look like basically amateur mods: they sure as hell never read the documentation on using the Material editor. "Yes John, do put in some height fog instead, that will take care of the fine detail for this game."