Infiltration and StrikeForce

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
A

AgentSmith

From what I've heard of strikeforce it seems to be a cheap imitation of infiltration.. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

A

AgentSmith

I just checked their site and I like their idea of Jailbreak.. and their various game-types.. but other than that it sounds like StrikeForce won't compare with Infiltration..

AND:
Wouldn't it be cool if their were civilians and hostages just running around the level, and you could like rescue them or something, and then put them in a cell and keep them safe.. OR have them help you, which brings me to the question: Will there be any sort of "trading-system".. so like if bob has a rifle you want but you couldn't get it.. you can trade him ammo or guns in exchange..

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/modcentral/cgi/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&Use rName=AgentSmith

[This message has been edited by AgentSmith (edited 01-12-2000).]

T

ThrasherX9

BAH! Strike Force will be much better, not saying infl. wont be good, just saying it will be better. if you cant see that your BLIND! /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum.-Duke Nukem

W

Warren

If say you and your buddy always play together and he likes to be the heavy duty support soldier toting around the M249, and you'd like to maybe act as a sniper in conjunction with him, you can carry some ammo too, then once the game starts, just toss the ammo onto the ground and your buddy can easily pick it up assuming his weight will allow. Just make sure you're not in a position where you may have to fall back quickly. Defending a base would be a good use of this example. So yes, you sure could.

All the little extras like civilians and whatnot running around a village or town would be a lot of extra work that you prob won't see in version 3. That kind of detail will have to wait for future versions.

Strikeforce has labeled themselves as a full-fledged TC, and they have twice the amount of team members as we do-- we don't want that many people-- so they may end up with tons more content than we will, but we're certainly aiming for quality..

S

ShakKen

I know one of the SF modelers: Raven.

The Strike Force guys are doing their mod just for fun really. As for they're calling themselves "The greatest UT mod ever" will be seen when the fat lady sings^_^

D

disturbed

Thrasher, you must be blind for saying something like that. Infiltration has its weaknesses, but so does Strike Force. For one thing Infiltration has better looking weapon models. It is also much more intricate as far as physics and realism are concerned.

Strike Force will have some really kickass levels (which I look forward to porting to Infiltration /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif ) because they snagged DarkAngel and some real good textures. So far the maps situation is Infiltration's biggest weakness but according to Warren and Billdog that shouldn't be a problem when INF 3 arrives.

One thing I think that the Infiltration team (and third party INF evangelists) should start doing is starting Infiltration servers and trying to get others to do so. My first target is www.guerro.com and their Compaq ProLiant w/OC-3 connection. In the long run the biggest issue as to which mod earns the popularity contest will most certainly be quantity of maps and servers.

I've done my share of INF evangelism. For the past two months the only news on the Unreal section of my site was INF news and a few announcements about UT. I also started doing Infiltration map reviews, wrote an article that gives rookie INF mapmakers a good head start, and provided a resources page. Now all I need is some big Unreal site to p1mp mine and we will all be in good shape.

By the way, if anyone wants to contribute some articles or reviews to my site, feel free to send them to rc@gamersreality.com /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

------------------
Jon Merriman
The Research Center
http://rc.gamersreality.com/

W

Wanderer

All of you should know that any mod with some fun maps and fun gameplay can go real far. Ever play Action Quake 2 when it was real new and the sawed-off looked like 2 soup cans? Then you know what I mean /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm working on some stuff for Infiltration, map-wise but considering I'm not doing much anybody who's willing to provide feedback from beginning to end on a map of their design is welcome to get a hold of me.

M

MrTicky

:p What's Strike Force and where's the Strike Force website? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif :|)

------------------
_-={MrTicky}=-_

I

INF_Neo

It's behind the seven hills of the velvet dwarfs. Go and find the rainbow with the toilet at the end and flush it. A magic unicorn will take you with him in it's truck.

------------------
- HEAR MY SOUNDS -
I N F I L T R A T I O N
SOUND ENGINEER

A

AgentSmith

QUAKE???? Why talk about quake when there are such better games out like UT and Half-Life..
and such good total conversions like INF??
Quake is fading away.. it's only a matter of time before it is consumed by other 3d shooters which have the awesome 3d engines and graphics..

