ut2k4 startup problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jimdav

flak cannon + minigun = FRAGS!!!
Mar 18, 2011
NZ
Right. Well every time I start ut2k4 It loads and eventually does the starting video (the one with the skaarj and spider mine). But If I skip it or wait until the end, it crashes and says:

General protection fault!

History: CheckTag <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (Class MasterServerClient) <- UObject::StaticConstructObject <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (MasterServerClient 81436) <- ULinkerLoad::CreateImport <- IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad<<UObject <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad 1491940)) <- UObjectProperty::Serialize <- (ObjectProperty GUI2K4.Ut2K4Community.MSC) <- LoadObject <- (ObjectProperty GUI2K4.Ut2K4Community.MSC 1491940==1491940/2400421 1491923 17) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- LinkProperties <- UStruct::Link <- UState::Link <- UClass::Link <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class GUI2K4.Ut2K4Community) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class GUI2K4.Ut2K4Community) <- LoadObject <- (Class GUI2K4.Ut2K4Community 1491940==1491940/2400421 255826 322) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class GUI2K4.UT2K4MainMenu NULL) <- UObject::processEvent <- (CinematicPlayer NvidiaLogo.CinematicPlayer, Function UnrealGame.CinematicPlayer.Fire) <- UObject::ScriptConsoleExec <- (CinematicPlayer NvidiaLogo.CinematicPlayer) <- UPlayer::Exec <- UViewport::Exec <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- UInput::ExecInputCommands <- ExecAlias <- UInput::Exec <- UViewport::Exec <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- UInput::ExecInputCommands <- UInput::process <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

does anyone know whats causing this?
btw I have just installed the latest patch.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
A CheckTag crash means one of your package files (.u, .ut3, .utx, .uax, and so on) is corrupted. Try getting the patch from a different source, possibly even the megapack as it also contains the two bonus packs you will most likely need anyway for playing online. If patching fro ma different source doesn't help, you may want to try a clean installation into an empty (!) folder.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
when I try to uninstall it comes up with: uninstaller failed to launch.
But I have been downloading alot of extra content.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
I think I'll just fish out the file. Too bad it didn't say anything about it! The problem started when I installed a few mods. So I know it's one of those.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
I have installed a new patch and now it says something different:

General Protection Fault!

History: CheckTag <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::StaticFindObject <- UObject::CreatePackage <- UObject::ResolveName <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class None.Engine.PlayerController NULL) <- UObject::processEvent <- (GameInfo Entry.GameInfo, Function Engine.GameInfo.Login) <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (Entry) <- FailedURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

It looks like an important file has been deleted or corrupted.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
I have deleted the corrupted file so don't worry, it all works now! thanks for the help.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
As soon as I fix one problem, another arises! Now when I start it up normally it starts loading and then says: Runtime error!

Program :C:\ut2004\system\UT2004.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

I can run it on safe mode but sound must NOT be enabled.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Repatching is reinstalling minus the removal of the INIs and a few other not so important files... So still repatch. Even better, if you can, validate the hash of the download, and then repatch. If this doesn't work, remove your UT2004.ini and User.ini files. And only if that doesn't work, reinstall it.

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
well, I've repatched and now it says: your CD key appears to be invalid.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Restart the PC. That usually helps. If not, recheck the key using the UT2004 regfix.

But UT2004 can be funny like that, it may say that it's invalid even if you reinstall it. But that's another option for you to try if the above doesn't work...

jimdav

Mar 18, 2011
NZ
restarting's a no go. What is the regfix? I take it it's in the system folder or something?