If 2k4 is backwards compatable...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
then, what will keep people from downloading all original 2k3 maps for 2k4? Will there be some form of hardcore programming to lock people out if they don't have the map from 2k3 and they are connecting to a 2k4 server? What if you don't have 2k3 installed anymore!
What if you are on 2k4 server, and all vote for 2k3 map! Will you get booted if you dont have the 2k3 map? I'm confuseed guys help me out. I really cannot afford 3.5gig from 2k4 and the other 5or6 from 2k3 eating up my 12gig harddrive. ( originally 30 but partitioned it).

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
It's backwards compatible in the sense that 2K4 players can log onto 2K3 servers and play, not the other way around. 2K3 players probably won't even see 2K4 servers in the list.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
ChainsawMonkey said:
It's backwards compatible in the sense that 2K4 players can log onto 2K3 servers and play, not the other way around. 2K3 players probably won't even see 2K4 servers in the list.

That's right!

UT2K4 will see ut2K3 servers.

as for the maps? well we'll havta see! That was a Question I asked Mark in one of the IRC chats.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
wow that would be nice if cd's were 2 sided. Wait, they are! cept, nobody makes it to where you can put it in either way like tapes. There are certain cd's like that.. double sided i mean,but people simpley do not use that feature for video games. I suppose because it is too valualble and if it gets scratched, then 2 disks in 1 are ruined.

Kaoh

MP_Clan member
Sep 16, 2000
Holland
www.kaoh.nl
BigFolks said:
wow that would be nice if cd's were 2 sided. Wait, they are! cept, nobody makes it to where you can put it in either way like tapes. There are certain cd's like that.. double sided i mean,but people simpley do not use that feature for video games. I suppose because it is too valualble and if it gets scratched, then 2 disks in 1 are ruined.
Nah if one of your game discs is scratched your ruined anyway, so it doesnt matter that you save one ;)
I think they dont do it because then they cant put labels on them anymore, and that just looks unproffesional ;)

Curve[UK]

Twist Your Perception
May 14, 2001
United Kingdom
www.curvatures.co.uk
ChainsawMonkey said:

You have just got to wonder how long its going to take for that to become meaningless, im sure some group is going to create a hack to deal with that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
well the thing is that 2k4's codebase is incompatible with 2k3 except at some of the lowest levels...and that's only to maintain compatibility with 2k3.

and by that I mean native stuff that you can't mod (at least not very easily).

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Sir_Brizz said:
well the thing is that 2k4's codebase is incompatible with 2k3 except at some of the lowest levels...and that's only to maintain compatibility with 2k3.

and by that I mean native stuff that you can't mod (at least not very easily).

Yup, that's what I was thinking.

It's really simple though. If a server is running 2k4, then you can't join the server while running 2k3. But if you are running 2k4 and want to join a 2k3 server, that would work.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
hmmm, so basically, nothing has been done to 2k4's character properties (height, speed, jumping, or anything of that sort). Unless.... they decided to incorporate any 2k3 properties in it as well as 2k4. I do not know much about modding or effects, or character skinning or changing properties of characters/weapons in the game, but I know enough to partially understand it. 2k3's AR and 2k4's amped AR will be in 2k4. What is to stop a player from having an AR and an Amped AR in their invitory? Worse yet, can you combine these 2 and run around shootin people with them? 2k4 will lose a lot of respect from me if they don't work this around.

Kaoh

MP_Clan member
Sep 16, 2000
Holland
www.kaoh.nl
I am sure the game will use ut2003 settings when conencting to a ut2003 server and ut2004 settings when connecting to a ut2004 server.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
BigFolks said:
hmmm, so basically, nothing has been done to 2k4's character properties (height, speed, jumping, or anything of that sort). Unless.... they decided to incorporate any 2k3 properties in it as well as 2k4. I do not know much about modding or effects, or character skinning or changing properties of characters/weapons in the game, but I know enough to partially understand it. 2k3's AR and 2k4's amped AR will be in 2k4. What is to stop a player from having an AR and an Amped AR in their invitory? Worse yet, can you combine these 2 and run around shootin people with them? 2k4 will lose a lot of respect from me if they don't work this around.
No offence, but you really haven't done your research.

2k3's content will be in 2k4. The only issue here is reverse engineering 2k4 content for 2k3 - let's leave that up to them.
Many properties of 2k4 have been changed since 2k3, including character model size changes. All the differences stated can be applied through mutations. No particular biggie (ie new gun, double guns, model propertiy changes).

So anyway, when you buy 2k4 you'll have 2k3 for free.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Basically, I check the bu news, and or the official site for a demo release notice, and otherwise, I don't read much. Try not to think about it much, and just play 2k3, since it's out now ;)

Why it would be limited is silly to me, but if I miss that there is always newsgroups.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
edhe said:
No offence, but you really haven't done your research.

You guys are my research. Did you forget edhe that the forums are a reliable source of information? I come here because I cannot find EVERYTHING. If you knew better, you'd know I knew alot already about ut2004 but it is impossible to know everything. My whole life doesn't evolve around computers. So let it rest. I think your post would have been 90% better had you left that sentence out and even at that, i still wouldn't have liked your post.

And no offense, but if you type no offense to everything you type, does that make everything you type not offensive to me? I don't like that miracle additive. It just doesn't work with me.

All i'm saying is, think twice before you post, or at least revise it a bit. I dont know why that got me so stirred up but for some odd reason, coming from you, i have no other way of knowing whether you were putting me down or not.

Last edited:

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
I realize 2k4 demo has not been released and the 2k4 has not been on the shelves yet, but most of you people already know something about it. I end up missing every meeting with Mark Rien and miss every new bit of information except for some things. I already know what weapons are in for 2k4 and that they are NOT finished yet. But that still gives me the right to make assumptions and if you guys tell me my assumptions are wrong, then that only HELPS ME. Thanks to those of you who actually understand the meaning of this thread. Sorry i'm such a jerk.

2 games in 1 is what I'm reading.. interesting. :) I can't wait. If only I could manage to get $85 for ma processor, i'd be in good shape, My mamma is workin on that right now. :)

Last edited:

Kaoh

MP_Clan member
Sep 16, 2000
Holland
www.kaoh.nl
BigFolks said:
Sorry i'm such a jerk.
Its the avatar I tell you, its the evil avatar :D

hehe, sorry, but yeah your right, telling someone nicely hes wrong generally works better then starting with an insult.

Yeah the conclusion that it will be 2 games in 1 is the best bet.
If they want to maintain the backwards compatibilty they will have to make sure that things adept depending on the server used.
But since most game relavant settings are dictated to the client by the server I think most settings will rather automaticly be used properly.
I however guess that graphical differences will be there, someone using ut2004 probably sees another 3d model for his gun then the ut2003 player does. But since thats just eye candy I dont think it will matter much.

But we are all doing educated guesses here. No one will know for sure until its available.