ATI vs. Nvidia cards for UT2/Unreal 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rh71

Lurker
Aug 31, 2000
NY
www.rh71.com
It may be a bit early to ask, but I wanted to get opinions...

I know Nvidia has pretty much taken over the video card wars (at least in popularity) and so the programmers are probably coding the UT2/Unreal 2 for the Nvidia chips.

Now I have the opportunity to purchase any ATI video card for 50% off... will I be at a disadvantage with an ATI card (even top of the line) ?

Thx.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
The results differ slightly, depending on what driver version you use and what built of the Unreal engine, but overall the ATI Radeon 8500 is about equal to a regular GF3. The Radeon8500 has even slightly superior hardware, but the GeForce3 compensates that with better drivers.

The GF4 (non-MX) clearly beats both the GF3 and the R8500, but due to the very restricted availability and the resulting prices I guess a GF4 isn't an option anyway.

The Unreal Performance Test 2002 gives you a better idea of the cards performance relative to eachother.

I'd say: If you can get a Radeon 8500 at 50% off, GO FOR IT. It's a very good card hardware-wise and over the months ATI will hopefully optimize the drivers and erase all bugs.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
and remember that the games abusing these new cards aren't coming out tomorrow. So if you can get a high end ATI card for 50% off ( :eek: ) then you should be golden for a while.

Personally I liked playing the new games on lower-than-the best thing out there and then swapping it out later. Makes the appreciation a bit sweeter.

rgx

(oh and double on the GF4 non-MX thing ... see the Geforce3ti200 thread)