UT Game Pauses - PLEASE help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ANGRYMAN74

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
My problem:
Game pauses briefly (2-3 sec) during gameplay both online and in signle player every 5-6 minutes.

My (new) system:
-ASUS P4B MB
-P4 1.7 gig
-ASUS GeForce 3 Ti200 64m
-SB Audigy Gamer
-512 meg DDR
-DSL connection

What I've already done:
-reinstall UT - currently v436
-no other programs running in background (Findfast, Virus check, etc.)
-reinstall directX 8.1
-reinstalled detenator drivers - currently runing v23.11
-different combos of settings - details, sound, etc.
-adjusting virtual mem - currently running min/max 400
-running both opengl and d3d - currently running d3d
-adjusted *.ini files - current cache at 12
-enabled DMA support for CD Rom (but i play with no-cd patch)
-played with and without AA - currently enable at 2x

Please can someone help me with this!? I've done the research on this and other message boards and I'm running out of ideas - I am a die hard UT fan and this is killing me.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Hey ANGRYMAN74, and welcome fo Beyond Unreal Forums.
I can't give an straight answer to your question but I have seen this question before.
If no one here can give you an answer, do a search in this and the Troubleshooting forum.
Hopefully you find an answer somewhere.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
im sure i saw this the the troubleshooting forum, or im going sane :con:

corrupt/mis-installed IDE drivers will cause stuttering ever 1.5 minutes in UT, about 2 second pauses. check in device manager for your 3 ide channels (master bus, primary and secondary should be there.) if theres a ! mark then that would be the problem.

ANGRYMAN74

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
Thanks guys - My device manager shows "all clear" for all devices including IDE drivers.

I also just tried to edit my system.ini file under vcache to include minfile and maxfile cache settings to no avail. I also included a chunksize of 512, again nothing.

I have also filtered through this (and other threads) for the same problem, I found a few tips, but again, nothing has fixed it.

One last thing, I also play Red Faction, Empire Earth, SW GB, MOH and RTCW and there are no pauses - just in UT.

Man . . .

Degroij

Jan 8, 2001
Denmark
Visit site
dunno but I heard of some problm with dx8.1 and ut :|

try disable Fastwrites and Vsync

it u wanne do some nasty tweak on ur GeForce dl Nvidia BIOS Editor v1.00b from here

Open the prog select "Current/read and save" then "Current/read and open" now u are able to tweak it.. when u have tweak it then chose "Save Bios".
But be carefull cos u can kill ur GeForce if u tweak it to much.

Now u need to flash the image u just saved, dl Nvflash.exe use the commando nvflash –f ”biosimage navn” it will take some time to falsh it but dont turn off the power cos that can kill ur GeForce to :|

goodluck but be carefull :)

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
I've got a fiver riding on the fact that ur using win98/ME - rite?

Try win2k or winxp. I've read about this several places and it always seems to include a gf3 and win98/me and recent detonators. U have to go all the way back to 12.xx drivers to cure the problem by changing drivers. Can't be long until nvidia fixes this in new drivers tho.

Btw, fastwrites are turned off per default for gf3 in nvidias det4 drivers - it doesn't give u any performance increase, as it doesn't go well with the memory architecture on these cards (forgot the fancy marketing word for it) and would only contribute with extra instability when overclocking.

ANGRYMAN74

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
Gentlemen - I truly appreciate the time that you took to answer my query. I am a little hesitant to mes with my video card BIOS - I am not that saavy. But, I may do it as a last ditch effort.

Yes, I am using windows ME. It's always been stable and reliable for me hiterto, so again I am reluctant to upgrade. I know that I will bite the bullet at some point though.

I did read in another forum that the v22.80 Detonator drivers may work better for me, so I am seeking them out and will report back here to let you know the status.

Again - thanks.

ANGRYMAN74

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
Well - FYI I reinstalled the game fresh and stuck with the 23.11v detonator drivers and everything seems to be working. I am running opengl at 1024x768 with everything set to high and I am averaging over 100f/s.

Now, if someone can tell me how to brighten the screen without touching the monitor settings, I'd be perfect! The in game brightness adjuster ins't responding, and there is no opnegl brightness variable in the unrealtounament.ini file under opengl.

Shheeshh . . . It's always something.

Degroij

Jan 8, 2001
Denmark
Visit site
Originally posted by ANGRYMAN74

Now, if someone can tell me how to brighten the screen without touching the monitor settings, I'd be perfect! The in game brightness adjuster ins't responding, and there is no opnegl brightness variable in the unrealtounament.ini file under opengl.

Shheeshh . . . It's always something.

go here
select files -> Unreal Tournament and pick oglSystem.zip, unzip it to ur Unrealtournament/system dir ect :)

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
Dunno if this has been mentioned before:

make sure none of your important devices (sound / video / modem / whatever) are sharing an IRQ. There have been several threads in the trouble shhoting section in the past where problems like these were caused by shared IRQs.

GL getting things to work. :)

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Originally posted by ANGRYMAN74
Gentlemen - I truly appreciate the time that you took to answer my query. I am a little hesitant to mes with my video card BIOS - I am not that saavy. But, I may do it as a last ditch effort.

Yes, I am using windows ME. It's always been stable and reliable for me hiterto, so again I am reluctant to upgrade. I know that I will bite the bullet at some point though.

I did read in another forum that the v22.80 Detonator drivers may work better for me, so I am seeking them out and will report back here to let you know the status.

Again - thanks.

I just recently had the same problem. I thought it was my DSL lagging online. I played practice mode and it happened a few more times. I had the 23.11's loaded and remember reading how they can do just that in 3D Games on some forum. I uninstalled them and put the Herc 2181's back in and haven't had a Stutter/Freeze since then. Get rid of the 23.11's...

I know for sure that if it happens just online its your Ethernet Card Conf. Read This
Stalls and freezes (#156) (back)
If you are getting stalls when using your PC Before your new ADSL line has been activated, your new internal ADSL card could be attempting to talk to the network (which is not yet configured for you), and while it does this, your PC may freeze. The solution is to remove the drivers for the card and/or the card itself, until the ADSL line is activated by the Telco, then re-install from scratch.

If your PC is freezing regularly, and you are on PPPoE, your computer may be looking around for a DHCP server that does not exist. Check the following: (windows)

Open control panel

Open Network

For Windows 2000/XP, instead do Start, Settings, Network and Dial-Up Connections, and then go into the Properties for your Local Area Connection

Look for the first entry in the scroll box marked TCP/IP, that is associated with a hardware ethernet card (ignore dialup, AOL and VPN type bindings).

Select it and press properties

Select IP address from the tab

Is Obtain IP address automatically checked? if so, change that to Define IP address and enter 192.168.1.10, and 255.255.255.0, into IP address and subnet mask fields respectively.
This assignment of a harmless local IP address to the TCP/IP settings bound (connected) to your network adapter, will stop the in-built DHCP services from waking up every 10 minutes to look for a DHCP server so that it can "fill in the blanks".