Multiplayer lockups online and sound loops

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hannibal_L

Mar 12, 2001
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems with UT. The odd and annoying thing is that it only happens in UT multiplayer and not in any other game I have either offline or on(quake 3 etc), even Deus Ex multiplayer which uses the same engine does not lockup. It is a UT specific problem. I am quite skilled when it comes to computers and have built the current one I am using but cannot solve it.
Specs:
TBird 800
128 mb ram
KT7-Raid( 4in1's v 4.29)
ATI-Radeon(absolute latest drivers)
SB Live
Quantum Fireball 8gb
Maxtor Diamond 40gb
300w ps

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
me too

You're not alone buddy ;). There are LOTS of other people who have the same problem, with systems ranging from low spec PII-300 all the way to 1.2 gig system. One thing they have in common is that most (if not all) are using via chipset mobo.

I suggest you upgrade your 4-in-1 driver to ver 425. If you still get lockups, re-install the 4-in-1 again, but during the installation, set the AGP Driver to Standard Mode (Default is Turbo Mode). The standard mode is more stable than the turbo, but its slightly slower.

That's what I use right now. I still get lockups, but only once a while, and certainly not as frequent as before.

Well, hope this helps. :)

p.s. just in case your in the mood for a lil' reading, here's some threads on online-only lockups.

freeze crash?!
http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31451
UT Nightmare
http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32067
How to Stop Ut From Freezing Online & Offline
http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33389
Still freezing and crashing ...
http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33909

SuRGV

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
I had the same problem. I think it's SB Live which is also on my system. Disabling both "Use Hardware 3D Sound" and "Use Surround Sound" solved my problem. It's bad but I had to do it. Sound quality is still quite good.
try it.
Trung

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
As last resort play the game in software mode...that's what I do...that was the only thing that let me play online in piece atleast.

Hannibal_L

Mar 12, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am using 4in1's ver 4.29 at the moment. What I would really like to know is where the problem actually lies. Logic tells me that it must be an Unreal Tournament fault as I have said all my other games are fine. Now I have seen posts where other people are describing similar problems but the important difference being that it happens in all of their games while only in UT for me, so I suppose I will just have to wait to see if Epic will ever fix it.

hobart_paving

May 30, 2000
Visit site
from my experience, the sb live is the biggest cause of problems for most things. try taking the card out and removing the drivers and see what happens. play ut without sound for a while and see if the lockups happen. things to try are the things people mentioned above(disabling 3d sound, etc) as well as trying to move your sblive to a different pci slot.

Samiam

Jan 25, 2001
Visit site
ive been using the same system for over a year.. It has sb live.. but, i didnt start getting my pauses during UT online, until i installed direct x 8a

Dormslut

Sep 29, 2000
Visit site
No don't "upgrade" to 4.25.....You should be ok with the latest drivers which are what you got. I have that exact same motherboard, and while I am not going to sit here and call it a piece of shiz, I will tell you it's really hard to get that via chipset to run stable. Which is funny cuz the box says stability on it but that's beside the point :) GO HERE: http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm If you don't find the answer's you are looking for go into their forum. A lot of nice people in there to help you out with your problem. I would reccomend moving your Soundblaster card to another pci slot. I have mine in 4. IRQ thing they will explain it on this site. SB has compatibility issues with the KT7 line. That's the first thing. Also do you have adequate power/cooling? Power supply should be at least 300, and even those are known to suck with these boards. As for cooling if you have the VIA hardware monitor, or something similar, see what temperature your cpu is running at while playing UT windowed. Heat can cause lockups too. It's going to take some trial and error to get it to run stable, but once you do, you'll be happy :)

Hannibal_L

Mar 12, 2001
Visit site
Again thank you for the replies, but as I did state it only happens in UT and in no other game e.g Colin Mc Rae, Quake 3, Hitman, Deus Ex...... All run perfectly.
Cpu temp idle is 29 degrees
with load is 34-38
System temp idle is 23 degrees
with load is 27 degrees
Overall system is super stable, can run 3D Mark looping while downloading files for as long as I want , watch DVD's while downloading etc.

rh71

Lurker
Aug 31, 2000
NY
www.rh71.com
Same problem here... only UT freezes, but I don't play other FPS games. Anyway, it would only freeze for about 5 seconds, then come back to live action, all caught up. Within those 5 seconds, it would have a looping sound, but it always comes back to the live action, nothing ever crashes. And it only happens once per UT session (once a night early on) even though I play 5-10 games a night.

I never had this until about 2 weeks ago, but I don't believe I changed anything in more than a month...

1GHz T-bird
SB Live
Via 4-in-1 v4.25

I may just re-install UT to see if it fixes the problem... cause I don't have many things installed with it besides the 4.36 no-delta patch. I'll keep you guys posted.

reefHawg

Mar 30, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Reinstall didn't help

I thought the problem may have been ME. So I reinstalled the entire OS. Back to 98R2, UT installed with all the patches and ,... lockup! Sound loop etc.
I have a sound blast live too! I'll be trying some the suggestions on this site like disabling Hardware 3d
Geoff

rh71

Lurker
Aug 31, 2000
NY
www.rh71.com
I never did get around to reinstalling the OS to see if it fixes the problem. Everytime it locksup/loops for 3-5 seconds, it's apparently resuming right where I left off, as if I disappeared from the game (or looked like I was floating away into a wall) for those few seconds. I guess that's good for me since I won't get killed during those 3-5 seconds. It still happens only once per UT session, no matter how many or few games I play.

Domino888

Jul 31, 2000
Rochester,NY
Visit site
the sound card, believe me

I saw a hundred ppl using SBlive or Vortex2 sound card with
radeon have lockup problems in UT.
Actually I am one of them. I got it fixed by installing
the latest driver for my MX300.
search the forum in www.rage3d.com