My UpGrade Problem ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NikonStudios

Cpt. Lord Nikon
Aug 30, 2001
Belgium
users.pandora.be
I'm i need of a new procesor but what is best ?

AMD Ahtlon 1800 XP or Intel Pentium 4 1800 (2000) ?

What is the best for 3D3 Games ? need your help on this !!

i allso in need of a mainbord and rams so coment on that to please.

Thanks Folks !!

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
Hmm, lets see.

I just upgraded my Dad's PC after his Mobo packed up.

Finally decided on:

Athlon XP 1700
(loads cheaper than the P4's and above 1700XP, the AMD prices rise a bit more sharply)

EPoX EP-8KHA+ Mobo
(Not as good as the ABIT KR7A, but cheaper and still had good reviews. Also had integrated sound which I wanted to get by with until we had enough cash for a SB Audigy)

256Mb DDR ram.

Oh and an Abit Siluro 64 Mb GF2 MX-400 gfx card.
(He wanted something mainstream, reliable, cheap and not outdated)

Total cost £350.

I'm not sure where you are, but as I understand it hardware is a lot cheaper in the US - so you'll need to price it up for yourself depending where you are.

I prefer AMD over Intel right now because you get a lot more performance for your money. For AMD Mobo's there's a reasonable review of DDR boards here:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1578

Happy shopping!

Last edited:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
If you have the skill to do it yourself =>

www.padeg.com

One of the cheapest I know in Belgium.

For technical research: www.tomshardware.com

Go to amd, cheaper and quicker. I only know one backdraw: noisy because of the huge fan needed to cool the processor.

For the mobo, go for something like MSI K7T266Pro2 Raid USB2 or without the Raid USB2 and at least 256 Mb of DDRam.

I've built a full computer for the godchild of my gf last month with the material available @Padeg: a 1800+XP, 256 DDR, GeForce3 and a 19" Philips monitor for +/- 1.730 € (+case, soundcard, etc,...).

NikonStudios

Cpt. Lord Nikon
Aug 30, 2001
Belgium
users.pandora.be
Mmm ok Athlon will it be ;) Thanks Guys

Target PC

Ahtlon XP 1800
512 MB DDR
ABIT KT7 Raid
SB Audigy (Allready in the current PC)
GF 3 ti 500 (Allready in the current PC)
And a 40GB at 7200 RPM (curent HD at 5400 RPM)

(Current Prize: 715 €)

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
IIRC: If you want to profit the full speed of your HD 7200, you will have to remove your 5400 one. Otherwise, your fastest drive will work at the same speed of the 5400.

Also, look out for your power. Athlon and his fan is a watt consuming processor. Just check you will have enough or change your case also.

P.S.: where are you going to buy it ?

You don't necessarily need to remove the drive. However each IDE port can only run at one speed, ex. Ultra-DMA-100 or UDMA-66, etc. If you have an older hard drive it probably can run at most with UDMA-33, which is a bit slower than UDMA-100 (this is only the maximum speed BTW). So it would be better to have the new hard drive on the primary IDE port, and the old hard drive on the second.

peachz

BANNED
Sep 7, 2001
Mmmm... zen....
Thanks Woffen.

I'm thinking of a Tyan or Asus dual processor mobo w/ 2 Athlon MP 1.1 ghz. Recommended? (Think of the power... 2.2 ghz.... MUHAHAHAAAA*ahem*)

:)

Destructo6

Jan 11, 2002
Visit site
I went with:

Soyo Dragaon Plus MB (on-board sound, Ethernet, 6USB, smart card reader, and a bunch of other crap)
Athlon XP 1700+
512MB DDR
GF3 Ti 200
Maxtor 60Gb HD@ 7200

Seems to be pretty nice, so far.

peachz

BANNED
Sep 7, 2001
Mmmm... zen....
Here's some fun comparison specs:

Current system -

PII 300 Mhz
128 MB SDRAM
Voodoo3 2000 PCI
15.4" Philips Moniter (It... burns....)
A3D 8-channel

Projected System -

AMD Athlon 1.7 ghz
512 MB DDR RAM
geFarce3 ti500 Deluxe
17" Moniter (Relief...)

etc, etc.

Have all of the money and account now, just need to wait until I'm 18 to spend it all. Damn parents. Always talking like they've lived 20 years longer than me or something. :rolleyes: Sheesh.