UT3 CTF-Stratus Released [PC][V1.2]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hello Everyone

Welcome to my thread where I have released my 3rd UT3 level called CTF-Stratus.
stratussig.png

Download (PC) (V1.2 FINAL)
BU FIREWORKS

The level is a combination of many things which I find fun in a CTF Level. I feel that I have met that Goal.
See this Thread for an overview of what I set out to create and also follow the making of this map from the beginning.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=626674

I know many of you have been waiting some time for this, I was initially working casually on this one unlike my other two levels, this plus allot of layout testing I did added to the time. I hope the wait was worth it.

Thanks Everyone. Details Below:

Name: Stratus = The lowest clouds, generally found below 3000 metres altitude and often appearing as an overcast deck. Can also be found as scattered patches. Individual cloud elements have very ill-defined edges.

Stratus is comes from the Latin word for "layer."
Stratus was also derived from the word stratosphere as the level takes place high above the planet (not as high as you may think though )

Description: Welcome to planet Stratus a once uninhabitable hot rock. This facility and many other have been reducing the hostile atmosphere of the planet, generating seas and breathable air. However not all stations are functional causing a dramatic increase in the planets temperatures. This processing station is now used in the tournament as it has not been fully operating for years, with flooding on the lower levels of this stratus facility, once you reach the top, there is only one way down.

Features/Design:
The map was designed with the hope of creating a visually “new” theme with the existing epic made meshes, this was a very difficult combination to work with.
The level has almost 3 levels which add some unique Z axis fun in comparison to current CTF levels.
This map has powerups that are on a timer which spawns when the team’s flag has been in the base stand 60 seconds.

This adds a new dynamic to the way the map is played and opens up new ways the player would normally play the map.

The player can now time the capture, choosing weather or not to risk taking these powerups at the cost of possibly making the flag run harder for the flag carrier.

Elevators also indicate the floor level.

Credits: Me for the original design, There are some new Monitor textures(alpha's) and edited Materials, Epic for their meshes and Materials.

Thanks to Firefly and Sjosz for pickup placement advice, Firefly again for finding a collision bug. Stevelois for helping me stay positive and for his suggestions and lengthy feedback, and everyone else who gave me some support thought the levels development, I hope you enjoyed your beta.
I still have to say a big thanks to DG Unreal for what you taught me while working on Dreary.

Code:
A Level for UT3

-----------------------------------------------------
General Info

Title: CTF-Stratus

Filename: CTF-Stratus_1_2.zip

Author: Bryan Sparksman

Email Address: sparky_1309 at Hotmail

Release Date: 11/5/2009

Version: 1.2

Credits:

Me for the original design, There are some new Monitor textures (alpha's) and edited Materials, Epic for their meshes and Materials.

Thanks to Firefly and Sjosz for pickup placement advice, Firefly again for finding a collision bug. Stevelois for helping me stay positive and for his suggestions and lengthy feedback, and everyone else who gave me some support thought the levels development, I hope you enjoyed your beta.
I still have to say a big thanks to DG Unreal for what you taught me while working on Dreary.

Other Levels from Author:
CTF-Safeguard3
CTF-Dreary3

Author's Notes

I designed this level with the aim of producing a unique look consistent with the look and feel of retail UT3 levels using retail meshes. 
I also wanted to create a CTF level with a Unique Z axis feel. I wanted to bring the level alive with allot of moving parts and sounds.

This map, as with my previous levels had each room created in a separate UT3 file and was all pieced together once final. The map has over 18300 assets.

Map Features:
This map has powerups that are on a timer which spawns when the teams flag has been in the base for a fixed length of time, rewording the team who defends well, each base is equal. 
This adds a new dynamic to the way the player would normally play the map. The player can now time the capture, choosing weather or not to risk taking these powerups at the cost of possibly making the flag run harder for the flag carrier.
UTUnlimited Explains this Feature Further at this link: http://utunlimited.beyondunreal.com/?page_id=4501#awp::?page_id=4501
Elevators in the map indicate the floor level.
Custom Sun Flare with Refractions.

Changes In version 1.1:
-Reduced Underwater PPU DOF
-Increased Fog Distance

Changes In version 1.2:
-Fixed Missaligned Light Cones
-Fixed Team Monitor being Inverted
-Fixed collision in several areas
-Fixed visible Lightmap seams on some meshes
-Reduced Lightmap resolution on some meshes
-Adjusted BSP outside & besides the sniper room to improve lightmaps.

Installation

Unzip CTF-Stratus_1_2.zip

Move all files into C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

If the directory does not exist, create it manually.

Copyright / Permissions

This level is copyright 2008, by Bryan Sparksman.

Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the original author.

ANY bug fixes, fixes, changes, and tweaks may only be implemented by the author. No other person or party is allowed to release a modified version of this map without the author's permission. Please Email me regarding any changes you require.

You MAY NOT charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic media (internet (web/ftp), FIDO, local BBS, Magazine cover disk etc.), provided you include this file.

All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

*Pictures are all taken from Beta with UT3 Post processing setting set to Intense.
strat2.jpg

strat1.jpg

strat7.jpg

strat6.jpg

strat5.jpg

strat4.jpg

strat3.jpg

strat10.jpg

Please leave a comment :)

Thanks Everyone

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
[SCREENSHOT]http://cr4zyb4st4rd.youtea.de/Serious_Face.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Finally it's done, ya? :D Screens looking amazing and the corridors are very detailed. Sure the steam-corridor-factory style has been seen 1000 times before but yours is definitely special and worth to download. From the screens it looks like a stock map (even better).

Further I really like the way you start your work. Always with feedback from the community. This is the way a map should be build up. Really, Epic should hire you for your effort!

