Releasing Source - Security?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I was intending to release all the source for the mod I'm working on to kinda kick a little back to the community. Considering that I've learned a lot from samples and tutorials online, it seems the just thing to do.

Are there any security concerns with this? It's a network-enabled mod, and I certainly don't want to benefit the cheaters. I'm completely unfamiliar with UT security and cheating issues.

rgx :sniper:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Captain Kewl
The only way cheaters can benefit from the sources of your mod is if it's a cheating mod. :)

hehehe - that's kinda what I was hoping to hear...

Are there security issues I should know about though? I've seen a few of the "major" mods release fixes for certain exploits or cheats...are these just bugs that effect gameplay? (like CS bunnyhopping, etc)

rgx

Captain Kewl

I know kewl.
Feb 13, 2001
IN YOUR HOUSE
Visit site
Exploits and cheats in mods are usually just products of bugs in the mods themselves. Having the source to say, Infiltration, might tell me how the Robar works, but it's not going to give me better aim.

Network games only work between users who are using the *exact* packages as dictated by the server the users are connecting to. Packages themselves are unique even between compilations. So while someone may be inspired to add autoaim into a mod and recompile it back into the complete product, he'll probably not have much luck actually using it in a netgame as he won't be able to play against anyone else.