X

XSenergy

Action Quake2 was the most fun I've ever had in a game. We play it at every lanparty almost. It's not meant for super realism, it's like a fun game with rules. In deathmatch, everyone starts off with 1 pistol, 1 knife. You can hold only 1 special weapon like an Mp5 or a sniper rifle. There were only like 7 weapons total, but they were some of the most balanced I have seen. That was the first time the headshot was introduced. One in the head and your dead. If you get shot, you start to bleed and lose life slowly. You hit the bandage button to stop the bleeding but it takes about 10 seconds making you vulnerable to getting shot(you can't shoot while bandaging). If you fall a certain distance like about 10 game feet or farther, you break your legs and walk like shit. You can also walk like shit if you get shot in the legs. You can hold 1 special item that can only work with certain special guns. The laser sight will work with an mp5, but not with the shotgun. I suggest anyone who fell upon my post that hasn't played AQ2 "lucky" and goto http://aq2.action-web.net

Action halflife isn't near as good though /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T

ThrasherX9

SF weapons not looking as realistic, HA! they look really realistic, no more nor less then infiltration's models. Im not saying i wont like infl.(although i might not like it, but iam looking foward to it) i just think SF has more going for it when you compare the 2, like someone said, they have more team members, great mapers and 3d modelers ect... (they got pretty lucky) all in all, it will end up being a better mod/TC. But then again you really cant compare, becuase this is a MOD while SF is a TC

you be the judge...
P.S. the site is... www.planetunreal.com/strikeforce

------------------
Time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum.-Duke Nukem

A

AgentSmith

I'm just saying.. from my experiences with Quake, it doesn't have the gameplay and/or graphics to compete in the future 3d shooter class.

D

Darkliege

Thrasher, go to hell. Just leave. Its people like you that get mod groups discouraged and break-up. I'm not saying that they will because of you, but this is a support and constructive critism forum, so if you're going to act this way, just leave and hangout at the SF forum all day.

(And since you realize you cant compare to two, becuase one is a TC and one is a mod, then you should stop!)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

PS this wasn't a response to your last post, but the general attitude of all your posts.

------------------
"What's your major malfunction numbnuts!
Didn't Mommy or Daddy hold you enough when you were a child?!"
*Blam* -FMJ

[This message has been edited by Darkliege (edited 01-15-2000).]

D

disturbed

Warren, if you haven't already, please remove Thrasher's account. He hasn't offered one bit of constructive anything in all the posts I have read by him.

A

AgentSmith

DOWN WITH THRASER! DOWN WITH THRASHER!! DOWN WITH THRASHER!!

PS: Hey Disturbed.. whaddya say we kick his a** in INF when it comes out first /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

P

profit

I would think that this is where a 'community' of higher class and so on would accept any opinion as that of whom posted it.

In this case I see little point to his posts and question Thrasher's motives but reserve judgement.

My opinions on the strikeforce matter...

We haven't seen anything except some map and low res weapon shots.

They have yet to relase anything playable.

They appear to be going for more of a "Japanamation" look rather than realism.

The story line of Y2K is rather humorous in hindsight.

I think they are very different and targeted at different audiances. Correct me if I'm wrong... but people like Gryphon, Repairman Jack and (if I dare put myself alongside those names) myself will play the most realistic mod available, which for all intents and purposes... appears to be INF.

I really don't think that any more topics need be posted on the issue... its all been said...

[This message has been edited by profit (edited 01-15-2000).]

D

Darkliege

I don't want to kick Thasher off the forums, I just don't want putting Inf down and everything that they have worked on. I just want him to say something that can help Inf.

I too, look forward to see what Strike Force will be like, but I'm not going to post stuff that intentionally makes people angry. I said in the beginning of this whole SF thing that it will be good to have competition, it makes you work that much harder in creating a complete and quality product. But in my mind, I keep the to seperate, as I see they can not coexist on the same forum.

We shouldn't worry about how SF is progressing, at least not on this forum.

I just wanted to clear this up before stuff hets too out of hand.

------------------
"What's your major malfunction numbnuts!
Didn't Mommy or Daddy hold you enough when you were a child?!"
*Blam* -FMJ