mesh appears black

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
Hello guys,
When I export from 3DS Max as an *.ase file into UT2004 Editor (As a static mesh), my MESH APPEARS BLACK? I've tried many options: exporting with 'materials' unchecked, adding a material and exporting and just exporting without adding a material. The mesh always appears BLACK! But I got these errors:

ASE Importer: Did you forget to import geometry and materials in the export?

For my other exports when I added a material THIS POPS UP -- Why??
Tried googling - no help or results.
I followed a tutorial step-by-step but it appears black! By the way i'm using 3d max 2009.
Can you please help me out! Thanks!

Edit: Whoops I posted in the wrong place. Could somebody move it to the right place?

Last edited:

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
Probably - but I tried placing the Material on the object and worked perfectly but when it goes on UED, it turns black. Even with lighting.

Gruntkiller4000

Jul 11, 2011
Oh I will try getting 3ds Max 2010 and upgrading it from 3ds Max 2009. Tutorials I've seen are based on 3DS Max 2010 so I might as well upgrade it. See what happens.