Americas Army, Unreal Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sn4tcH

Big Boss
Dec 13, 2004
www.freewebs.com
So, I'm d/ling AA right now, and I noticed in the change log that it is now using UE 2.5. Now maybe this is stupid and been asked a billion times, but is 2K4 ever gonna use UE 2.5?

I hope so, it's looks purty. lol

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
No, that's never been asked before. Congrats. I thought 2.5 was the Xbox version of the engine...

How, pray tell, are they supposed to magically transfer the game from one engine to the next? And really, what's the point? Unreal 2 uses an earlier build of the engine than the one UT2004 uses and it looks better.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
T2A, there really was no reason for you reply with such a wise-ass post. The guy asked a question, no harm done. If maybe you (and he) did a search beforehand, you might have realized that UT2K4 is based in the Unreal 2.5 engine.

Sn4tcH

Big Boss
Dec 13, 2004
www.freewebs.com
How, pray tell, are they supposed to magically transfer the game from one engine to the next? And really, what's the point? Unreal 2 uses an earlier build of the engine than the one UT2004 uses and it looks better.

Well i dunno, ask the guys who made Americas Army, they're switching engines...

So why are they making a big deal out of switching to 2.5?

Last edited:

NegativeTrend

Mr. T Says, "Que?"
DaBeatard said:
T2A, there really was no reason for you reply with such a wise-ass post. The guy asked a question, no harm done. If maybe you (and he) did a search beforehand, you might have realized that UT2K4 is based in the Unreal 2.5 engine.
That would have taken away from his fun pro flaming attitude though. :(

Sn4tcH

Big Boss
Dec 13, 2004
www.freewebs.com
Angel_Mapper said:
They're switching to UE3, not 2.5.

More Features
Updated Game Engine:
The entire America's Army game is now running on an updated version of the Unreal Engine - Unreal Engine 2.5. This updated engine code base provides several enhancements to the game engine in several areas including efficiency (optimizations), security, stability, bug fixes, new gameplay feature infrastructure, etc.

This is from 2.4s changlist. I knew they plan on going to UE3, I was talking about the new version that came out today.

Sn4tcH

Big Boss
Dec 13, 2004
www.freewebs.com
m&ms said:
They're making a big deal out of it because previously the game ran on the 2k3 engine, UE2. (I'm pretty sure)

Ah! I see now. Sometimes I forget 2K3 even existed. XD

So, yeah, I can see now why they made a big deal. Too bad that can't make on 2.X, now that is beautiful...

And I can't wait till UE3... mmmm....

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Sn4tcH said:
More Features
Updated Game Engine:
The entire America's Army game is now running on an updated version of the Unreal Engine - Unreal Engine 2.5. This updated engine code base provides several enhancements to the game engine in several areas including efficiency (optimizations), security, stability, bug fixes, new gameplay feature infrastructure, etc.

This is from 2.4s changlist. I knew they plan on going to UE3, I was talking about the new version that came out today.
Ah. That's not such a big deal then. :B