In game IM client mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Axionysus

Don't Call Us, We Won't Call You :)
Sep 6, 2004
DNS #5
flakmonkey.t35.com
I'm relatively new to modding and mutators but I have an ambitious idea for a project that will combine an Instant message environment that supports mulitiple clients including- AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC or at the very least AIM with UT2K4's HUD as a HUD mutator (interaction). I think I'll change the texture files that the program (trillian) uses into .utx's and then write a small script that causes the final graphics product to be called to the game's screen with the press of a designated key. However I'm wondering how I can allow a script that lives in UT and is written in UnrealScript to utilize the actual messaging features (dll.s, buddy list, ignore/block list, log files, etc.). Is it possible to create some type of function that loads all of Trillian's files (dll, xml, dtd, and txt are the main ones I believe) from the client's computer into Unreal and allows the mutator to access them accordingly? Or do I have to somehow create a series of new classes like UT2004's IRC classes used for in game chat that give my mutator IM client functionality.... does anyone have any ideas, links, advice etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
That's pretty ambitious...I wouldn't think IRC would be too big a problem seeing as that's already functional on the browser but as for the IM programs....Well you would have to look up technical information on those programs and then probably use the InternetInfo classes (UDPLink/TCPLink) in IpDrv.u to communicate between programs.

I would think it'd be a lot of work.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Probrably the easiest way I can see would be to use the UnrealEngine Runtime. You can get the C++ headers for the Runtime, and use that to interface to Trillian. Then, you can interface between your UT2k4 mutator and the Runtime via the UDPLink.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I think it's easier to write a plugin for trillian and makes it easier to communicate to it from within the engine via a TCPLink.

I doubt you'll get the access to the headers for the runtime for somethin like this.

Axionysus

Don't Call Us, We Won't Call You :)
Sep 6, 2004
DNS #5
flakmonkey.t35.com
FONT=Arial]thanks for the advice, looks like i've got some research to do, I need to look at my C++ book and find some code libraries for IM clients. Does anyone have any links to tips/tuts for writing code to be used (preferably speciifc to UnrealScript) that interacts with other languages and programs?[/FONT]