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Aside from a few small culldistance popping issues, the ridiculous PP underwater and probably the PP being slightly over the top throughout the rest of the level, this is an accomplished level.

I'm not entirely keen on the way the flagroom works, mostly because it's next to impossible to defend, but also because it doesn't feel like a flagroom. I don't feel guided to this location by the layout of the level, and with the bling in my face I actually walked past the flag without even realizing it at first.
The connections on the far outside of the level that connect the flagbase sides with the giant multi-engine rooms that have exits to the bridges felt a bit too far out at times. My initial few flagruns guided me into a wall a few times because it seemed the exit should be there, but it was 3-4 meters off to the side. It's nitpicking, but honest feedback, right?

I do sort of like the dual bridges. I was hoping there'd be an additional chance to cross it as a flag carrier besides the shieldbelt room, but this works.
The level is of course extremely polished and it does look somewhat fresh with using stock assets, which deserves props.

I do still have a problem with the way UT3 does the visual stuff. The level is so full of decoration and emissive materials and intense post-processing that I have to look where the weapons are hidden in the geometry. The linkgun in this case especially. Nonetheless, a very solid looking and playing level. Good luck to you in phase 3.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
wow its awesome, definitly worth the wait.
The mesh work is excellent, i havent even plaed it with bots yet i just looked around for like 15 minutes thats how cool it is, subsequently i have no feedback on gameplay :p
I like the PP, but id like to see how it looks with it toned down a bit, to compare.
The lens flare you used for the sun is deadly, is it custom?

the only problem is you spelt author wrong in the read me :p

well done on winning best ctf map in msuc.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Aside from a few small culldistance popping issues, the ridiculous PP underwater and probably the PP being slightly over the top throughout the rest of the level, this is an accomplished level.

I'm not entirely keen on the way the flagroom works, mostly because it's next to impossible to defend, but also because it doesn't feel like a flagroom. I don't feel guided to this location by the layout of the level, and with the bling in my face I actually walked past the flag without even realizing it at first.
The connections on the far outside of the level that connect the flagbase sides with the giant multi-engine rooms that have exits to the bridges felt a bit too far out at times. My initial few flagruns guided me into a wall a few times because it seemed the exit should be there, but it was 3-4 meters off to the side. It's nitpicking, but honest feedback, right?

I do sort of like the dual bridges. I was hoping there'd be an additional chance to cross it as a flag carrier besides the shieldbelt room, but this works.
The level is of course extremely polished and it does look somewhat fresh with using stock assets, which deserves props.

I do still have a problem with the way UT3 does the visual stuff. The level is so full of decoration and emissive materials and intense post-processing that I have to look where the weapons are hidden in the geometry. The linkgun in this case especially. Nonetheless, a very solid looking and playing level. Good luck to you in phase 3.

Agreed, especially on the PP in the water. Looking in its pretty much crystal clear, i dive in and i can't even see the Armour anymore. The light brightness also goes up, does not happen in water.

I still feel the lighting could have done with some work. Outside there is a huge-f-ass sun. Yet the lighting is just as bright indoors as it is outdoors.

And urr, there's a link gun?!

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Thanks for the good comments everyone. Makes me really happy :)

Yeah I would agree, It was my first effort remmember, Im quite happy with it :) Tell you what tho, allot of people dont seem to like the brightness so I will do an update with less blur in the water and lower PP settings.

wow its awesome, definitly worth the wait.
The mesh work is excellent, i havent even plaed it with bots yet i just looked around for like 15 minutes thats how cool it is, subsequently i have no feedback on gameplay :p
I like the PP, but id like to see how it looks with it toned down a bit, to compare.
The lens flare you used for the sun is deadly, is it custom?

the only problem is you spelt author wrong in the read me :p

well done on winning best ctf map in msuc.

Hell yes its custom :)

Lots of feedback suggests many don't like the brightness very much? its supposed to be a hot planet, but ill see about dimming this a tad, but I'm keeping my version how it is. :)

EDIT:
after all the feedback, I thought Id see about toning down the brightness, there's is a -0.002 red channel overlay over the whole of the level (imagine a small amount of red light added to your brightness) I inverted that to darken the overlay making it 0.002 and i increased the starting distance of the fog.

So you were curious to see what it would look like toned down? I hope you would pic the one on the right as I do. :)
the pic on the left is the result. But its not what I intended the level to look like. I like the look of the right (original) picture as this is how it was intended to be. But to give you a comparison, this is what it would look like.
[Screenshot]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5521/brightness.png[/Screenshot]
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5521/brightness.png

Last edited:

minifloppy

Jan 14, 2009
I can't try it right now as my GPU stopped working yesterday :rolleyes:, will play it as soon as I get a new one.

Judging from the screens it looks really nice! Good work :)

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
does anyone who have version 1.1 have an issue with the sun in the sky>? Iv been told its showing a yellow box effect? I dont see this and I have only one report of this!.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Very sexy
Review is up
:)
The sun looks fine to me btw.

So your not having any issue with the sun? good to know, I think that person maybe has driver issues, can people please let me know if they see it ok or not.

Also thanks firefly for the review, im happy which what I read :) only thing is you say no backstory, I know with my other two maps I didnt but I did write a discreiption for this map? do you not see it? its in the Ini fine and should appear in the description?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
lol not for my map its not hahahahaha funny, I say that makes up for firefly forgetting that there is a back story haha funny.. can you fix that firefly? there is a backstory? I dont know how you missed it?

I'm really sorry everyone, I found some bugs and I don't want to submit into the MSU with these bugs so, there's going to be one last version. Im really sorry about the 3 versions in one week. Its been a but of a rush with the MSU so close

and for any offline players reading this. I have a version of CTF-drearys with improved lighting (prob wont notice) but if you want it send me a PM, it will overwrite the old version.

Last edited: